3rd Party IBM Model M/Model F Springs?

hellothere

08 Jun 2020, 02:07

I guess I should first say that this should have occurred to me three years ago when I heard about mechanical keyboards for the first time. However, I couldn't find a thread here.

There are a bunch of spring manufacturers that will sell you springs for cheap, like 200 for $10 or less. Does anyone know of a source to get these for a Model M or F or have all the specs for these springs? I'd love to get all new springs for the Model F I'm slowly restoring and/or for the Model M that I might do a bolt mod on.

Weezer

08 Jun 2020, 02:32

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/flipperspring/

I'm sure you could talk with Ellipse about buying a bunch of springs.

hellothere

08 Jun 2020, 21:18

Well, I'll post back if he'll send 200 for $10 :D

kmnov2017

08 Jun 2020, 21:48

hellothere wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 02:07
I guess I should first say that this should have occurred to me three years ago when I heard about mechanical keyboards for the first time. However, I couldn't find a thread here.

There are a bunch of spring manufacturers that will sell you springs for cheap, like 200 for $10 or less. Does anyone know of a source to get these for a Model M or F or have all the specs for these springs? I'd love to get all new springs for the Model F I'm slowly restoring and/or for the Model M that I might do a bolt mod on.
Unicomp sells flippers with springs.

https://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/PVPLASM

hellothere

09 Jun 2020, 00:09

I heard back from Ellipse. The price on the website is his price and no discount on quantity. He doesn't sell springs only.

I know that Unicomp sells the pivot plate (hey, thanks for reminding me of the real name) for the Model M with springs. They're 20 cents a piece. Clickykeyboards.com is cheaper at 10 cents a piece, but those were pulled from dead Model Ms. Additionally, those are for Model Ms. Model F springs are just a bit longer. I haven't yet checked to see if actuation force, feel, etc. is different.

wobbled

09 Jun 2020, 00:51

I've used M springs in F's, I don't notice any difference at all in feel or sound.

Weezer

09 Jun 2020, 01:18

wobbled wrote:
I've used M springs in F's, I don't notice any difference at all in feel or sound.
I'd second this. I think the springs were the same in both models, especially on early Ms. In my assessment, the difference in actuation force is caused by the size of the flipper i.e. a lighter load on the end of the lever.

Edit: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-101-IBM ... SwnXde3qDp
This is a great deal if you're looking for IBM authentic springs. They're all shiny and new and you get 101 of them for $20 or less.

hellothere

11 Jun 2020, 00:31

OK. I'll give that a shot, next time that ad comes up. Thank you all for your input.

Weezer

11 Jun 2020, 01:24

No prob.

I found another one too. Not as good of a deal, but they look just as nice and appear to have no oxidation on the metal

https://www.ebay.com/itm/78-ct-Flippers ... SwxuRdPgMc

hellothere

11 Jun 2020, 02:18

I'll pass on that one, too. I just got another keyboard in and my keeb budget for the next month or so is now killed :D

fohat
Elder Messenger

11 Jun 2020, 03:52

Weezer wrote:
wobbled wrote:
I don't notice any difference at all in feel or sound.
I think the springs were the same in both models
Um,
Attachments
IBM-M-F-spring-hammer.jpg
IBM-M-F-spring-hammer.jpg (64.32 KiB) Viewed 3262 times

gianni

11 Jun 2020, 12:49

fohat wrote:
Weezer wrote:
wobbled wrote:
Um,
more "spires" (if that's the correct word) mean that the spring is more flexible (because for the same deformation each spire needs to deform less, if their number is higher)

Weezer

11 Jun 2020, 17:51

fohat wrote:
Weezer wrote:
wobbled wrote:
Um,
Welp.

To be fair I have a sample size of one. I swear when I took apart my model m the springs looked the same to me.

hellothere

12 Jun 2020, 01:07

Really, I wasn't going to say anything, but I do have two or three new Model M springs from Unicomp. The Model F springs look like fohat's pic: Model F slightly longer and "more coiled." Unicomp's pivot plates are white, tho.

I bought a couple Model F springs w/flippers from orihalcon on ebay, so we can increase that sample size. Mind you, the Model F I have is the first one I've had, so I also can't compare the feel. I had a new Unicomp Ultra Classic, I currently have an absolute mint early Lexmark M, and I've owned a couple IBM-made M 122s. The F did feel a little better than my Ms even before I did any repair to it. I still have to get a foam mat and punch, and do some rust removal sanding, so it'll be a while before my F is up and running.

Oh. All parts purchased before I ran out of keeb cash :D.

Return to “Keyboards”