Help programming PS2 Tipro/Cherry RC128BM

kelvinhall05

22 Feb 2020, 18:31

Hi, just recently got this "keyboard" in the mail. I was wondering if there were any good guides on how to program one of these and use it on a modern system. I know that I'll need a 32-bit OS to program it, does that mean I can only *use* it on a 32-bit OS? I've tried using a 32-bit Windows tablet with the Tipro plugged into a PS2 to USB converter, but it wouldn't get detected. VM didn't work either. Is it because I'm passing through a PS2 Keypro, or does that even matter? And before someone suggests to replace the controller, unless I can somehow bypass the PS2 controller that's soldered on, I can't replace it. Plus, I don't even know where I would find a replacement controller.

tl;dr: How do I program a PS2 Tipro?

t8c

22 Feb 2020, 22:37

You can use it on any computer with a PS2 to USB converter but programming is restricted to a 32 bit OS on a computer with a native ps2 port.

I would search locally for a cheap 10-15 year old computer. You can use it as a retro pc or a NAS afterwards.

Lanrefni

23 Feb 2020, 00:35

Copy/paste of my first post on the site-

First off I want to thank you all for the sheer mass of info on this site,it has helped a lot.

Secondly regarding the subject-
I spent a good chunk of today swearing up a storm trying to find a copy of Xp to run the Cherry Tools so I could program the board,I failed miserably in this endeavor,then I remembered the RC128BM is a rebadged Tipro,so I grabbed a copy of their Changme software,then used WinToUsb to put 32 bit Windows 10 on a thumbdrive,booted it up,installed Changeme and it recognized the board and allowed me to program it. :D

Wanted to put this up to save others the hassle of needing a copy of Xp to do this.

Hopefully this saves someone else from rage inducing frustration.

kelvinhall05

23 Feb 2020, 01:13

t8c wrote:
22 Feb 2020, 22:37
You can use it on any computer with a PS2 to USB converter but programming is restricted to a 32 bit OS on a computer with a native ps2 port.

I would search locally for a cheap 10-15 year old computer. You can use it as a retro pc or a NAS afterwards.
Probably should've updated this thread, but this is exactly what I figured out. Works great now. Thanks!

kelvinhall05

23 Feb 2020, 01:14

Lanrefni wrote:
23 Feb 2020, 00:35
Copy/paste of my first post on the site-

First off I want to thank you all for the sheer mass of info on this site,it has helped a lot.

Secondly regarding the subject-
I spent a good chunk of today swearing up a storm trying to find a copy of Xp to run the Cherry Tools so I could program the board,I failed miserably in this endeavor,then I remembered the RC128BM is a rebadged Tipro,so I grabbed a copy of their Changme software,then used WinToUsb to put 32 bit Windows 10 on a thumbdrive,booted it up,installed Changeme and it recognized the board and allowed me to program it. :D

Wanted to put this up to save others the hassle of needing a copy of Xp to do this.

Hopefully this saves someone else from rage inducing frustration.
That's exactly what I did, and it works wonderfully (albeit pretty slowly :P). Thanks!

kbdfr
The Tiproman

23 Feb 2020, 09:17

And now to programming itself, here's a guide how you can program your Tipro on-the-fly,
i.e. while actually seeing what you are doing instead of programming "blind",
plus more useful tips:
Programming a Tipro board on-the-fly […]

Any more questions, simply ask.
Spoiler:
Here's how my multi-module Tipro looked like a few years ago.
As I constantly reprogram keys particularly in the right-hand module depending on my actual tasks,
it now looks quite different,
but still works like a charm!

Sidle

27 Feb 2020, 16:01

kbdfr wrote:
23 Feb 2020, 09:17
And now to programming itself, here's a guide how you can program your Tipro on-the-fly,
i.e. while actually seeing what you are doing instead of programming "blind",
plus more useful tips:
Programming a Tipro board on-the-fly […]

Any more questions, simply ask.
Spoiler:
Here's how my multi-module Tipro looked like a few years ago.
As I constantly reprogram keys particularly in the right-hand module depending on my actual tasks,
it now looks quite different,
but still works like a charm!
Wow! What a set up! And that last thread is full of useful information, thanks.

After opening up my TM128A ps/2 version, there are some header pins, two sets of 7, and one set of 9. this keyboard is a cid-am-km128a (what's the difference between cid / mid). i was wondering could these header pins be used for testing the keys? It's strange there are so many, and 14 * 9 = 126, more than the amount of keys that appear to be on this layout (two columns have double keys that appear to be common to this model). If there are matrix outputs, then surely a new controller could be added for usb output?

Failing this, could a cheaper system like a pi with a hacked-on ps/2 port be used. how is tipro on open sourcing old code? I know kinesis are open towards hackers (advantage user!), is tipro?

The page http://www.tipro.net/support/faq-troubleshoot/ shows: "Programming PS/2 content can be done via the RS232 interface, " - though I can't find any more information on this. I'd imagine using the RS232 interface would be easier on a pi than hacking a ps/2 port, but that still leaves the actual code!

and finally, inside c:/tipro folder I see some interesting looking files and folders - a MIDAPI directory, but the PDF seems to suggest there are no libraries for writing to the keyboard in a nice way (e.g. setKey('some code')... then a writeKeyboard()), (though there's a readeeprom / writeeeprom which offers a possibility, but it seems very low level and will need lots more investigation). As for interesting DLL files: COMM232.dll, COVER32.dll, cp2ucc.dll, dwlGina.dll, NewSl2.dll, WComPort.dll, WKbdPort.dll and WKMidApi.dll all sound interesting and will need more investigation.

If it's possible to take the dll and use it in a separate application (it should be) then that could be a game changer for possibly getting it working on a linux environment.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

27 Feb 2020, 17:13

A pic of the PCB of your keyboard would help understand what you mean.

Concerning double keys: Tipro matrix keyboards normally have a full matrix, "double keys" are just double keycaps sitting on two switches with only one of them programmed (are you aware you can open the ChangeMe software and explore its features without having a Tipro keyboard at all?).

Sidle

27 Feb 2020, 17:30

kbdfr wrote:
A pic of the PCB of your keyboard would help understand what you mean..
The images aren't great but, they should be good enough!

The controller area
(interestingly, that nut is the same size as what holds model m keyboard cases together)

The header pins

The board

I've tried to use Change me on win 8.1. It crashes. A lot. I tried to start designing a layout, but as soon as I start typing content it, it just crashed. I gave up :(. I do have it working on a VMWare XP though (not that it's of any real use!)

kelvinhall05

27 Feb 2020, 18:20

Sidle wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 17:30
kbdfr wrote:
A pic of the PCB of your keyboard would help understand what you mean..
The images aren't great but, they should be good enough!

The controller area
(interestingly, that nut is the same size as what holds model m keyboard cases together)

The header pins

The board

I've tried to use Change me on win 8.1. It crashes. A lot. I tried to start designing a layout, but as soon as I start typing content it, it just crashed. I gave up :(. I do have it working on a VMWare XP though (not that it's of any real use!)
ChangeMe from an external hard drive running Win 10 32-bit works fine for me.

Return to “Keyboards”