What are your keyboard projects for 2021?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Dec 2020, 13:00

What are your keyboard plans for 2021? Restoring an old keyboard? Buying something new? Designing a new controller? Selling all your collection?!
  • My main project I believe will be a 60% with split spacebar and arrow cluster (see here).
  • Then I'll be working on officially licensed Tolkien keycaps on MT3 profile of course (more about it).
  • Finally I wanted to mod the hell out of a Model F I have laying around since forever. That will involve a saw and a welding machine. Yeah, deal with it.
What about you?

Soqelye

27 Dec 2020, 14:09

matt3o wrote:
27 Dec 2020, 13:00
What are your keyboard plans for 2021? Restoring an old keyboard? Buying something new? Designing a new controller? Selling all your collection?!
  • My main project I believe will be a 60% with split spacebar and arrow cluster (see here).
  • Then I'll be working on officially licensed Tolkien keycaps on MT3 profile of course (more about it).
  • Finally I wanted to mod the hell out of a Model F I have laying around since forever. That will involve a saw and a welding machine. Yeah, deal with it.
What about you?
I want to make a 60-65% keyboard, but it's a little different.
I would like to make a board that has a separate place on top for different old chips, such as the photo I left below.
It looks cool and not standard to me as well as the board itself I want to make on alps and waiting for bondwell 8t+ru on keycaps o_o on skcl cream =3
(chip from datavue spark laptop very funny lol)
Attachments
BcRGBCxBZic.jpg
BcRGBCxBZic.jpg (195.41 KiB) Viewed 6512 times

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Dec 2020, 15:11

that chip is simply amazing :D

Soqelye

27 Dec 2020, 15:30

matt3o wrote:
27 Dec 2020, 15:11
that chip is simply amazing :D
ye :)

fohat
Elder Messenger

27 Dec 2020, 15:40

Actually finishing projects from years past?

mr_a500

27 Dec 2020, 15:52

I pppppplan on oppppppeninpppg mpy beamppppppsppppring kepppyboardppp to cleanp outpppp the tinyp bpitppp of dust underp the pppppp keyp.

CallmeJohn

27 Dec 2020, 16:11

^^^^^ that was good.

hellothere

27 Dec 2020, 16:30

As Fohat said, complete past year's tasks ...
* I have three keyboards that need to be converted to QMK so they can, like, actually work.
* I will retr0bright the several keyboards and keycap sets I have that need it.
* I will figure out how to wire up an ADB to USB converter.

Next year ...
* I will (probably) buy a GMMK or similar to use as a testbed for other switches and/or as my permanent Kailh Box Jade keyboard. And test some switches.
* I will sell the keyboards in my collection that I will never use.
* I will find an inexpensive Alps plate mount or Fujitsu clicky leaf spring keyboard.
* I will learn long-distance mind control so I can make someone send me a Beamspring.

Soqelye

27 Dec 2020, 16:33

hellothere wrote:
As Fohat said, complete past year's tasks ...
* I have three keyboards that need to be converted to QMK so they can, like, actually work.
* I will retr0bright the several keyboards and keycap sets I have that need it.
* I will figure out how to wire up an ADB to USB converter.

Next year ...
* I will (probably) buy a GMMK or similar to use as a testbed for other switches and/or as my permanent Kailh Box Jade keyboard. And test some switches.
* I will sell the keyboards in my collection that I will never use.
* I will find an inexpensive Alps plate mount or Fujitsu clicky leaf spring keyboard.
* I will learn long-distance mind control so I can make someone send me a Beamspring.
I have Russia seller with nos tkl with leaf spring lol)

digital_matthew

27 Dec 2020, 17:22

I'm attempting my first bolt mod on a mangled Model M 1390120 that I'm resto-modding. I'd also like to get back to work on the Sperry keyboard I started on awhile back.

sharktastica

27 Dec 2020, 18:49

Nothing hugely complex on its own, but I plan to bolt mod most of my Model Ms at some point. Going to be very time-consuming...

I still have to finish my keypad conversions - I've got three Model M7s and a Japanese LPFK to sort out. I originally took on this project since I wanted a few cheap macropads for at home and at my office, but then COVID happened and I haven't been back to my office since mid-March.

Finally, I want to 'robotise' a keyboard as something fun to do. Nothing hugely expensive or rare will be used for it, but I'm currently deciding between tank tracks or one of my currently-disused robot spiders (well technically, they're hexapods) as the 'driver' for it. Why? Because, why not!
Last edited by sharktastica on 27 Dec 2020, 18:55, edited 1 time in total.

zrrion

27 Dec 2020, 18:54

Gotta find a new manufacturer for a ALPSaver case repro after the first place didn't work out (protos were the wrong version of the files, wrong gauge metal, and the manu couldn't even do all of the things requested. they haven't responded to any of my emails since)

If I can get a good manufacturer going the plan is to just start making customs to go in the cases. I have SKCC, SKFF, and Topre customs that would look really nice in this sort of case.

JP!

27 Dec 2020, 19:18

hellothere wrote:
:o :o :o

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

27 Dec 2020, 19:22

sharktastica wrote:
Finally, I want to 'robotise' a keyboard as something fun to do. Nothing hugely expensive or rare will be used for it, but I'm currently deciding between tank tracks or one of my currently-disused robot spiders (well technically, they're hexapods) as the 'driver' for it. Why? Because, why not!
nightmare fuel arachno keyboard, thanks for this horrifying image :lol:

I'm going to finish restoring my bigfoot XT(in pieces), finish restoring a 3276 and 3278 beamspring, and probably make some cool metal cases for IBM boards and beamsprings with the help of a local friend.

adamcobabe

27 Dec 2020, 20:08

I have an IBM 3278, a Model F AT and a Model F122 all in pieces. All three have plates in need some love. I want to get the Beamspring plate redone with new zinc plating. Was close to having it done before the pandemic kicked off, but haven't touched it since. It's not really a do-at-home kind of a job because of the corrosive chemicals involved. The Model F plates have some rust. I would like to get them resurfaced too, because I've never been a fan of painting them. Maybe a thin black powder coat would be fine. Anyone done anything other than painting Model F plates?

Findecanor

27 Dec 2020, 20:16

My official plan for 2021 is to procrastinate.
That way, if I happen to continue work on (... or God forbid: finish) something that I had promised (myself and everyone) to finish earlier years then that wouldn't be considered a failure on my part.

mr_a500

27 Dec 2020, 20:20

Findecanor wrote:
27 Dec 2020, 20:16
My official plan for 2021 is to procrastinate.
What a coincidence! That was my 2020 plan! I have to say that it was an amazing success.

hellothere

27 Dec 2020, 23:06

Redmaus wrote:
27 Dec 2020, 19:22
sharktastica wrote:
nightmare fuel arachno keyboard, thanks for this horrifying image :lol:
Should we start making recommendations on which keyboard that would have the highest scare factor? Maybe one of those roll-up ones?

hellothere

27 Dec 2020, 23:09

adamcobabe wrote:
27 Dec 2020, 20:08
Anyone done anything other than painting Model F plates?
IMO, the painted ones look all sorts of wrong. I've considered doing this with other cases and I held off just because the examples I've seen don't look that great.

Jan Pospisil

27 Dec 2020, 23:48

1) Finish linearizing an Alps bigfoot and adding Czech caps once I get them from a certain DT member. ;)
2) Cleaning up and probably an attempt at bolt modding two Ms. (maybe seeing if I could get someone to print me a missing Czech legend keycap for one of them)
3) Lubing stabilizers and maybe sliders on my daily driver BTC.
4) Cleaning and documenting the...embarrassingly many interesting kbs I bought over the last year.

digital_matthew

28 Dec 2020, 02:45

sharktastica wrote:
... Finally, I want to 'robotise' a keyboard as something fun to do. Nothing hugely expensive or rare will be used for it, but I'm currently deciding between tank tracks or one of my currently-disused robot spiders (well technically, they're hexapods) as the 'driver' for it. Why? Because, why not!
You could add one of those laser projector keyboards as a laser cannon. That would be pretty dope.

fohat
Elder Messenger

28 Dec 2020, 02:56

Bolt-modding Model Ms - the first one is much harder, it is always fussy and tedious but it gets much easier with practice..

Painting metal plates is relatively easy - just prep properly follow the paint directions to the letter.

ddrfraser1

28 Dec 2020, 03:59

Here’s my spreadsheet

C596EEEA-A6EF-4C24-B0EC-2142DCE488A3.png
C596EEEA-A6EF-4C24-B0EC-2142DCE488A3.png (49.12 KiB) Viewed 6171 times

morbid42

28 Dec 2020, 04:03

RT680-a spacd invader 68% keyboard project 8-)
pcb.png
pcb.png (100.58 KiB) Viewed 6169 times
Attachments
rendering.png
rendering.png (749.33 KiB) Viewed 6169 times

John Doe

28 Dec 2020, 05:50

Unsaver, definitely.

But I know this'll become my new plan of the 2022 at the end of the next year.

arcticfox

28 Dec 2020, 06:07

More dumpster diving/visiting recycling places
I know I'll hit a beamspring eventually

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 Dec 2020, 08:52

I see a lot of Model M bolt mods? Aren't Model M passé by now?

Jan Pospisil

28 Dec 2020, 12:24

matt3o wrote:
I just saw 2 of them for super cheap, so I got them. :|

sharktastica

28 Dec 2020, 15:50

matt3o wrote:
:evilgeek:
hellothere wrote:
27 Dec 2020, 23:06
Should we start making recommendations on which keyboard that would have the highest scare factor? Maybe one of those roll-up ones?
Good idea!
digital_matthew wrote:
28 Dec 2020, 02:45
You could add one of those laser projector keyboards as a laser cannon. That would be pretty dope.
Could do, although the prospect of seeing one of those is more likely to scare people than the spiderbot itself! :lol:

headphone_jack

28 Dec 2020, 19:35

Finally finish all my outstanding projects, of which I have more than I can count. Most notably my beamspring, which I've been working on for the better part of a year now.

Return to “Keyboards”