Model F Technical Manual Project

darkcruix

17 Mar 2021, 10:09

I have added the tested VIA files (Firmware, Layout, and small PDF that explains things).
They are built for the Brand New Model F (F62 and F77 - all layouts). Everyone who wants to test the easy to use VIA App to assign the key layout - you can download the latest versions from here:
https://www.bucklingspring.com/via-firmware-and-layout/
Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 10.07.43.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 10.07.43.jpg (390.79 KiB) Viewed 5646 times

Bjerrk

17 Mar 2021, 10:26

Very interesting indeed! Thanks! Will give it a go later.

darkcruix

18 Mar 2021, 11:58

I want to give an additional info that was written up by GH user dc_in_sf"
There are some important things to know about VIA and the F77

There are two main ways with stock VIA to get it to ignore a key map stored in EEPROM
1. Use Bootmagic lite to reset the keyboard, VIA enabled firmware will then ignore the currently stored keymap
2. flash the KB with a version of VIA firmware that was compiled on a different day (VIA compares the FW date with a value stored in EEPROM)

The issue with the F77 is that you can't use bootmagic because the keyboard calibration routine that runs on powerup will mean that a held key is not detected when the control gets to the bootmagic routine.

So if you are using VIA on the F77, and the keymap becomes corrupt in some way (and e.g. causes the FW to crash), then your recovery choice is to compile a new version of VIA and flash it in yourself. Flashing in a regular QMK build *will not* clear the EEPROM, when you go back to your VIA FW the same key map will still be there. Non QMK FW may or may not fix it depending on whether it actually changes the EEPROM.

pandrew has a utility that in theory can clear the EEPROM, but it uses the same communication channel as VIA, so to use it will likely have to flash in a non VIA FW to make it work.

It is unknown how much of problem not being able to clear the EEPROM is. I have had no issues with any of my VIA enabled keyboards to date, so possibly this is a non issue, but the VIA folk thought it was important enough to enforce Bootmagic lite in VIA builds.

My take, use it, by just be warned you may have to muck around a bit more to recover a messed up keymap :-)

I have added a eeprom_eraser.hex in the latest version on www.bucklingspring.com which will take care of the issue with by completely filling the flash chip with zeros. It is also described in the doc I have added to the zip.
I am using a unconventional firmware on my system and had issues with some keys being properly recognized, but the eraser beautifully solved the issue. I was still able to hit Fn+Space+R, otherwise I would have needed to short the program jumper on the controller.
So, there is a slight risk with someone having a broken key mapping to require extra legwork to re-flash it.

Tarmac

28 Apr 2021, 03:27

Hi,
I have just received a new Model F62 and thought I'd give this firmware upload a try but a few things are not clear to me - sorry for the newcomer questions.

I downloaded "QMK Toolbox", "VIA" and "Firmware for VIA" from the links on www.modelfkeyboards.com/manual and I also see the layout files from "https://www.bucklingspring.com/via-firmware-and-layout/" for the F62 - the "all keys" one.

1. The PDF readme instructions mention that; If Fn+Space+R works then I already have QMK installed - this indeed worked on my F62. So first question, if this is the case do I still have to Erase the
firmware or can I just go ahead and flash one of the Layout .hex VIA specific firmware files. The action to be taken is not clear to me?

2. In the Layout zip file are some 46 layout files, clearly I should choose one of the F62. However, I have a HHKB - split right shift + spit backspace. There don't appear to be any that match this? Also there appear to be three types; (i) F**, (ii) Via F** and (iii) zF**, I guess Via is for Via but what are the other 2 types for?

3. Lastly, given that I already have firmware on my F62 why do I need to flash anyway? Shouldn't VIA just be able to detect my keyboard so I can make key assignments - again this is not clear? I have
tried it and VIA just reports " searching for devices ..", clearly my mental model of the process is not right ...

Thank you in advance for any insights you can give me ....

darkcruix

09 May 2021, 12:20

Tarmac wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 03:27
Hi,
I have just received a new Model F62 and thought I'd give this firmware upload a try but a few things are not clear to me - sorry for the newcomer questions.

I downloaded "QMK Toolbox", "VIA" and "Firmware for VIA" from the links on www.modelfkeyboards.com/manual and I also see the layout files from "https://www.bucklingspring.com/via-firmware-and-layout/" for the F62 - the "all keys" one.

1. The PDF readme instructions mention that; If Fn+Space+R works then I already have QMK installed - this indeed worked on my F62. So first question, if this is the case do I still have to Erase the
firmware or can I just go ahead and flash one of the Layout .hex VIA specific firmware files. The action to be taken is not clear to me?

2. In the Layout zip file are some 46 layout files, clearly I should choose one of the F62. However, I have a HHKB - split right shift + spit backspace. There don't appear to be any that match this? Also there appear to be three types; (i) F**, (ii) Via F** and (iii) zF**, I guess Via is for Via but what are the other 2 types for?

3. Lastly, given that I already have firmware on my F62 why do I need to flash anyway? Shouldn't VIA just be able to detect my keyboard so I can make key assignments - again this is not clear? I have
tried it and VIA just reports " searching for devices ..", clearly my mental model of the process is not right ...

Thank you in advance for any insights you can give me ....
Sorry for my late response:
1. I would always erase the firmware first. I have seen a strange behavior if it is not done.

2. Ellipse has done this a bit differently than me. If you use my files, you won't need any of those json files. It is prepared already and nothing is required.

3. The firmware pre-flashed on your board most likely doesn't have VIA enabled. That is the reason, why you need to re-flash it once. After that first initial flashing, you can go ahead and assign keys in the future without ever re-flashing.

Hope this helps,

Roland

darkcruix

09 May 2021, 12:25

Trying to get back into "the zone" and continue with the firmware section in the handbook. It is harder than it seems, because Pandrews Model F code of QMK isn't yet fully merged back into the primary code. I also don't want to link to web pages that aren't officially available and probably will change.
Secondly, there will also be a change in how the sub-directories are configured in the future. A half baked variant of the handbook will just be too confusing.
I am definitely continue once things are more in a controlled way.

Additionally, some of my code that I submitted for QMK is under review and hopefully will be integrated soon also (Haptic Feedback exclusion module).

Enjoying the day outside ...
BeautifulDay.jpg
BeautifulDay.jpg (948.08 KiB) Viewed 5390 times

Tarmac

19 May 2021, 16:20

Hi Roland,
Thank you for your tips; that does help.
Many thanks.
James

darkcruix

31 May 2021, 16:31

I have just uploaded a new version (0.5.25) of the Technical Manual for the Model F keyboards.
The underlying LaTeX file has been rebuilt for easier maintenance but it also received several updates. I started to add the international layouts in the Appendix.

https://www.bucklingspring.com/technica ... downloads/

Side note: I also moved the web-page to a faster server and shrunk the Manual PDF (small) to a more reasonable size (13Mbytes).

Hypersphere

31 May 2021, 16:49

@darkcruix: What a great contribution to the mechanical keyboard community! Thank you very much!

darkcruix

06 Jun 2021, 21:08

I wanted to give a quick update on the status of the Technical Manual.
After chatting with Zed (who's ideas and work I value so much), I dissected the LaTeX document and started to do a small rebuild of what we have so far.
I have not only segregated the sections into different files, I also did the same for the figures and photos.
Furthermore, I segregated two variants of the Manual:
  • Digital
  • Print
The Digital version will not have 90º rotated tables or text and the overall size of photos will be reduced. A single photo will never have more than 100Kb. I also started to re-create all line drawings to vector graphics which is the same on both variants.
The Print version will use the original IBM design with rotated pages, tables, or graphics. The size of the photos is normally full size in best quality including color profile.

Within the latex typesetting files I am using a processifversion detection, so it will automatically produce the versions needed. All within the single project.

Code: Select all

% Define which version should be produced Digital or Print
% Options in the typesetting docs are:
% \processifversion{Print}{Hello Print Version!}
% or
% \processifversion{Digital}{Hello Digital Version!}
\excludeversion{Print}
\includeversion{Digital}
ScreenShot.png
ScreenShot.png (329.52 KiB) Viewed 4911 times

OxC0FFEE

09 Jun 2021, 23:52

Outstanding work as always!

darkcruix

24 Jul 2021, 00:21

Quick update:
I have reworked 83 out of 292 pages so far.
The progress is slower than expected due to work demands, but I am pleased with the look so far. Where I still struggle is the description of firmware adjustments. I hope I don't write it with leaving out too much information and therefore making things hard too understand. On the other side, I also want to avoid dragging along a matter that is actually straight forward. The middle - ground is so hard to target ...

I am also working on a side - project for the Brand New Model F. I want to describe the QMK firmware and VIA in a simple way for a beginner. The side-project will be retro-fitted into the main manual as well but not an identical variant of it.

I wish I could get things done faster...

OxC0FFEE

02 Aug 2021, 18:30

That will be a welcome addition! There are some who are new to the hobby, and for whom the Model F will possibly be their first mech. It will be much appreciated for those folks, as well as for things that more experienced MKers may have missed.

darkcruix

02 Aug 2021, 20:20

OxC0FFEE wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 18:30
That will be a welcome addition! There are some who are new to the hobby, and for whom the Model F will possibly be their first mech. It will be much appreciated for those folks, as well as for things that more experienced MKers may have missed.
I hope to be less occupied soon and spend more time on things. Actually I am working on several updates at this very moment...
IMG_1674.jpeg
IMG_1674.jpeg (341.14 KiB) Viewed 4571 times

Zcool31

06 Aug 2021, 21:14

I'm attaching the openscad source for the f77 model I used to make the renders for the technical manual one year ago. Perhaps others can put it to better use than I.
Attachments
modelf.scad.gz
(3.05 KiB) Downloaded 101 times

darkcruix

09 Aug 2021, 22:41

Zcool31 wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 21:14
I'm attaching the openscad source for the f77 model I used to make the renders for the technical manual one year ago. Perhaps others can put it to better use than I.
Thanks a mil !!!!

darkcruix

09 Aug 2021, 22:50

Today I released probably the largest update of the Model F Technical Manual, yet.
https://www.bucklingspring.com
I have re-written it so it has a print and digital (viewing) version. Both versions are not only different in size but also in its appearance. For example, the digital version has no 90 degree rotated tables or drawings, as you can easily zoom in to your needs, I also optimized every photo for sRGB instead of printing colors. Tables have been re-created for each variant; drawings went through the same exercise.
Finally, I have re-drawn nearly all illustrations that previously used PNG or JPG files. These are now SVG, EPS, or PDF line art graphics.

https://www.bucklingspring.com/download ... reference/
https://www.bucklingspring.com/download ... draft-0-6/
thumbnail.png
thumbnail.png (69.9 KiB) Viewed 4440 times

j-pevar

11 Nov 2022, 10:54

I'd love to be able to check out the website (bucklingspring.com) and the manual, but I get an error anytime I try. Has anyone else here run into this issue and if so, what's the work-around.

Thanks!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 1.52.18 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 1.52.18 AM.png (1.1 MiB) Viewed 2942 times

darkcruix

11 Nov 2022, 19:03

j-pevar wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 10:54
I'd love to be able to check out the website (bucklingspring.com) and the manual, but I get an error anytime I try. Has anyone else here run into this issue and if so, what's the work-around.

Thanks!
I am in the process to move the site to a different cloud space. Unfortunately, I had to stop in the middle for a week or so. I have uploaded the actual version to this temporary link for now: http://195.90.200.37/ModelFManual.pdf

Muirium
µ

11 Nov 2022, 20:19

Throw it on the DT wiki for posterity when you’re done. It’ll stay up as long as we do, that way. Seeing as it’s your work, it’s your call.

j-pevar

14 Nov 2022, 17:35

Thanks! I'm actually able to access this link. Can't wait to read thru the whole PDF.

darkcruix

15 Nov 2022, 15:41

Muirium wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 20:19
Throw it on the DT wiki for posterity when you’re done. It’ll stay up as long as we do, that way. Seeing as it’s your work, it’s your call.
I totally will - it is released under OpenSource anyway. I am also going to release a github-link of the full LaTeX document in the end. I wish I could move forward faster, but as everybody knows ... life has the tendency to distract you at times.

snoopy

15 Nov 2022, 16:59

just discovered this. Unbelievable how much work you've put into this :o

Great job!

herald

24 Nov 2022, 01:59

This manual is amazing. It exceeded every expectation I had for it. So much information I wish was readily available when I received my new Model F. Now mass print it and include it with every new Model F!

Return to “Keyboards”