Soarer's Converter and a KVM Switch

Coeus

11 Aug 2020, 20:50

I have been using Soarer's converter with an IBM Model F. My current setup has a two port KVM switch: Startech model SV211KDVIGB. This model has four USB A ports, two of which are designated specifically for a Keyboard/Mouse, and listen for a hot-key sequence to switch PCs, and two that are general USB ports. I have one WIndows 10 PC and one Linux PC attached to this KVM.

When trying out the Model F and Soarer's converter I had the converter connected to one of the general USB ports and a previous keyboard, connected via a commercial PS/2 to USB converter, connected to one of the the keyboard/mouse specific ports - the mouse is attached to the other. The Soarer's converter and Model F keyboard worked fine in this configuration.

Thinking I might now be able to put away the other keyboard I moved the converter with Model F attached to the keyboard port of the KVM switch so I could use the hotkey sequence on the Model F. In this configuration it does not work as well. When switching from the WIndows PC to the Linux one I then sometimes get an issue with missed key events (both up and down) and this can often affect the hotkey sequence to switch back. Unplugging the converter and re-plugging it resets things and it's fine after that.

Has anyone had a similar experience or maybe found a solution? Although the KVM does have a real button for switching it isn't very practical to use - it has cables on both of the long edges including the one with the button on so doesn't work well up on a desk where it is easy to get to.

I did already try the QMK firmware instead of Soarer's, i.e. I just reprogrammed the teensy with this alternative firmware. This however was even worse as I got missed keystrokes even on the general USB port, the one that Soarer's converter works perfectly fine on.

vometia
irritant

12 Aug 2020, 08:14

I had some problems trying to get it to work at all with my Avocent KVM. I just put it down to being beyond the scope of what the Soarer is about, given that my KVM has been known to be varying degrees of glitchy with other devices too, so I never pursued it further, I'm afraid.

Hypersphere

13 Aug 2020, 00:06

@Coeus: I've been using an Iogear 4-port KVM swtich to switch among 3 computers (2 running Linux; one running Windows) sharing a keyboard and mouse. I use only K, M, and audio switching; I don't use video switching. I have a triple-monitor setup with the computers connected in such a way as to permit any one of them to use all 3 monitors, to have one monitor per computer, or any other combination in between. I don't use hotkeys for swirching; I use either the hardware switches on the KVM or software switching using Synergy software. This has been working for me for years with a variety of keyboards using Soarer, QMK, TMK, or Hasu converters. You might wish to consider a different KVM switch.

Coeus

13 Aug 2020, 17:45

@Hypersphere, thanks for the detailed reply. Changing the KVM switch would be a possibility if I had a reasonable expectation it would work correctly but looking at what's out there it looks like many of them are the same, i.e. probably the same circuit board is different plastic enclosures and there are some problems:
  • Some have the cables already permanently attached or use a proprietary connector or extension to an existing connector so that other cables than the ones supplied cannot be substituted. That's not really suitable as I can't see any time soon when everything I want to connect will use the same digital video connector. My current one uses DVI and I have a mini displayport to DVI cable for the laptop. It is neater and probably more reliable to have converter cables, i.e. a different plug at each end, than a extra bit to attach to the end of a cable.
  • Many have cable ports on the same surface as any toggle or selection buttons. If I were to need to put this on the desk because hot key switching doesn't work I'd want all the connections to be to the back of the unit, the side facing away from me.
  • I don't think switching via an application on the PC helps either. The Windows laptop is locked down so I can't just install what I like on it and I have not seen a Linux version of the switcher applications.
It would be temping to order the one you have, assuming it is not discontinued, but you say you don't use the hotkeys which is the bit I want to get to work.

Return to “Keyboards”