Handwired AEKII


12 Nov 2020, 02:31

A long time ago I made what was then my favorite keyboard prior to moving to the Dactyl. I handwired an AEKII. Because the keyboard relies on the PCB to keep the switches in place It leaves a little to be desired build wise. Originally I modified TMK's GH60 keyboard files to get this to work. I recently dug out my old standby and figured I'd update it to work with QMK. For those that might be interested I've attached the images for the layout and how I've hand wired the keyboard. I've also attached my kanged GH60 keyboard folder as a zip. I used a Teensy++ 2.0.
(289.15 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
topsidewiring.png (91.95 KiB) Viewed 313 times
keyboard-layout.png (66.77 KiB) Viewed 313 times
backsidewiring.png (90.21 KiB) Viewed 313 times

User avatar

12 Nov 2020, 08:04

Am I correct in assuming that the purpose of rewiring it was to get it to work on USB natively? Other than that, or maybe to add NKRO I don't really see a purpose.


12 Nov 2020, 10:01

Another reason for doing it would be to make the two Command keys act as separate keys. They are otherwise wired to the same input pins on ADB keyboards.


12 Nov 2020, 16:10

Both are correct. I also used the power key as a momentary toggle to a layer that contains the mouse functions, media functions, and bootloader function. Lately I've been contemplating drilling out the pcb switch holes and rewiring or using it as a template to make a backer out of polycarbonate or wood to restore the lost structural integrity for the switches.

User avatar

12 Nov 2020, 16:59

Another way that you could use the PCB but still have it hand wired would be to take an xacto knife/razor blade and physically cut the traces that go to and from the switch pins. This way the switches are still isolated, you don't have to go to all the effort of making a whole new backing plate or drilling out the PCB, and the switches will be just as solid as they were originally, since they can still be soldered in.


15 Nov 2020, 06:46

That would work also but I think drilling would be easier. there should be enough of an air gap and I think a drill press would make quick work of getting all the switch holes drilled out.

Post Reply

Return to “Keyboards”