How to improve MX Blacks?

GivenZane

13 Dec 2020, 16:45

Hi Everyone, I recently acquired 4 Cherry G80-11900 keyboards with MX Blacks for 6USD from my local recyclers. I'm not a fan of Blacks due to them being to heavy for a linear switch in my opinion as well as scratchy. So What can I do to improve them? I'm already thinking about changing the switches in 2 of them (eyeing some box jades), improving the blacks as much as I can in 1, and keeping one stock. What do you all think I should do with them?

Cheers,
--Given Zane

kelvinhall05

13 Dec 2020, 16:54

Too much work to make them worth using. Spring swap at minimum, very likely lube, probably film while you have them taken apart. If they're muh muh vint blacks I'd just sell them to some dumbass on Reddit.

Box Navy is awesome, I've heard good things about Jade but never used them. If you want a good budget linear maybe get some gat yellows.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

13 Dec 2020, 17:36

There's nothing to be improved in MX blacks.
Spoiler:
This, of course, seems to be a minority opinion :lol:

ntv242ver2

13 Dec 2020, 17:50

kelvinhall05 wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 16:54
Too much work to make them worth using. Spring swap at minimum, very likely lube, probably film while you have them taken apart. If they're muh muh vint blacks I'd just sell them to some dumbass on Reddit.

Box Navy is awesome, I've heard good things about Jade but never used them. If you want a good budget linear maybe get some gat yellows.
11900 is very recent, with track pad, so no vint black

Rayndalf

14 Dec 2020, 01:48

If they're clean then lube would be about all you can do. The switches are plateless PCB mount, so opening them for lube or cleaning is easy. Hell you could even swap the stems for something smoother too.

lucar

15 Dec 2020, 14:37

Hi,
I like linears and I find that mx blacks are too heavy for my fingers too.

I usually replace them with lubed Gateron yellows as You can see here, where I replaced even the pcb in a g81. If You buy them from china they are extremely cheap.

ddrfraser1

15 Dec 2020, 15:46

Yeah, IMO, there's not much you can do. Spring swap and lube will only get you so far. I did try vintage black for the first time this year and they are admittedly a lot better and actually pretty enjoyable to type on but still, there are better linears out there. You might as well just swap them for something nicer and sell the ones you've got.

Return to “Keyboards”