Ibm Model F Xt Spacebar

latemodel24

16 Jul 2020, 17:24

Ive got a Model f Xt I just rebuilt and replaced the foam and painted the plate. The issue Ive encountered is the spacebar binds some and does not always return. Ive had the plate apart 5 times not trying to fix this with no luck. Is there something Im doing wrong?

mkpl

16 Jul 2020, 23:19

I recently restored a Model F and the spacebar can be a bit tricky. Make sure you hold the hammer in place while reassembling the plates so it stays seated correctly.
Aside from that, the stabilizer can go in one of two ways. Check that the middle of the stabilizer isn't sticking up when it's in place, otherwise it should be flipped around.
Hope this helps!

latemodel24

16 Jul 2020, 23:48

The spacebar works just find and is in place, and the stabilizer stays down. I don't know why its binding. I had it right once, but I forgot to slide the pcb back over and had to take it back apart.

mkpl

17 Jul 2020, 02:07

Strange, I've heard binding on the Model M's spacebar can be fixed with lubricant so that might help, but I'm not sure. Maybe someone else has more experience with this issue, though.

latemodel24

17 Jul 2020, 16:32

I got it fixed. The spacebar had a small peice of itself messed up. I took it off and it works great now.

Return to “Keyboards”