Adding Kingsington lock to F122

Tbernstein2368

31 Oct 2020, 18:42

Are use my keyboard at work and I am concerned about theft. Ironically I work at a law enforcement agency LOL.

I know Kingsington makes locks but they require a small notch in the metal but there's no way you can attach the lock and still use the keyboard at the same time.

What have other forum users done to secure they are high value keyboards to prevent or deter theft?

xxhellfirexx

31 Oct 2020, 19:59

I think you are going about it the wrong way. Even if they do not steal the keyboard, they can easily destroy it by "accidentally" spilling half a cup of coffee onto it.

I would say the best way is to treat your coworkers well and not give them any reason to cause you harm or grief. If trust and theft is really a concern, use a $50 keyboard instead.

cakeanalytics

03 Nov 2020, 00:29

If you're really that paranoid, maybe try a gun safe?
Many them are compatible with security cables. One designed for AR-15 will probably also be big enough for the F122.

PlacaFromHell

03 Nov 2020, 01:26

Someone in this forum already found a model F 122 with a cable lock, hopefully this will help you:

viewtopic.php?t=21861

hellothere

03 Nov 2020, 02:43

How about a strong box and have a security cable attached to that?

However, I'm probably not the only person that watches videos from the LockPickingLawyer. If someone wants it bad enough, they'll get it.

When I worked in on location, I generally just put my keyboard in my locking file cabinet at night. Yah, easy enough to get into, but I didn't have anything else of value or interest at my desk, so a thief would probably skip me.

Tbernstein2368

03 Nov 2020, 03:39

PlacaFromHell wrote:
03 Nov 2020, 01:26
Someone in this forum already found a model F 122 with a cable lock, hopefully this will help you:

viewtopic.php?t=21861
Thanks. Although I wouldn't go as far as sticking that plate on the keyboard the post itself was very much an enjoyable read. Thanks again

mode1ace

03 Nov 2020, 08:42

Kensington locks won't discourage a determined thief, if anything it'll make people wonder how much your keyboard is worth and the moment a malicious person has looked up an F122 on ebay, you've put yourself at more risk.

Kensington locks are only really useful for opportunist thieves, to stop people casually walking into an office and picking up a laptop. You can take them out with a snip very easily.

Back when working in an office was a thing for us, my wife kept an F122 on her desk at work, no problem for years. Occasionally a keyboard enthusiast would compliment her on it, but otherwise nobody paid it any attention.

Return to “Keyboards”