[Solved] SSK Firing \| when I press Left Shift

ReconFirefly

21 Sep 2020, 07:13

Just got an SSK, had the membrane swapped for a NOS one, and had it screw modded. It fires the |\ key occasionally when I hit left shift (enough for me to notice, but not enough to render the keyboard a junker). Wondering if anyone here has any ideas about what to do to fix it?

Also, I've tried on a PS/2 - USB converter, and on native PS/2, and it happens on both, so I'm assuming its something inside the board.
Last edited by ReconFirefly on 15 Aug 2023, 12:33, edited 1 time in total.

kmnov2017

21 Sep 2020, 10:34

Is your SSK ISO or ANSI? If ANSI, Is your software setting set to an ISO Layout? If yes, change settings back to ANSI...
Reply back if this still doesn't fix the problem....

depletedvespene

21 Sep 2020, 12:52

I don't think it's a matter of the software setting. Test this out on Switch Hitter and see if the scan code for the ISO alpha key (0xE2) shows up. It smells like be a simple matter of a screw that's screwed in tighter than appropriate.

frogmaster

21 Sep 2020, 14:46

I had a unicomp board, where i had a similar but much worse issue, where left arrow would fire when pressing rctrl. It was not immediately apparent, but there was a very slight bend in the backplate, the issue went away, when I massaged it a bit.

Inxie

21 Sep 2020, 15:18

So there's two pads actually under an ANSI shift. See my Unicomp for example, it's an American ISO model but with an ANSI left shift (it came this way). The left hole registers LSHIFT, but the right hole that doesn't have a flapper, actually when pressed with a q-trip, presses \| as well. So since your issue is with this, make sure there isn't a crinkle in the membrane, or you put the flipper on the wrong side possibly.

Also, contrary to what was said, the keyboard layout setting won't change this behavior. LShift is always LShift, it's just that \| is the adjacent pad on the membrane for ISO layouts, but as mentioned, ANSI keyboards do have them as well, and even on an American layout, will STILL generate such a scancode.

Jacobalbertus1

22 Sep 2020, 14:23

open it up and see about loosening a screw right around the 2 problem keys likely the closest one I have done plenty of these and its usually that

Iwaju

22 Sep 2020, 21:34

welp, I'm lucky that I have only 1 ISO keyboard. JIS, ANSI, square, and big-ass are far superior than the ISO enter

ReconFirefly

15 Aug 2023, 12:32

https://xkcd.com/979/

I always am happy when I can necro my own threads with a solution for that one guy out there that is having the same issue :)

The problem was that the keycap I was using (https://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/PRGB) had some flashing at the bottom of the support barrel - see picture below.

https://i.imgur.com/mVfNb21.png

This was hitting the |\ key. I feel so silly for not checking this. After cleaning up that crud on the bottom of the stabilizer pole I cannot get LShift to fire |\, so I'm considering this a huge win.

Muirium
µ

15 Aug 2023, 13:05

Ah, good old Unicomp-quality engineering. Is any edge on this masterpiece of carelessness remotely acceptable? :roll:

Other compatible key caps are fortunately also available.

Return to “Keyboards”