First mechanical keyboard questions

aswarola8

18 Sep 2020, 13:47

[deleted spam]
Last edited by aswarola8 on 19 Sep 2020, 12:55, edited 1 time in total.

coolrainbow20

18 Sep 2020, 16:02

aswarola8 wrote:
Hi! I'm receiving my new Redragon K556-RK Devarajas this Friday and the only point I'm not sure about is the switches: this would be my first mech keyboard and I really wanted the blue clicky ones from what I've read but this one comes with brown switches. Am I going to miss out on a huge difference between brown and blue? Is the difference just about the noise?
The Sound is indeed the biggest difference, but I can't really explain that much, because it is very difficult to explain. I suggest you to get a switch tester, so you can try out different switches.
aswarola8 wrote:
This keyboard supposedly has replaceable switches, which you can just pull out and switch with different ones. Would I be forced to buy Outemu switches as replacement, or would it be possible to use cherry switches or something else? I'm a newbie about mech keyboards so I've no clue. Also where should I buy switches? I'm in Europe.
I don't think you are limited to outemu switches, but I can't be certain, because I don't own this keyboard, but I own a Keyboard that has hot-swap switches, and they do look exactly like outemu switches on the bottom, so it's likely that it will work.
I actually even own a board with outemu browns but I don't like them. The build quality is really meh, and they do rattle alot, because the return springs inside the switches are a bit loose. I personally use Kailh Bronze Switches, because I like them, but you don't have to like them too. If you can swap between different switch manufacturers, here is my recommendation: If you like cheap switches, go with outemu or better with gateron. But if you like even better switches go with cherry or kailh.
P.S. I'm in Europe too.
aswarola8 wrote:
Lastly has anyone had issues with this keyboard in the long term? Some of the reviews pointed out hiccups after a few months of usage on other, lower end keyboards by Redragon, which is also why I wanted replaceable switches just in case I'd have to replace a faulty key or two in the future.
As I've said I don't personally own that keyboard, so I can't say anything to that.

hellothere

18 Sep 2020, 18:19

Specs.
"Swappable switches mean easy repair and customizability with any compatible 3-pin key switch."

Kailh Box switches, for instance, are out (2-pin), however I haven't played with Outemu switches, so it's possible that the third pin is just for support. I have a bazillion loose 2-pin Cherry-mount switches. If you want one, PM me and I'll send you out a switch. (US only.)

Findecanor

18 Sep 2020, 18:28

When people say "3-pin" they usually refer to the third as being central shaft.
I wouldn't call it a pin either as it does not provide any support, but yeah ...

coolrainbow20

18 Sep 2020, 23:58

ntv242 wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 21:10
Well i guess not many have exp with outemu "hotswap" sockets here. Understandable, they are only avail on certain gamerish keyboard and entry level boards.

The outemu so call hot swap is very different and the sole purpose is to replace the switch with other outemu switch in case of failing. This is very different than your more regular kailh/gateron hot swap socket.

How do they differ exactly?
I can't tell any difference between the outemu hot swap and mine on an Ergodox EZ.
(Link to an image of my hot swap socket: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing)

JBert

19 Sep 2020, 13:24

You guys have been fooled by a spambot. It looks like this is a post [also occurred on Geekhack](https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=107230.0). The spammer in this topic has now edited the post to reveal a link.

coolrainbow20

19 Sep 2020, 22:03

JBert wrote:
19 Sep 2020, 13:24
You guys have been fooled by a spambot. It looks like this is a post [also occurred on Geekhack](https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=107230.0). The spammer in this topic has now edited the post to reveal a link.
Was this really spam?
And I thought I helped someone out. :x
What was that link about?

Iwaju

20 Sep 2020, 01:38

that's a bummer >:(

zzxx53

20 Sep 2020, 16:15

Damn spambots
Seems to be everywhere these days

Return to “Keyboards”