Problems with an Alps spacebar

Jimi14

29 Nov 2020, 14:34

(Realized i might have posted this in the wrong section, hopefully its not to big of an issue)

The board in question is one of the original Dell AT102's with salmon alps (first picture is from prior to me cleaning it). Most of the board works great, but there is something wrong with the spacebar.
DSC_0068.JPG
DSC_0068.JPG (500.81 KiB) Viewed 1294 times
DSC_0120.JPG
DSC_0120.JPG (395.31 KiB) Viewed 1294 times
As you can see from my somewhat crappy pictures, the left side of the bar is fine, but the right side keeps getting stuck. I've been fiddling with the stabilizer (which does look kind of bent, but not sure if that has anything to do with it), but not knowing enough about these things i'm Kinda at a loss on how to fix it.
DSC_0121.JPG
DSC_0121.JPG (451.07 KiB) Viewed 1294 times
DSC_0122.JPG
DSC_0122.JPG (480.75 KiB) Viewed 1294 times

fohat
Elder Messenger

29 Nov 2020, 14:56

It is common for space bars to ride somewhat out of level, and nothing to worry about if it operates properly.

Do make sure that the inserts that hold the wire are seated properly, and you can straighten the wire if it is bent.

Jimi14

29 Nov 2020, 15:02

fohat wrote:
29 Nov 2020, 14:56
It is common for space bars to ride somewhat out of level, and nothing to worry about if it operates properly.

Do make sure that the inserts that hold the wire are seated properly, and you can straighten the wire if it is bent.
It does not though, you cant press the right side of it because it's "always" engaged. If you lift it manually it will stay up, but only until you press it down again. In short it's not reengaging.

fohat
Elder Messenger

29 Nov 2020, 15:13

One of the stabilizer tabs is inserted in its hole in the underside of the space bar and the other one is not.

I think that the wire is OK, but are you seating it in the tiny pair of slots at the bottom? You need to install the space bar loosely first, and then use a very small flat-head screwdriver to snap it down into that pair of black plastic inserts with the very thin slots in them.

Jimi14

29 Nov 2020, 15:42

Ok guys, got it to work. Don't know what i did different this time when reinstalling the spacebar, but it now it resets itself properly. My guess would be that i hadn't managed to fit the right part of the stabilizer properly into it's slot.

Jimi14

29 Nov 2020, 18:51

Update: The problem returned after a while, but now i found the cause. Those bits of rubber (presumably meant to protect the tabs) had started to dissolve and was all sticky. I simply peeled them away and now the space bar seems to be working like it should.

Return to “Keyboards”