What to consider when trying to revive an Apple M0120 numpad?

depletedvespene

05 May 2020, 20:48

Several months ago, I bought two Apple M0120 numpads in different eBay auctions (I also got a third one, but somehow it still doesn't reach my hands).

M120 and M0120.
M120 and M0120.
two_M0120.jpg (292.85 KiB) Viewed 1286 times

Today, I finally got off my lazy ass and tested them; plugged a Hasu TMK converter, programmed to a layout of my liking, pressed each key and... the numpad on the left did its thing perfectly, but the one on the right is completely unresponsive. Switch action is fine, so it's safe to assume some electronic component inside is to be blamed.

I haven't opened the faulty numpad (I don't have the proprietary screw driver yet), but I have to wonder what should I be looking out for when I do, and what venues are available to get this numpad back into service.

Riverman

06 May 2020, 18:02

What kind of screws does it use? The only unusual screws I remember Apple back then were Torx screws, which are very common these days. Hopefully they don't use any truly odd components inside that would be impossible to replace.

Muirium
µ

06 May 2020, 18:49

I would be very tempted to just pull the controller out and replace it with something new, where you can run TMK or whatever you prefer directly. Depends how modular it is in there.

See, AEK Is even have a socketed controller chip. Dead easy to pull out. The M0110 though, I don’t remember. And I’ve never had (or desired!) one of these numpads.

depletedvespene

06 May 2020, 21:10

Riverman wrote:
06 May 2020, 18:02
What kind of screws does it use? The only unusual screws I remember Apple back then were Torx screws, which are very common these days. Hopefully they don't use any truly odd components inside that would be impossible to replace.
Indeed, those certainly look like Torx screws. And, as it turns out, my son's screwdriver set includes a couple of those... both too small for these screws. ARGH! :evil:

depletedvespene

06 May 2020, 21:16

Muirium wrote:
06 May 2020, 18:49
I would be very tempted to just pull the controller out and replace it with something new, where you can run TMK or whatever you prefer directly. Depends how modular it is in there.

See, AEK Is even have a socketed controller chip. Dead easy to pull out. The M0110 though, I don’t remember. And I’ve never had (or desired!) one of these numpads.
Well, let's hope this is the case; I bought a couple controllers last year, thinking of handwiring projects, but if one can be used for this numpad, it'll be a good thing.

As to "Why?": lustalgia. Back in the day, when we had to work with common Macintoshes, getting to use a second floppy drive was a rare luxury (even if it highly improved productivity), and getting to use an actual numpad was even more so — and I never got to use one or even see it in person. Oh, and the fun of getting to press these snappy, pingy keys without having to actually suffer using an M0110 keyboard as a main driver.

Return to “Keyboards”