How to make extra keys on Wang 724 work as intended

VincentStrand

20 Sep 2020, 02:31

I have an old Wang model 724 which has some keys that do not register properly such as the f keys past 12 which register as alt+other f keys and the right arrow keys on the numpad and the other right arrow key do not work at all. I was wondering if there is some software or driver I can use to get the full functionality of the keyboard back with. If possible I would like to be able to use the function keys with a modifier pressed to get up to the full 32 for use as hotkeys. This is my first post on this site so I apologize if this is not the place to ask this.

zzxx53

20 Sep 2020, 16:17

Depending on what converter you are using
Both tmk and soarer have ways to define macros, which is exactly what you need

VincentStrand

20 Sep 2020, 20:28

Currently I am using an AT to ps/2 adapter and a usb to ps/2 adapter together. I have not heard of the tmk or soarer converters before, do they allow you to completely remap the keys or do they only allow defining macros for keys?

zzxx53

21 Sep 2020, 02:15

Both allow you to completely remap keys in addition to macros, as long as you figure out what scan codes those keys are sending.
You can either buy one here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/143708958338
Or make your own. Some soldering required.

zzxx53

21 Sep 2020, 03:34

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19035
Quick guide for making your own

VincentStrand

21 Sep 2020, 04:56

Thank you very much for your help this is the 3rd forum I tried and the only one to actually answer my question.

Return to “Keyboards”