Need a beamspring keycap (8)

bdgrthing

29 Oct 2020, 21:27

Hello!

I am restoring an IBM 6580 DisplayWriter.
I have done the main unit and the monitor. I just need to do the floppy drives and keyboard now.
The keyboard is one of the challenges. I almost have everything I need, and am halfway through the restore process.
One thing I am missing is the ‘8’ keycap from the number row. Does anyone have one from a parts board perhaps?

Pics of restore here: https://twitter.com/MonotechPCs/status/ ... 46849?s=20

inmbolmie

29 Oct 2020, 22:55

Almost... Orihalcon has a "7" for sale just now in his Ebay store. Maybe a repeated "7" would be better that an empty space, until you can fin a proper "8"

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/CHOOSE-Single-K ... 3807911162

Weezer

29 Oct 2020, 23:22

Or try a gray 8 from a selectric

Jesseg

29 Oct 2020, 23:37

bdgrthing wrote:
29 Oct 2020, 21:27
Hello!

I am restoring an IBM 6580 DisplayWriter.
I have done the main unit and the monitor. I just need to do the floppy drives and keyboard now.
The keyboard is one of the challenges. I almost have everything I need, and am halfway through the restore process.
One thing I am missing is the ‘8’ keycap from the number row. Does anyone have one from a parts board perhaps?

Pics of restore here: https://twitter.com/MonotechPCs/status/ ... 46849?s=20
So you got the one on TradeMe... ;) you got a damn good deal for that!

bdgrthing

29 Oct 2020, 23:50

Jesseg wrote:
29 Oct 2020, 23:37
So you got the one on TradeMe... ;) you got a damn good deal for that!
Yup! I didn't even realize the keyboard was worth a lot more than the rest of the system. Was quite a surprise.
The computer needed some work (typical bad capacitors, lots of dust, some corrosion, some broken plugs). See that twitter for lots of pics.

The keyboard seems to be in the state most of these keyboards are when people find them. Needs a lot of work. I have the foam and punch on the way, have cleaned the case and keycaps, and will work on cleaning the metal plate today, and maybe take apart the switches so I can refresh the springs and clean the housings.
After working on the computer and monitor, and now the keyboard, I have just about had enough of that rotting IBM foam :lol:
And I still have a mint-in-box Model F to re-foam too.

I have found a spare keyswitch locally, so I don't have to buy the eBay one to replace the one with the broken beam spring.

But this will be a nice museum piece when done. Certainly not going to separate the keyboard from the computer, unless someone makes a converter that lets me use a modern keyboard with the DisplayWriter.

Still undecided on whether the computer will remain in my collection, or be sold after restoring - I don't have a lot of space. It is quite interesting however, being one of the few pre-PC 8086 computers. And the build quality is lovely.

In my opinion, the price to pay for using a DisplayWriter keyboard with a modern PC, isn't worth the amazing switch feel. It's too chonky, with a non-useful layout. Maybe people who are good at adapting to odd keyboards could make it work.
Interested to see how the new MX-size beamspring switches will be like... If they feel as good as these IBM ones, that may be enough for me to ditch my MX Browns.

Jesseg

29 Oct 2020, 23:54

I am delighted to hear that is not being separated from the system! I love those keyboards but the entire system together is just something else... I am in Australia and was nearly going to get it but the shipping was pretty s***.
Definitely keep a thread here of the resto process as I'm sure others would love to see it too! :D :D

bdgrthing

02 Nov 2020, 08:54

Good news is that a forum member has the missing keycap!

Bad news is that I need 17 replacement plunger+beamsprings or switches.

These switches have fractures at the plastic rivet. I didn't notice until I had taken some apart already and they fell off.

This is going to be an expensive or futile repair! Unless someone has some sneaky glue tricks for me.

cakeanalytics

02 Nov 2020, 13:02

bdgrthing wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 08:54
Good news is that a forum member has the missing keycap!

Bad news is that I need 17 replacement plunger+beamsprings or switches.

These switches have fractures at the plastic rivet. I didn't notice until I had taken some apart already and they fell off.
Someone reported fixing those with glue in another post
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24690

bdgrthing

02 Nov 2020, 23:11

cakeanalytics wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 13:02
Someone reported fixing those with glue in another post
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24690
Pray for me :shock:
20201103_111009.jpg
20201103_111009.jpg (172.87 KiB) Viewed 2663 times

cakeanalytics

03 Nov 2020, 00:14

Fingers crossed 🤞
If that fails, you can always try to make your own metal strip (doesn't look easy either)
viewtopic.php?p=456888#p456888

Return to “Keyboards”