i need some help designing a new computer keyboard

adamcobabe

12 Mar 2020, 13:12

Check out colemak layout.

squizzler

12 Mar 2020, 19:09

There are numerous places that claim to have invented optimal layouts. Wikipedia lists several alternative layouts.

Unfortunately the commitment in becoming proficient means you can't just take a few layouts for a proverbial spin round the block and decide which you prefer so you are at the mercy of who can make the most convincing case for their favoured layout. I have started using RSTHD layout on the basis of the description of its creator (below). Like me he had tried the Malt layout previously and his description of what he regarded as shortcomings resonated with me.

Edit - this needs a split 'ortholinear' keyboard. Which you should be using at any rate if you are serious about an optimal clean sheet design :)

https://xsznix.wordpress.com/2016/05/16 ... hd-layout/

Findecanor

12 Mar 2020, 19:39

Sorry guys. OP is a bot.

squizzler

12 Mar 2020, 20:20

But it's not spamming us about dubious products...

Darkshado

13 Mar 2020, 06:11

Wait for it... (They usually come back and edit their posts. Latest trend has been to hide the links in the tiniest characters possible, not so much so you'd click them but for SEO purposes.)

robo

13 Mar 2020, 16:26

I looked at their post history... the posts appear to be from a real person. Aside from this low effort post, what makes you think they're a bot?

(Also, FWIW, I switched to Dvorak for a decade, then switched back to QWERTY, and my typing speed for both was completely identical. Kind of convinced me that alternative layouts were not worth the hassle of not being able to type on anyone's setup than my own.)

Findecanor

13 Mar 2020, 19:08

robo wrote:
13 Mar 2020, 16:26
I looked at their post history... the posts appear to be from a real person. Aside from this low effort post, what makes you think they're a bot?
The top post is gone now. adamcobabe's post is a reply to that.
The original poster had a post count of one.

I had googled for a non-trivial sub-phrase from the top post and found it earlier on another forum but dated many years ago. That's how I have found earlier bots like this.
I'm sorry, I should have supplied the link so that you wouldn't just have to take my word for it.

Return to “Keyboards”