New HHKBs are here

adhoc

19 Dec 2019, 09:20

Haven't seen a thread about this...new HHKBs are here!

Summary (copied from keebtalk.com):
  • Three new models: HYBRID Type-S, HYBRID and Classic.
  • All models use USB Type-C.
  • HYBRID Type-S and HYBRID models support both USB connection and Bluetooth connection. (Hence the name?)
  • HYBRID Type-S and HYBRID models can be paired with up to 4 devices via Bluetooth at the same time.
  • HYBRID Type-S and HYBRID models are (almost) fully programmable. The software is Windows only, but the customized key map can be saved to the keyboard itself and used on all other devices.
More info here: Hybrid Type-S (price 32,000 Yen or ~ 260 EUR without tax)

Hybrid (price 27,500 Yen or ~ 225 EUR without tax)

Classic (price 23,000 Yen or ~ 190 EUR without tax)

In my opinion a welcome refresh, although quite a bit conservative. As expected to anyone who has been following these boards for a while now. I'm interested in the classic, but we'll see how things pan out if I'll decide for the "upgrade". The USB hub on HHKB Pro 2 is basically unusable, so I'm happy to see it gone. It seems like all boards also get an upgrade to the bottom anti-slip surfaces. The Hybrid versions seem to be able to connect to tablets, phones, and computers.

Unfortunately, it seems like the classic will not get the programmable feature, sadly. And the only Type S variant now is in the Hybrid version. All in all, the complete line up refresh seems to be primarily motivated by grouping/unifying assembly parts together.

Additionally, I have not anywhere seen any mention of the space bars. I seriously hope they finally upgraded the ABS space bars to PBT.
Last edited by adhoc on 19 Dec 2019, 09:41, edited 3 times in total.

adhoc

19 Dec 2019, 09:30

Lots of additional pictures here:
https://image.itmedia.co.jp/l/im/pcuser ... sic-01.jpg

Launch event video here (in Japanese):
Some typing sounds and additional video shots here:

Muirium
µ

19 Dec 2019, 12:58

adhoc

19 Dec 2019, 14:13

Errrr....thanks. Missed that completely.

Return to “Keyboards”