Issues with a Matias Tactile Pro 4 I bought

apastuszak

14 May 2020, 02:32

I bought a Matias Tactile Pro 4 off eBay in white. I got it at a great price, and it arrived dirty. I used some ScratchX on the case to clean it up and tried to pull the keycaps off to soak them. The keycaps would not come off with gentle prying and I ordered a keycap puller.

The puller arrived today and I was shocked at how much force I needed to apply to get the key caps off. When I tried to pull the bottom left control key off, I ended up pulling the switch right off ther PCB. And then I needed to use a pair of plyers to separate the two. I've never seen anything like it.

I cleaned the key caps and reassembled the keyboard. With the amount of force I needed to use to get the caps off, I had to assume something got damaged. And sure enough, most of the keys no longer work.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

ddrfraser1

14 May 2020, 04:02

That is insane. It’s like they super glued the switches. If it’s really bad, maybe just see if you can get a new pcb. Otherwise, try this

abrahamstechnology

14 May 2020, 04:09

Matias makes the stems way too tight. The last build I did with them I cracked several new Tai-Hao keycaps trying to pull them off.
NOS Alps switches and every other Alps clone I tried don't have this problem.
I don't do builds with them anymore, I will be using another clicky Alps clone I found (it's not Tai-Hao, I don't know the manufacturer at all but they seem very nice, possibly a very early Himake switch since the bottom mold is similar to Hua-Jie AK-CN2) or NOS SKBM Alps.

apastuszak

14 May 2020, 04:31

So this is a Matias thing. For the 2 days I used the keyboard, I LOVED the switches. And when I put the keycaps back on, they slid off as easy as any other key cap. It just seems that initial pull was BRUTAL. I don't know if that was the Matias switches or this used keyboard having something spilled on it in the past.

I do think it's kind of important to be able to remove keycaps and wash them. Especially white ones.

Return to “Keyboards”