IBM 5251 Converter Alternative to xwhatsit

forter4

09 Jan 2020, 21:24

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-Beam-Sprin ... 2749.l2649

I was desperate to find an xwhatsit converter but it looks like no one is making them anymore. I took a chance on this, and holy hell, it works! It even turns on the solenoid!

The drawback is that it has set the keys to a specific layout already and you can't remap it the way you could we xwhatsit's controller. But for people who can't find a fully built out xwhatsit controller, this is a GREAT alternative, especially since it's literally plug and play!

He said he also has a converter for basically most beamspring models (including the 6580 Displaywriter, which I've been looking for). I plan to follow up with him to see when he'll post it on ebay

kmnov2017

09 Jan 2020, 21:31

DMA's commonsense using a cypress development kit costs like 10 dollars....

forter4

09 Jan 2020, 21:55

kmnov2017 wrote:
09 Jan 2020, 21:31
DMA's commonsense using a cypress development kit costs like 10 dollars....
Yup, I get that, but I breezed through the steps and I'm sure it's easy for some people, but 1) my electronics knowledge stops right at "resetting your computer to fix something, 2) I probably could learn it to be honest, but really, I also don't have the time or energy to learn exactly what to do, and 3) I have the money, so I'd rather pay more for something that's plug and play

I guess this may have been the wrong forum to post this in given that most people on this board understand all of those schematics. I do like to tinker with things, but I understand my limitations (including time and energy) so like I said, I don't mind paying a premium for someone to figure it out for me and for it to work immediately without any fuss

Return to “Keyboards”