Numpad with non-Cherry switches

OreoCookie

09 Apr 2020, 04:43

First time poster here. I'm looking for recommendations for a good numpad, both new and vintage. My wife is mostly using a laptop at work, but I noticed she is relying on a crappy numpad to enter data. I'd like to get a nice numpad with a decent set of mechanical key switches.

There are two constraints: first of all, the switches should be quiet. Currently, we are both working from home, but she has to be able to use it in an office environment, and they aren't too fond of loud switches. Secondly, I don't want any Cherry switches. I find them mediocre and forgettable.

I also have a few wants: it'd be nice if the unit were black, because that is the color of her work laptops and her monitor. The numpad should be sturdy and I don't care for nicknacks like rgb lighting. Some numpads have helpful buttons on them like Tab, so that'd be a plus, too.

Fire away! :)

ddrfraser1

09 Apr 2020, 05:06

I use the topre realforce numpad regularly. You can get it in black and it is fairly quiet stock. If you are willing to take it apart (it has a hidden screw under one of the rubber feet) and lube it, it will be an excellent ‘typing’ experience but is still good stock. Even better, I would install silencing rings. The major draw back it that it is about as expensive as a nice keyboard.

The other recommendation would be to get a varmilo numpad and put zilent switches from zeal pc in it. They give a great tactile experience and are as if not more quiet than rubber dome keyboards.

enrique.aliaga

09 Apr 2020, 05:27

Look no further: Realforce 23UB has all the features you’re asking for. The Topre switches on it are fairly quiet, they aren’t Cherries (yuck!), and that model happens to be black.

Build quality is outstanding, as anything Topre makes; and there’s a handy Tab key, as well.

Only caveat (and the reason why I don’t have one): They don’t play nicely with macOS. But if she’s a Windows/Linux user, it will work great.

OreoCookie

09 Apr 2020, 05:35

Thanks for the recommendations, it seems that there are a few with Topre switches out there. We use macOS at home, but her work laptops are Windows machines.

Are there any choices with switches other than Topre? It looks really nice, but with shipping to Japan I'd look at $160 (I checked, it isn't listed on amazon Japan).

ddrfraser1

09 Apr 2020, 16:00

If I understand what you're asking... realforce and topre are synonymous. Your options are basically:

1. Shell out for a realforce,
2. buy a numpad with silent cherry switches,
3. buy a numpad you like from filco, varmilo or others that come with switches in them, desolder the switches, buy your own nice switches (I recomend zilents from zeal pc) and solder those in or
4. you can buy some numpads that come without switches, and solder your own in. KBDfans and drop usually have some but I think they're sold out right now. however, this just came up - https://kprepublic.com/products/keycool ... ent=351840

There may be other options like a good rubber dome numpad out there that I don't know about (goldtouch maybe?) or a vintage one with alps switches however, you would need to find some quiet switches to put in it like matias quiet click switches or silenced alps.

swampangel

09 Apr 2020, 21:27

OreoCookie wrote:
Are there any choices with switches other than Topre? It looks really nice, but with shipping to Japan I'd look at $160 (I checked, it isn't listed on amazon Japan).
https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E6%9D%B1%E3%8 ... img_y?th=1 ?

Otherwise, I think ddfraser1 has summed up your options.

OreoCookie

10 Apr 2020, 08:57

swampangel wrote:
OreoCookie wrote:
https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E6%9D%B1%E3%8 ... img_y?th=1 ?
Ooh, nice find. Somehow when I searched for it, nothing came up. The price isn't stellar, but just ok.
swampangel wrote:
Otherwise, I think ddfraser1 has summed up your options.
Admittedly, I'm asking for something very, very specific and rarified. Since I don't have any soldering iron at hand, I'd probably stick to the Topre-based numpad, which seems to tick all the boxes. Thanks everyone! :)

ddrfraser1

10 Apr 2020, 16:31

If memory serves me, I ended up finding the black one on eBay. Btw, soldering is super duper easy. Don't let in intimidate you :)

Return to “Keyboards”