Telecomet terminal

kralcifer

02 Jan 2020, 00:48

I'm excited about this telecomet terminal that I purchased from ebay. I was hoping for some help on a couple of fronts

retrobrite

I absolutely love the colored keycaps of this keyboard. I was wondering whether retrobrite works well on colored keycaps. i've only seen it in the context of the beige, gray type keycaps and keyboard cases. Is it safe to retrobrite colored keycaps?

keycap top:

keycap bottom:

quite a bit of difference in color and brightness.

Switch type

I'm trying to identify the type of switch used. Seems like micro switch hall effect or magnetic reed. I've never had a keyboard with either. I'd like to figure out how much cleaning I should do. I'm not against desoldering the switches if that's the best way to get at cleaning everything.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

02 Jan 2020, 20:57

I have this same keyboard. Probably from the same seller even. I’ll look back at the pictures I took to jog my memory and share what I found out.

Off the top of my head:

#1 the keycaps did not take well to retrobrite. For instance, the apparent fading in color on the yellow caps didn’t even out much even as the some of the beige caps were getting burnt by the retro rite. I’m not the expert on retrobriting but this suggested to me that the discoloration on the colored caps might not be reversible.

#2 the key switches are ITW magnetic valve aka cortron. DMA just added support for mag valve switches to CommonSense but I’ve not yet been able to get it to work (though this was a few months back by now)

The other thing that I recall is the case is made of a very strange material. Some sort of pressure treated plastic or something. It almost looks like engineered wood. Mine had a large crack in it so I glued it together and repainted the case. Tried to match the color best I could cause it makes for a really cool look.

kralcifer

03 Jan 2020, 06:04

Thanks snacks! I’d love to hear more and see your pics.

SneakyRobb
THINK

10 Jan 2020, 21:57

Hi, The wood finish plastic reminds me of injection-molded structural-foam plastic. This method makes a strong-lightweight plastic part for little material very inexpensively. The molds can be pre-painted or textured to apply numerous surface textures to parts. You can easily give the part a very strange almost woodgrain like finish. It is used on things like Spirit-levels where you do not want to scratch surfaces like on fine cabinets. As well obviously for large structural plastic parts

Using this level today reminded me of this post as it has a similar surface appearance.

This is the level http://www.johnsonlevel.com/P/1880/Stru ... orpedoLeve
spirit level.jpg
spirit level.jpg (3.58 MiB) Viewed 95 times

Return to “Keyboards”