NEC PC-8801 mkIIsr with NON Blues

-AT-

27 Feb 2020, 03:52

Hi All,

I purchased the keyboard from Yahoo Japan Auctions.
Has anyone come across this particular model in anything other that SKCM Blue switches?I think this might be a one off.
I took pictures so judge by yourself.
Also Whites,Pines or something else?

https://imgur.com/a/9bj8oGi

Raumfahrer

27 Feb 2020, 04:31

Interesting, they look like Pine whites.
Could it be a project board? (I cannot judge if it has been desoldered or not)

I had thought this model designation had only Blues but then maybe that assumption is incorrect

Willy4876

27 Feb 2020, 05:01

Raumfahrer wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 04:31
Interesting, they look like Pine whites.
Could it be a project board? (I cannot judge if it has been desoldered or not)

I had thought this model designation had only Blues but then maybe that assumption is incorrect
I'm not all that experienced with this kind of thing but it does kinda look like that. If you look at the solder joints for just about everything except the switches you can't see much of the yellow/brown flux. By contrast if you look at the joints for the switches there seems to be a good bit more left over flux. It's kinda hard to tell from the one close up photo though.

-AT-

27 Feb 2020, 05:27

I have uploaded more shots of the pcb soldering . The seller mentioned in his ad that the item was in his warehouse for 30 years and because he had to move he dug it out after 30 years and cleaned it to the best of his knowledge. https://imgur.com/a/9bj8oGi

p.s. Check the bottom shots for more pcb close-ups.

John Doe

27 Feb 2020, 05:37

Judging from the update pics, the joints are very like original if let me say, and thats good news.

-AT-

27 Feb 2020, 09:17

Do you know of anyone successfully converting one of these to work on modern pc's?

Chyros

27 Feb 2020, 09:56

-AT- wrote:
Do you know of anyone successfully converting one of these to work on modern pc's?
It's probably not that hard - it's brainless.

Raumfahrer

27 Feb 2020, 10:13

is that the weird thing that looks like a PS 2 but is not?

edit: no it is not, it is that strange larger sized connector thing
if it were the other version (that looks like a PS2 but is not, there is a guy here in Tokyo who makes and sells the converter for it

-AT-

27 Feb 2020, 10:35

Large Size 13 pin Connector , :( hélas i think my options are limited if i can't convert it .Gut it !!! Or sell it as a whole package of happy goodness to the next Big Brain person that can somehow convert it

p.s. I love the mix of key-cap materials (abs and pbt) they give a seriously unique typing experience one of which is very attractive to me in particular.

Raumfahrer

27 Feb 2020, 12:18

that is one of my favorite boards, I have the Type C or D .. I forget (the one with the different connector)

I think for that one its about handwiring. I think someone here had found a way to convert it ... somewhere in this forum. If I find the link I will drop it here

chip chop

27 Feb 2020, 12:58

Rauha

27 Feb 2020, 16:12

Chyros wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 09:56
-AT- wrote:
It's probably not that hard - it's brainless.
And the matrix seems unusually easy to decode.

Could propbaly do it just based on pictures posted alone. Super easy to follow traces, clearly marked and numbered switch locations and row/column pin outs.

claup812

17 Apr 2020, 00:46

I am guessing that the seller has replaced the switches, as those NEC boards were made before ALPS introduced the white slider. Looking at the PCB i can tell for sure that the switches haven't been desoldered. %90 of Blues came with a grey switch plate, and the Whites only white switch plate. Have a look inside the switch.

TheInverseKey

17 Apr 2020, 05:32

claup812 wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 00:46
I am guessing that the seller has replaced the switches, as those NEC boards were made before ALPS introduced the white slider. Looking at the PCB i can tell for sure that the switches haven't been desoldered. %90 of Blues came with a grey switch plate, and the Whites only white switch plate. Have a look inside the switch.
The seller didn't replace the switches, this must be late model. If you look closely the solder on the switches is uniform therefore, the switches are original to the keyboard. If the seller replaced the switches you would be able to tell because humans are not that uniform when it comes to soldering.

-AT-

17 Apr 2020, 06:12

https://imgur.com/a/UeNbYd5 Opened switch , it is original ,non-tampered with.

Cheeky promotion, the keyboard is for sale in the marketplace.

Return to “Keyboards”