Removing BS Plastic Inserts from Barrel

darkcruix

21 Sep 2020, 12:37

I have been trying a few methods (Q-tip, tweezers, etc) and I never got the plastic insert out of the barrel, without either damaging it or completely ruin it.
Any guidance would be wonderful !
PlasticStabilizer05.jpeg
PlasticStabilizer05.jpeg (483.97 KiB) Viewed 1463 times

Jesseg

21 Sep 2020, 12:40

I would suggest some sort of barbed tool that'll open wider once you push it down

fohat
Elder Messenger

21 Sep 2020, 15:07

Straighten out a paper clip and bend a tiny "J" in the end. Reach in and grab the lip at the bottom, pulling straight up.

You do not want to scratch or damage the inside of the column.

darkcruix

21 Sep 2020, 16:54

fohat wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 15:07
Straighten out a paper clip and bend a tiny "J" in the end. Reach in and grab the lip at the bottom, pulling straight up.

You do not want to scratch or damage the inside of the column.
That is what I tried also - didn't work as it sits too tight. The only method for me is to use silicone grease before adding the plastic insert, then I can remove it.

kmnov2017

21 Sep 2020, 16:57

Tweezers worked for me, most of these are extremely stubborn to remove....
Given how snug these fit, there is no way qtips will work....

clickykeyboards

21 Sep 2020, 17:51

Typically, the plastic barrel inserts should be removed when the model M keyboard is exceptionally dirty (from sticky soda residue or fine dust environments). We have had to do a few re-work and recovery jobs of previously botched model M repairs where the previous owner scratched or deformed the plastic inserts or plastic barrels by using metal tools. Damage to the geometry of the plastic stabilizers or interior dirt typically causes the wide or tall keys to stick when actuated.

I find the best way to remove the plastic stabilizer inserts is to pop them out from the inside and pushing them out in preparation when drilling and doing a screw-mod. Take care not to get dust or debris or liquids on the inside service of the plastic inserts. To replace them is as simple as push-fitting them back into position.
IMG_8187.jpg
IMG_8187.jpg (3.28 MiB) Viewed 1398 times
IMG_8188.JPG
IMG_8188.JPG (3.04 MiB) Viewed 1398 times
Also.. the 5 wide keys (2 shift keys, enter key, backspace key and numpad 0 key) use "white" plastic stabilizer inserts

The 2 tall keys (numpad + and numpad enter keys) use a different type of plastic insert. Usually, a different color than white, such as blue, gray, or black plastic
IMG_8190.JPG
IMG_8190.JPG (3.98 MiB) Viewed 1398 times

darkcruix

21 Sep 2020, 17:57

Thanks for all the guidance - I am normally using the method of taking apart the assembly. I just wanted to hear from the experts here, if I am just doing it wrong.
If there are other ideas, I am all ears. It is not very common to change the inserts frequently anyway.

Return to “Keyboards”