Advice on 2 keys not working on my M

GivenZane

08 Sep 2020, 06:31

Hi everyone,
Long story short. My kitten splashed my Gin and Tonic into my Model M and now the B and N keys don't work. I have let it dry out for about 4 days now, and they still aren't working. I have reseated the keycaps without luck. I would really like to get it going again; It was my first M after all. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!
Cheers,
--Given

Edit: It was maybe 1oz of Gin and Tonic...

GivenZane

08 Sep 2020, 06:37

Run down of what I've done so far:
As soon as it happened I unplugged the keyboard and shook out what I could.
I then stored it upside down for 4 days before trying it again.
I've reset the keycaps on the two switches.
I tried another SDL cable without luck.

Weezer

08 Sep 2020, 07:05

Are the flippers moving freely?

GivenZane

08 Sep 2020, 07:40

Weezer wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 07:05
Are the flippers moving freely?
Yep, they are.
Thanks,
--Given

Weezer

08 Sep 2020, 08:44

You could try pressing down the flippers carefully with a bent paperclip while the keycaps are off to directly test to see if the membrane is working properly...but if nothing happens still It's possible you may have to open up the keyboard and clean it. Or it might still have some residual liquid trapped within the assembly and it could start working again after a while.

frogmaster

08 Sep 2020, 09:27

B and N are just at the end of a row on the membrane matrix, so it's quite possible that the trace has corroded there. You can't know without opening it up though, so follow Wheezers advice, but if the membrane isn't working and couple of days in some dry warm place doesn't help... Then I'm afraid, it's bolt mod time. If the trace is broken, you can fix it with 1000 grit sand paper and a little bit of conductive silver adhesive (available in automotive stores).

Return to “Keyboards”