BTC dome with slider inconsistent tactility

grodzio

11 Jul 2020, 16:20

I've bought a BTC 5140 recently and it's great so far, however the tactility is a bit inconsistent in some keys, for example, W is less tactile than T. Is this normal and is there a way to fix this?

VelonicV

11 Jul 2020, 22:08

grodzio wrote:
I've bought a BTC 5140 recently and it's great so far, however the tactility is a bit inconsistent in some keys, for example, W is less tactile than T. Is this normal and is there a way to fix this?
I own a fairly well used 5139, and I personally haven't experienced this issue.

I would actually recommend opening it up and giving it a good clean though if you haven't already. Since it uses rubber dome sheets, it's quite easy to just take those out and give them a good rinse, and clean out any general grime and gunk inside, which may solve your tactility problem.

Additionally, my personal recommendation is to lube the sliders, which makes the board feel much more smooth and consistent IMO.

mannoso

12 Jul 2020, 00:08

VelonicV wrote:
grodzio wrote:

I would actually recommend opening it up and giving it a good clean though if you haven't already. Since it uses rubber dome sheets, it's quite easy to just take those out and give them a good rinse, and clean out any general grime and gunk inside, which may solve your tactility problem.

Additionally, my personal recommendation is to lube the sliders, which makes the board feel much more smooth and consistent IMO.
Which lube do you recommend for the sliders? Also, is it safe to wash the rubber dome sheets as long as I give them enough time do dry properly?

VelonicV

12 Jul 2020, 01:50

mannoso wrote:
VelonicV wrote:
grodzio wrote:

Which lube do you recommend for the sliders? Also, is it safe to wash the rubber dome sheets as long as I give them enough time do dry properly?
Personally, I used Tribosys to lube the sliders, and that seemed to work pretty well, but I didn't test out any other lubes.

And yeah, I'd say it's safe to wash them as long as you don't handwash them too hard or use hot water aka do anything that could potentially deform the rubber, and let them completely dry before reassembly.

ddrfraser1

12 Jul 2020, 04:40

mannoso wrote:
VelonicV wrote:
grodzio wrote:

I used Krytox VPF oil. 1415 I think it was. Just bag lubbed em. Used dielectric grease on the sb.

skorpionrazor

12 Jul 2020, 07:48

grodzio wrote:
I can relate. I've bought a BTC 5149 and I came across the same problem.

I've tried cleaning it inside but the problem persists. (picture attached) Didn't try water over the rubber or lube for the sliders yet.

I have another BTC with sliders which I don't remember the model now and it feels better, probably because its newer (it has windows key)
Attachments
IMG_20200703_020106494.jpg
IMG_20200703_020106494.jpg (104.09 KiB) Viewed 1606 times

mannoso

12 Jul 2020, 13:17

ddrfraser1 wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 04:40
mannoso wrote:
VelonicV wrote:

I used Krytox VPF oil. 1415 I think it was. Just bag lubbed em. Used dielectric grease on the sb.

I'm wondering if sewing machine oil would be safe. I used it to mitigate the spring ping in a Cherry-like switch and the plastic housing didn't suffer any damage. I was thinking to apply a tiny bit in the slider housing instead of the slider itself.

Return to “Keyboards”