OG M0110 + White Alps?

Gnho

13 Jun 2020, 06:41

Hi all-

Is it possible to install White/Blue/Brown/Orange or similar switches to M0110, which has the tall cream switches? Has anyone tried it before?

Thanks!

PlacaFromHell

13 Jun 2020, 07:46

I think (can't confirm) the footprint may not be exactly the same. You can for sure use the same PCB as the pin management is the same. Did you considered swapping the springs instead? I know they are heavy, but they feel quite nice.

Gnho

13 Jun 2020, 20:17

Yeah but I don't really like linear ALPS as much as linear MX. I have some spare ALPS. Will experiment and report back. Thanks!

Gnho

14 Jun 2020, 05:51

Alright, the footprints do match but the plate is too high for non-tall alps switches... I will need a custom plate...

PlacaFromHell

14 Jun 2020, 08:01

Why not just remove the borders? What do you plan to do with the keycaps?

Gnho

14 Jun 2020, 14:28

PlacaFromHell wrote:
What borders do you mean? Yes one way I can make this project work is to make the opening of the top case larger so it fits a regular 60% pcb. Should I just sand it down? Not sure how to work with plastic.

Gnho

14 Jun 2020, 14:35

ntv242 wrote:
14 Jun 2020, 09:05
Gnho wrote:
14 Jun 2020, 05:51
Alright, the footprints do match but the plate is too high for non-tall alps switches... I will need a custom plate...
Could you please share the design of your new plate if possible? Im very interested in this project.
I actually don't know how to design one and have it laser-cut. It's a bit complicated because there are some resistors on both sides of the pcb...

PlacaFromHell

14 Jun 2020, 23:10

Gnho wrote:
14 Jun 2020, 14:28
PlacaFromHell wrote:
What borders do you mean? Yes one way I can make this project work is to make the opening of the top case larger so it fits a regular 60% pcb. Should I just sand it down? Not sure how to work with plastic.
What's exactly the problem? I mean, the plate can't make the switches to touch the PCB or the switches are in contact with the plastic frame?

Gnho

15 Jun 2020, 03:10

As you can see below, the plate is too high for the cap to sit on the switch properly.

PlacaFromHell

15 Jun 2020, 07:31

You can just cut the borders of the plate (where is meant to be mounted originally) and and some nuts and bolts in between, looking for an specific place where your PCB has no traces. Try to avoid buying an entire custom plate, is the most expensive thing in most keyboard builds and prone to errors.

Gnho

15 Jun 2020, 15:44

PlacaFromHell wrote:
You can just cut the borders of the plate (where is meant to be mounted originally) and and some nuts and bolts in between, looking for an specific place where your PCB has no traces. Try to avoid buying an entire custom plate, is the most expensive thing in most keyboard builds and prone to errors.
Thanks! What type of shop may provide this kind of service? I don't think I have any equipment to cut metal.

ddrfraser1

15 Jun 2020, 15:47

Gnho wrote:
PlacaFromHell wrote:
Thanks! What type of shop may provide this kind of service? I don't think I have any equipment to cut metal.
Buy a dremmel. It’s worth the investment.

zrrion

15 Jun 2020, 16:01

Gnho wrote:
If you can find a local shop you may be able to get parts cut for cheaper than online places like laserboost. There is a place local to me that can cut plates at a tenth the price of laserbootst, but they have a minimum order of 75, and you have to drive there to pick your stuff up as they don't ship anything. So if you find a local place like that and are willing to run a mini-gb, you could get a plate for pretty cheap.

PlacaFromHell

16 Jun 2020, 00:44

Gnho wrote:
PlacaFromHell wrote:
No problem :) I don't really know, usually I do this things myself. I'll be waiting to see the results, I have some spare orange Alps and usually an M110A pops up in the local market.

Gnho

16 Jun 2020, 04:21

zrrion wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 16:01
Gnho wrote:
If you can find a local shop you may be able to get parts cut for cheaper than online places like laserboost. There is a place local to me that can cut plates at a tenth the price of laserbootst, but they have a minimum order of 75, and you have to drive there to pick your stuff up as they don't ship anything. So if you find a local place like that and are willing to run a mini-gb, you could get a plate for pretty cheap.

Got it. Thanks! What keywords would you google? Metal cutting?

Gnho

16 Jun 2020, 04:22

PlacaFromHell wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 00:44
Gnho wrote:
PlacaFromHell wrote:
No problem :) I don't really know, usually I do this things myself. I'll be waiting to see the results, I have some spare orange Alps and usually an M110A pops up in the local market.
Definitely will report back as I make progress. Thanks!

zrrion

16 Jun 2020, 05:34

I actually drove past the building and saw their name at one point, I had previously tried to look up local shops and didn't find them that way so I can't really offer any advise in that regard

Return to “Keyboards”