This is so sad to see...

Fkazim

21 Dec 2019, 03:09

Classic IBM stuff just being destroyed :cry:

Something so rare just being destroyed like that.

The sacrilege: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlRlHx1sbu0

anmq91

21 Dec 2019, 12:45

At least there wasn't a beam-spring board that he scrapped along with it! XD These controllers used to be used with beam-springs.

Fkazim

21 Dec 2019, 13:38

Yeah at least it was just the controller but still one less IBM. As if IBM stuff wasn't rare already.

anmq91

21 Dec 2019, 16:03

Fkazim wrote:
21 Dec 2019, 13:38
Yeah at least it was just the controller but still one less IBM. As if IBM stuff wasn't rare already.
I feel ya :/ In Europe it's even harder to come across IBM stuff. I guess it is a case of get what you can while it lasts and treasure it for life! :lol:

Ilostmytoeinvietnam

25 Dec 2019, 22:22

this is very upsetting. however, there could be another reason that they are scraping these old pieces of tech. he could be working for some place and not have a say in what he does, but films it. or he could be scraping it for parts, to sell or for personal use.

Findecanor

26 Dec 2019, 12:08

See the comments. He is scrapping it to harvest the gold inside.

Fkazim

29 Dec 2019, 04:02

Findecanor wrote:
Yeah unacceptable!!! God damn

-Space-NATO-

29 Dec 2019, 17:11

Gold damn!

vometia
irritant

30 Dec 2019, 17:00

Not going to watch the video. I've encountered people who burn stuff to get the metal out and it's extremely unpleasant for anyone else in the vicinity. It's technically illegal but nobody with the power to do anything about it really cares.

joebeazelman

30 Dec 2019, 17:41

Wow! All those big, flat and straight aluminum plates would make excellent flatstock! The dummy doesn’t realize he can get way more if he sold them on eBay. You’d think aluminum is cheap until you ever have to procure some for a machining project. The prices will have you crying.

Scarpia

30 Dec 2019, 17:53

You all do realize that is what we look like to the vintage computing guys. Always cannibalizing some old keyboard for switches or keycaps, thus destroying a perfectly good vintage keyboard that could have completed some collector’s vintage system. I’m not sure we are in a great place to judge the gold guy.

User101

30 Dec 2019, 21:01

Scarpia wrote:
You all do realize that is what we look like to the vintage computing guys. Always cannibalizing some old keyboard for switches or keycaps, thus destroying a perfectly good vintage keyboard that could have completed some collector’s vintage system. I’m not sure we are in a great place to judge the gold guy.
I 100% agree

zrrion

31 Dec 2019, 00:25

we still use the stuff though. disassembly and shredding/melting are 2 different things

Elrick

31 Dec 2019, 03:08

Fkazim wrote:
29 Dec 2019, 04:02
Findecanor wrote:
Would instead LOVE to see the complete scrapping and destruction of any Razer keyboards :D .

That would be the most decent approach to eliminating any more worthless Junk, that goes into land Fill across this unfortunate planet.

YES, someone post something of merit and goodness on this Forum site instead of such sad desecration of ancient IBM hardware :( .

vometia
irritant

01 Jan 2020, 15:56

Scarpia wrote:
I dunno, old computing costs a fortune to run. I have an account on an actual PDP-10 somewhere and wonder how they can afford to keep it going. I'm reminded of the VaxBar guy who hollowed out a classic Vax 11/780 to turn it into something more useful, i.e. a bar. And that's from someone who loves Vaxes and considers that thing her first proper computing experience (well, a Vax 11/785, as the then Hatfield Poly owned) though as he says, the beastie had already acted as an organ donor for two other 780s so there was little left to remove.

Polecat

01 Jan 2020, 20:53

I worked at a recycling place in the '80s and '90s, and we couldn't give that stuff away. We couldn't afford to warehouse it forever, so the choices were to scrap it for a nickel a pound or to crush it down and put it in the dumpster. I didn't watch the video, but most of the guys here who break things down for scrap don't have ebay accounts or even a vehicle to bring their haul to the recycler. They're looking for their next meal (or dime bag) and living in a Maytag box or on a buddy's couch. That's the reality of the scrap biz, which is tanked right now by the way, because China no longer wants our garbage (imagine that!).

Return to “Keyboards”