Searching for a certain aesthetic

witchcat_meow

02 Jul 2020, 09:08

Hi everyone! Can anyone help point me in the direction what kind of keyboard is out there (if it even exists) that is ALPS-based (or clone) which has Windows keys which resembles more or less the "cleaness" and the aesthetics of an AEK II with ANSI layout? It doesn't matter it the keys are sculpted or not. I figured I'd ask since I'm figuring out matching components for a future dreamed Win 9x build of mine.

(Bear with me as I'm newish to the 'board scene for which I'm not a keyboard expert with a database of every 'board made...I've used the Wiki has a tool for while and and the closest I've gotten were either Model M look-alikes or ISO layout (which I'm neither after)).

Thanks for any suggestions/help!

Mikelittoris

02 Jul 2020, 12:15

Dell AT101W is imo clean looking and not so expensive. :)

fohat
Elder Messenger

02 Jul 2020, 14:13

I second the Dell suggestion. The AT101W has an over-large footprint but is extremely well-built and sturdy.

Willy4876

02 Jul 2020, 23:39

I'm going to third that AT101W suggestion. If you want windows keys you really limit your options. If you are willing to compromise on the windows keys part of it, or get a later one, you could also go for a focus fk-2001 which, imo, is a really good looking board.

Willy4876

02 Jul 2020, 23:42

You could also take a look at Matias boards, but then you won't have genuine Alps switches.

hellothere

03 Jul 2020, 01:28

Willy4876 wrote:
You could also take a look at Matias boards, but then you won't have genuine Alps switches.
But the Matias clicky is really, really nice.

Backing up slightly, if you do get a Dell, make sure it really is model AT101W. If it's something like "AT101RW," it's a rubber dome.
It doesn't help that they otherwise look identical. Some of the really old Dells have a variety of much more interesting Alps switches. Thes 'boards have the old Dell logo.

The Dell AT101W is starting to get more expensive, in the US, at least. Cheapest one on ebay right now is $49 + $9 shipping. It doesn't look that nice. Alps switches don't do well with dirt, so if the 'board looks beat, the switches are probably beat. There are tutorials on how to restore Alps switches, but that's not just an hour long project.

The other problem with Dell keyboards is that the caps aren't double-shot or dye-sub, so those legends (e.g. abc, 123) are going to wear down. Obviously, you can get new caps. In other words, "How to spend $100 on a $60 keyboard without really trying."

If you just wanna go for broke and get a (modern) blue Alps 'board, here's a Keyboard Paradise V60 (as in 60%) for $80.

Willy4876

03 Jul 2020, 01:36

hellothere wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 01:28
Willy4876 wrote:
But the Matias clicky is really, really nice.

Backing up slightly, if you do get a Dell, make sure it really is model AT101W. If it's something like "AT101RW," it's a rubber dome.
It doesn't help that they otherwise look identical. Some of the really old Dells have a variety of much more interesting Alps switches. Thes 'boards have the old Dell logo.

The Dell AT101W is starting to get more expensive, in the US, at least. Cheapest one on ebay right now is $49 + $9 shipping. It doesn't look that nice. Alps switches don't do well with dirt, so if the 'board looks beat, the switches are probably beat. There are tutorials on how to restore Alps switches, but that's not just an hour long project.

The other problem with Dell keyboards is that the caps aren't double-shot or dye-sub, so those legends (e.g. abc, 123) are going to wear down. Obviously, you can get new caps. In other words, "How to spend $100 on a $60 keyboard without really trying."

If you just wanna go for broke and get a (modern) blue Alps 'board, here's a Keyboard Paradise V60 (as in 60%) for $80.
I agree that matias switches are nice. I just rebuilt an Acer 6011 with a set of them but I wouldn't go as far as to say that they're modern blue Alps though. I think that a better comparison would be click modded black alps or maybe SKBM but I haven't tried those myself.

hellothere

03 Jul 2020, 02:50

Willy4876 wrote:
I just rebuilt an Acer 6011 with a set of them but I wouldn't go as far as to say that they're modern blue Alps though.
Neither would I. That KB Paradise board HAS blue Alps :D.

Willy4876

03 Jul 2020, 04:23

hellothere wrote:
Willy4876 wrote:
I just rebuilt an Acer 6011 with a set of them but I wouldn't go as far as to say that they're modern blue Alps though.
Legit? That sounds awesome.

xxhellfirexx

03 Jul 2020, 04:26

Willy4876 wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 04:23
hellothere wrote:
Willy4876 wrote:
Legit? That sounds awesome.
That KB Paradise board uses DATACOMP Blue switches. They are not real Alps.

https://old.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyb ... blue_alps/

hellothere

13 Jul 2020, 22:17

:cry:

Return to “Keyboards”