Fixing The Model F's (XT/AT) Spacebar Stabilizer Design Flaw

AgentOrange96

11 Dec 2020, 02:06

I was reading through darkcruix's technical reference for the Model F, which is very well done, and I saw a discussion on the XT/AT's spacebar stabilizer. The guide recommends against the drilling holes method that avoids taking the entire Model F apart. (Something that is not fun, especially without the right tools.) I'd actually followed unxmaal's example for painting/foam replacement/reassembly. However, the technical reference definitely shows a better way of going about it.

Anyway, a couple years back, I restored my XT keyboard, and in the process of re-assembling I broke the flipper on the spacebar. (Thank you Ellipse for selling me some new flippers! And I'm glad I was finally able to purchase a full keyboard from you!) I ultimately decided that assembling this thing with the spacebar on it was not going to happen.

I read up on the whole drill some holes in it and fish it out with floss thing, but I really didn't like that. So ultimately, I ended up devising something that, in my opinion, is a whole lot more elegant. I simply re-shaped the part of the spacebar that holds the stabilizer bar on. I'd previously shared this info on /r/MK, but I hadn't actually joined DT until about a week ago now. So I think it's worth posting here as well in case it's able to save anyone down the road a myriad of headaches. Below are the two images I'd originally posted to /r/MK, which unfortunately aren't very good. And I don't really have a before picture to post sadly:

As well, here is a link to my original Reddit thread.

With these plastic bits reshaped as is, I am able to remove and replace the spacebar without complete disassembly. It does require a little torsion to do so, but not overly much so. The stabilizer is definitely not going to come off by itself, and I don't feel I've weakened the integrity of the plastic in an appreciable way. Ultimately, I see this as a major oversight in the design of the spacebar, and it's really not a hard one to fix.
Last edited by AgentOrange96 on 11 Dec 2020, 08:37, edited 1 time in total.

cakeanalytics

11 Dec 2020, 04:25

I'm having a hard time picturing how to get the stabalizer wire to catch on both hooks on the space bar. Can you point out where you're attaching the floss?

AgentOrange96

11 Dec 2020, 08:13

cakeanalytics wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 04:25
I'm having a hard time picturing how to get the stabalizer wire to catch on both hooks on the space bar. Can you point out where you're attaching the floss?
No floss required! I actually just pulled my spacebar off for the first time in a long time to see how exactly this works again. (I use this keyboard with its original XT, so it doesn't get a whole lot of use) I took to opportunity to get pictures and to remember why this works.

First, let's look at where the stabilizer ends are:
DSC_1303.JPG
DSC_1303.JPG (4.58 MiB) Viewed 3126 times
This is what makes attaching the spacebar such a nightmare with the typical design. But, with this modification this is not an issue!
By filing off the back, we have just enough room to maneuver the clip onto this end of the stabilizer bar
DSC_1305.JPG
DSC_1305.JPG (4.79 MiB) Viewed 3126 times
DSC_1307.JPG
DSC_1307.JPG (4.24 MiB) Viewed 3126 times
Next we want to set the center into the holiness that is the buckling spring switch
DSC_1308.JPG
DSC_1308.JPG (4.19 MiB) Viewed 3126 times
Lastly, because the inside of the slot has been given a slight curve, and the other end of the spacebar is holding the stabilizer bar up, the stabilzier bar can pop into its slot on this side very easily. I have to give mine just the slightest twist, but I think with slightly more filing it might not even need that.
DSC_1309-Compressed.JPG
DSC_1309-Compressed.JPG (2.69 MiB) Viewed 3126 times
And just like that, the spacebar is attached with little hassle and fully stabilized!
DSC_1310.JPG
DSC_1310.JPG (4.89 MiB) Viewed 3126 times
DSC_1311.JPG
DSC_1311.JPG (4.83 MiB) Viewed 3126 times
As you can see, this mod is so much less effort than the drill holes/use floss method, and less (but still partly) destructive. If you're 100% hell-bent on leaving your keyboard unmodified, then this method obviously won't work, but given how minor it is, and how much of a serviceability improvement it makes, I think it is very well worth it!

JBert

11 Dec 2020, 13:04

Huh, I didn't know there was someone who wrote about drilling holes to reattach the space bar. When I wrote my guide with the fishing wire it was on how to keep that space bar flipper in its place when you were reassembling the internals with the space bar still mounted.

Attaching the space bar later is of course a nice trick...

Heck, it would also help with the poor souls who pulled off their model F spacebar and don't want to throw open their "new" keyboard right now.

AgentOrange96

11 Dec 2020, 19:33

JBert wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 13:04
Huh, I didn't know there was someone who wrote about drilling holes to reattach the space bar. When I wrote my guide with the fishing wire it was on how to keep that space bar flipper in its place when you were reassembling the internals with the space bar still mounted.

Attaching the space bar later is of course a nice trick...

Heck, it would also help with the poor souls who pulled off their model F spacebar and don't want to throw open their "new" keyboard right now.
Ohh I think I saw your guide as well back when I'd originally done this. I did not opt to bend the stabilizer bar on my F. Interestingly the spacebar doesn't feel too heavy to type on, and I've noticed my new Model F has lighter keys than my XT Model F. I did use one of Ellipse's flippers for the spacebar because I'd broken a flipper on my first attempt to put the thing together. So I wonder if it made the spacebar a little lighter.

Anyway, there are a few posts floating around about drilling holes. The best one I am seeing now is on Geekhack.

I did actually make the mistake of removing my spacebar long before I had my XT working. It is definitely not a good experience. It wasn't until I had my XT working and figured out some keys didn't work right that I began the journey of restoration. (New foam, sand+paint backing plate) And ultimately the frustration leading to this.

zrrion

14 Jul 2021, 15:40

Little bump here, but I have successfully modified my XT with the help of this thread, although the method described here is slightly different from the ideal method. I found that any modification of the hooks on the space bar results in a space bar that will come off too easily. The safer method is to shave material from the back of the spacebar, if you shave off enough material you can torque the space bar enough for an unmodified hook to catch the wire.

Return to “Keyboards”