Best sounding keyboard switch?

Kneeboard

05 Dec 2020, 07:52

Out of curiosity I want to see what you think the best sounding keyboard is. I've heard a lot of talk about Blue alps, Holy pandas, IBM beamspring keyboards (I love that sound though) but are their any ones even better than that.

Weezer

05 Dec 2020, 08:04

I like the sound of those old univac keyboards

TNT

05 Dec 2020, 08:50

I like the clicky Fujitsu Leaf Springs, but it has a lot to do with the thickness of the keycaps and the chassis, and so on. Capacitive buckling spring (maybe with floss mod) also sound so nice to me, the thock of the Model F's spacebar is something else :)

Kneeboard

05 Dec 2020, 09:08

TNT wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 08:50
I like the clicky Fujitsu Leaf Springs, but it has a lot to do with the thickness of the keycaps and the chassis, and so on. Capacitive buckling spring (maybe with floss mod) also sound so nice to me, the thock of the Model F's spacebar is something else :)
I love the linear Leaf springs as well. The TI99 also has one of my favourite sounds for typing. Also the Model F with floss mod sounds so fantastic I swear!

Kneeboard

05 Dec 2020, 09:16

Weezer wrote:
A hybrid between click and thock.

TNT

05 Dec 2020, 09:30

This may be personal bias, but I love the sound (and feel) of old IBM Thinkpad's keyboards. I don't know what type/brand of scissor-switch it is, but combined with the taller keycaps of the older Thinkpads and the direct transmission to your desk, they can sound quite satisfying

Kneeboard

05 Dec 2020, 09:40

TNT wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 09:30
This may be personal bias, but I love the sound (and feel) of old IBM Thinkpad's keyboards. I don't know what type/brand of scissor-switch it is, but combined with the taller keycaps of the older Thinkpads and the direct transmission to your desk, they can sound quite satisfying
I've actually heard a lot of people talk about the ThinkPad's keyboard. While I've never had one I've always loved the opening and closing thing with the keyboard and the sound it makes is admittedly amazing. Its insanely good considering the fact that its a laptop keyboard as well :lol:

hellothere

05 Dec 2020, 17:06

First, I'd just list all the switches in the keyboards I own that feel great, so that won't necessarily get you anywhere: Alps pine white, salmon, and orange. Buckling springs on the Model M.

Ones that I've heard and are in keyboards I'd like to possess are clicky Fujitsu Leaf Springs and Alps Plate Switch. *Pok* *Pok* *Pok* *Pok* *Pok* I think the FLS might sound a little better than the Alps. However, if I ever get a keyboard with those switches and it doesn't feel good, I'll associate the sound with badness.

The Kailh Thick Click Box Navy switches sound really nice, especially if used for the spacebar, if you want to go for something more modern.

Chyros' video for the 7 best sounding switches is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW3tUA84nZ0.

==========

Kinda turning the topic around, my vote for best no-sounding linear switches are Fujitsu Leaf Switches.

Kneeboard

15 Dec 2020, 01:00

hellothere wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 17:06
First, I'd just list all the switches in the keyboards I own that feel great, so that won't necessarily get you anywhere: Alps pine white, salmon, and orange. Buckling springs on the Model M.

Ones that I've heard and are in keyboards I'd like to possess are clicky Fujitsu Leaf Springs and Alps Plate Switch. *Pok* *Pok* *Pok* *Pok* *Pok* I think the FLS might sound a little better than the Alps. However, if I ever get a keyboard with those switches and it doesn't feel good, I'll associate the sound with badness.

The Kailh Thick Click Box Navy switches sound really nice, especially if used for the spacebar, if you want to go for something more modern.

Chyros' video for the 7 best sounding switches is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW3tUA84nZ0.

==========

Kinda turning the topic around, my vote for best no-sounding linear switches are Fujitsu Leaf Switches.
Fujitsu Leaf Springs sound insane in most versions. The clicky ones are my favourite tho. Also the TI99/4A keyboard also sounds very nice

ppCircle

15 Dec 2020, 01:59

Kneeboard wrote:
Out of curiosity I want to see what you think the best sounding keyboard is. I've heard a lot of talk about Blue alps, Holy pandas, IBM beamspring keyboards (I love that sound though) but are their any ones even better than that.
"Keyboard"? Well then. Chicony Kb-5161a with blue alps switches.

John Doe

15 Dec 2020, 04:06

Also, vote to the FLS 3rd clicky switches, really fascinating.

Polecat

15 Dec 2020, 04:41

Futaba MA, but what do I know, I haven;t heard some of the others.

Kneeboard

15 Dec 2020, 20:07

Polecat wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 04:41
Futaba MA, but what do I know, I haven;t heard some of the others.
I think this comment from one of chyrosran22's videos best describes it
"Hmm... "clicky" just doesn't seem to be quite the right word for these switches in this board... maybe... clonky"

Kneeboard

15 Dec 2020, 20:15

Weezer wrote:
Kinda sounds like a Typewriter turning into a Keyboard

Kneeboard

ppCircle wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 01:59
Kneeboard wrote:
"Keyboard"? Well then. Chicony Kb-5161a with blue alps switches.
Blue alps do sound spectacular.

Weezer

15 Dec 2020, 22:51

Kneeboard wrote:
Weezer wrote:
Yeah I like keys with a fat sound. Beam spring and alps also sound nice but they were already mentioned so I didn't want to be redundant.

headphone_jack

15 Dec 2020, 23:00

I really liked the sound of my ITW magnetic valve low profile switches, they had a really nice thoccy sound to them.

Kneeboard

16 Dec 2020, 00:48

headphone_jack wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 23:00
I really liked the sound of my ITW magnetic valve low profile switches, they had a really nice thoccy sound to them.
That's the deepest thocc I've ever heard. Where was this all my life?

Kneeboard

16 Dec 2020, 00:52

Weezer wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 22:51
Kneeboard wrote:
Weezer wrote:
Yeah I like keys with a fat sound. Beam spring and alps also sound nice but they were already mentioned so I didn't want to be redundant.
Beam springs and most alps switches are the first things that come to most people when someone mentions a switch that sounds nice. Imo the best sounding keyboard are usually loud and thocky and most of the time have a sort of typewriter sound to them.

hellothere

16 Dec 2020, 02:45

Kneeboard wrote:
16 Dec 2020, 00:52
Imo the best sounding keyboard are usually loud and thocky and most of the time have a sort of typewriter sound to them.
I'm old enough to have used typewriters. Like, often. Get off my lawn, you whippersnappers!

Anyway, I do think you have a point with the typewriter idea, but I don't associate the sound with typewriters as much as, "Mmmm. Job complete." That's also probably why I decided I really don't like linear switches, although, if you do have linear keyboards you want to send me, PM me and maybe I'll even pay for shipping.

Polecat

16 Dec 2020, 03:28

Kneeboard wrote:

"Hmm... "clicky" just doesn't seem to be quite the right word for these switches in this board... maybe... clonky"
I previously described the Futaba MAs here as "clunky", so we must be onto something.

shine

16 Dec 2020, 12:22

blue alps (in good condition) are unmatched

Kneeboard

16 Dec 2020, 13:22

Polecat wrote:
Kneeboard wrote:

I previously described the Futaba MAs here as "clunky", so we must be onto something.
Clunky
Clonky
It's starting to make sense now

hellothere

16 Dec 2020, 23:49

Kneeboard wrote:
Polecat wrote:
Kneeboard wrote:

Clunky
Clonky
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0JAfKnTJjI

Kneeboard

17 Dec 2020, 04:23

hellothere wrote:
16 Dec 2020, 23:49
Kneeboard wrote:
Polecat wrote:

Clunky
Clonky
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0JAfKnTJjI
c l o n k

hellothere

17 Dec 2020, 04:24

I'm definitely making a keyboard with Futaba MA my next buy when my budget allows. They do have a great sound.

Polecat

17 Dec 2020, 05:49

Kneeboard wrote:
17 Dec 2020, 04:23

c l o n k
Hail to the Great God Clonk! Just happy I almost got close.

Return to “Keyboards”