IBM 3278 Beam Springs?

cKype

04 Sep 2020, 21:47

Hi,
I found yesterday a keyboard which reminded me of something I have seen before so I went and bought it.
Cleaned it today (mostly just switches and outside) didn't wanna go too far.

But the question is... ..is this IBM 3278 with Beam Springs? I know there are more experienced ppl in here than me. So I hope someone can help.

If it happens to be what I think it is, does it have any value worth selling, or should I just USB mod it and use it (if USB mod is possible with this unit)

Here are images:
https://imgur.com/a/zKVfEh8

Thank You!

-Henri

dcopellino

04 Sep 2020, 22:20

So you found it nearly by chance.... What a lucky boy.... These toys are pretty expensive and coveted. Yes it's an IBM v3278 beamspring that you can easily convert to usb using a xwhatsit, playing a bit with it and then decide to yeld it up to me. :roll:

p.s. how much did you pay it, if I may ask...

hellothere

05 Sep 2020, 00:20

No, it's a Dell 108. I'll give you a full $10 for it.

cKype

05 Sep 2020, 00:34

Found it from "second hand store" or more like recycling center. I liked the switches and started to wonder could it have any value (yes my experience is only limited to Chyrosran22 from youtube. And I knew these things have some value, if not atleast its pretty and good condition. And since the price was low I had no risk, so I took it home. And yes, the price was 30€

I put it for sale after talking with couple of helpfull and more experienced people from the forum. One of them was interested on buying it but i'm waiting to see more offers so I can see what kind of average prices we are looking at here.

I wonder where has it been kept since it has 0 rust on springs or bottom metal plate. I like the switches but I know there are more people in here who could actually appreciate what it is. For me its just a keyboard with awesome sounding and feeling switches :)

Return to “Keyboards”