Is this real? Focus with Amber Alps

abrahamstechnology

12 Dec 2019, 15:22

I've been contacting recyclers to see if I could find any junked Alps keyboards and one of them sent me this photo of a Focus with Orange/Amber Alps, could Focuses actually come with these or is this just a community project they found photos of? I don't want to be conned into buying rubber domes so I need to make sure if this is real or not.
Alps%20Keyboards%20Scrap.jpg
Alps%20Keyboards%20Scrap.jpg (52.92 KiB) Viewed 2181 times

Chyros

12 Dec 2019, 15:40

I have never seen any Focus keyboards, younger or older, with these switches. I highly doubt it's stock. They appear to have been developed specifically for Apple.

ball00n

12 Dec 2019, 15:41

It's a project by Mattr567. You can find more pictures here:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45 ... msg2310082

abrahamstechnology

12 Dec 2019, 18:38

Thanks, dodged a bullet with that one.

Ilostmytoeinvietnam

21 Dec 2019, 07:12

abrahamstechnology wrote:
12 Dec 2019, 15:22
I've been contacting recyclers to see if I could find any junked Alps keyboards and one of them sent me this photo of a Focus with Orange/Amber Alps, could Focuses actually come with these or is this just a community project they found photos of? I don't want to be conned into buying rubber domes so I need to make sure if this is real or not.
Alps%20Keyboards%20Scrap.jpg
the switch was specifically meant for the apple keyboards. this is the only thing that you really need to know, except for one little thing. skcm amber was the more tactile version of skcm blue, making this a pretty much instant match for most people that tried it. the only problem with these a lot of the time wasn't the switch, but the case and the layout bother a lot of people, me included, apple, no matter how anything their old keyboards were, they still had some horrible anti-features, so i can understand the need to put this in a new keyboard entirely. there is also the possibility that there was some stock left of skcm amber alps, and they used them for a batch in a separate keyboard. that exact thing happens a lot more then you may think, like the pink starburst thing that happened fairly recently. I know that this didn't really give any concrete evidence to what this oddity might be, just some leads and some things to think about.

abrahamstechnology

21 Dec 2019, 07:39

Would be interesting if it were true but they outright stole the photo from a 2016 post.

Mattr567

21 Dec 2019, 09:06

Yes, that's my old 3001 - originally came with SKCM Whites. Great switch but the build quality of the board just wasn't there, plus I could never get the calc screen to display correctly. Ambers are best suited in a custom. Focus always made great looking boards though. I eventually sold it on /r/mechmarket, but I believe I swapped it back to whites before I did so.

Big throwback for me lol, a different era. I don't really post too much anymore, on GH for sure. Life happened.

Return to “Keyboards”