Best modern contact-based linear switch.

Ilostmytoeinvietnam

17 Dec 2019, 18:54

I am not new to linears that aren’t exactly new, and have tried the best of the best contactless switches. The only problem that I had with most of them, is the fact that they actuate way too high for me. (In relation to the contactless switches). And I know keyboards like the wooting that use contactless switches have adjustable actuation, but I can’t use those in a custom board. I could however, except defeat and go with the original pcb on the wooting, or something like the steelseries apex pro, but I still much prefer the Planck layout. What is the best contact-based linear on the market right now. Looking mainly for mx style sliders, but Matias or skcl/skcm would also be fine, because there is an alps style plate and pcb for the Planck.

TheInverseKey

17 Dec 2019, 19:22

Most MX switches are pretty good with regards to smoothness but personally MX Blacks if used a long time are very smooth.

Ilostmytoeinvietnam

17 Dec 2019, 19:45

TheInverseKey wrote:
17 Dec 2019, 19:22
Most MX switches are pretty good with regards to smoothness but personally MX Blacks if used a long time are very smooth.
I will happily agree with that statement, however, the market for vintage or retooled blacks are at an all time low right now. It’s such a shame, because the sound of retooled blacks are mint

Findecanor

17 Dec 2019, 19:53

I don't usually care, because I like tactiles, but the kids on Reddit seem to be into Gateron Ink now.
Last edited by Findecanor on 18 Dec 2019, 15:19, edited 1 time in total.

daguil68367

17 Dec 2019, 20:21

Novelkeys Creams with UHMWPE stems are probably your best bet. Smoothest materials, great sound.

Ilostmytoeinvietnam

17 Dec 2019, 22:00

daguil68367 wrote:
17 Dec 2019, 20:21
Novelkeys Creams with UHMWPE stems are probably your best bet. Smoothest materials, great sound.
They sold out of those months ago. If you bought them, I would be willing to buy them off of you?

cli

18 Dec 2019, 09:08

Ilostmytoeinvietnam wrote:
I am not new to linears that aren’t exactly new, and have tried the best of the best contactless switches. The only problem that I had with most of them, is the fact that they actuate way too high for me. (In relation to the contactless switches). And I know keyboards like the wooting that use contactless switches have adjustable actuation, but I can’t use those in a custom board. I could however, except defeat and go with the original pcb on the wooting, or something like the steelseries apex pro, but I still much prefer the Planck layout. What is the best contact-based linear on the market right now. Looking mainly for mx style sliders, but Matias or skcl/skcm would also be fine, because there is an alps style plate and pcb for the Planck.
I don't have a lot of experience with linear switches but Thomas thinks Alps linear switches are the second best.
I have linearized the Alps Bamboo Blacks with a stiffer spring and lubed the sliders. Don't know if the lubing was necessarily, but in my imagination it's a lot smoother.
https://www.keyboardco.com/product/24k- ... s-60cn.asp

Chyros

18 Dec 2019, 10:12

cli wrote:
18 Dec 2019, 09:08
I don't have a lot of experience with linear switches but Thomas thinks Alps linear switches are the second best.
I have linearized the Alps Bamboo Blacks with a stiffer spring and lubed the sliders. Don't know if the lubing was necessarily, but in my imagination it's a lot smoother.
https://www.keyboardco.com/product/24k- ... s-60cn.asp
I like linear Alps very much, yes. Smooth, nicely weighted, just the right feel.

Another one I'd seriously recommend is Fujitsu leaf springs - try the 3rd generation (get them clean). Fantastic switches if you like linears! :D Turbo smooth and beautifully weighted.

Muirium
µ

18 Dec 2019, 12:21

You know when you're on Deskthority when even a thread with "best modern" in the title yields recommendations of decades old boards. It's "modern" if it's new old stock, right?

Ilostmytoeinvietnam

18 Dec 2019, 14:46

Muirium wrote:
18 Dec 2019, 12:21
You know when you're on Deskthority when even a thread with "best modern" in the title yields recommendations of decades old boards. It's "modern" if it's new old stock, right?
I guess so. As I said, the plank has support for alps skcm skcl switches, but I was more looking for mx style yes.

abrahamstechnology

19 Dec 2019, 05:45

Ilostmytoeinvietnam

25 Dec 2019, 22:26

I haven't looked at this thread for a long time, and I just wanna say, um, what the fuck? I have never seen those switches in my life. could you give me some documentation for these switches? maybe some video's? anything?

Ilostmytoeinvietnam

25 Dec 2019, 22:36

if I am not mistaken, isn't this the same brand that had the whole stealios thing with kbdfans? granted I did not keep up with any of this, but in that case it just doesn't seem like a trustable brand

I don't feel inclined to do any more research into this particular switch, so if you have anything you would like to tell me about these, that would be great. I don't feel good about these whatsoever, but I am not not open to looking into them if they really are any good.

I do just have one question if you are up for answering. when I did my research, I found that this is simply just a group buy, or at least some versions of it are. I just wanna know if this one is.

swampangel

26 Dec 2019, 14:20

if I am not mistaken, isn't this the same brand that had the whole stealios thing with kbdfans? granted I did not keep up with any of this, but in that case it just doesn't seem like a trustable brand
A little more info on that from the latest T1 group buy at viewtopic.php?f=50&t=22696 and https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyb ... statement/
I do just have one question if you are up for answering. when I did my research, I found that this is simply just a group buy, or at least some versions of it are. I just wanna know if this one is.
Others who have actually bought from Durock can confirm this, but afaik the group buys have been organized to get a better price due to MOQ, but you're free to order directly from them on aliexpress if you're willing to pay the slightly higher unit price + any duty.

ZedTheMan

26 Dec 2019, 20:24

swampangel wrote:
26 Dec 2019, 14:20
A little more info on that from the latest T1 group buy at viewtopic.php?f=50&t=22696 and https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyb ... statement/
Others who have actually bought from Durock can confirm this, but afaik the group buys have been organized to get a better price due to MOQ, but you're free to order directly from them on aliexpress if you're willing to pay the slightly higher unit price + any duty.
You can also buy their linears and t1s from primekeyboards, but again, it's up to the buyer to determine if they trust this company. As for me, I've been very happy with their switches, both linears and tactiles.

Return to “Keyboards”