evokee

06 Jan 2021, 18:48

Last edited by evokee on 03 Mar 2021, 04:24, edited 2 times in total.

Weezer

06 Jan 2021, 20:52

Improvements are only as valuable as the person using the keyboard finds them. What works as an improvement for me or someone else may not work for you because you have a different work flow and different personal preferences.

evokee

06 Jan 2021, 23:08

Last edited by evokee on 03 Mar 2021, 04:23, edited 1 time in total.

Rayndalf

07 Jan 2021, 00:49

What are the benefits of the narrow top row?

Consider splitting the spacebar (to be half backspace and half space). Or turning one of the enter keys into backspace and making the key that is currently backspace delete instead.

evokee

07 Jan 2021, 01:56

Weezer

07 Jan 2021, 08:02

Well I could give you feedback but it would match my own ideas on what a keyboard layout should be like, and you will probably not agree, like you did not agree with Rayndalf. This is why I said it is a personal preference. For example I do not like ortholinear keyboards and I do not like keyboards that don't use qwerty, but I'm sure you would say these are great benefits to yourself. If you're interested in finding ideas that you may like I recommend you scroll through this thread and see if you can find ideas from other people's favorite layouts viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10821
Last edited by Weezer on 07 Jan 2021, 10:55, edited 1 time in total.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

07 Jan 2021, 08:18

I'm just wondering in which language you're typing most of the time.
I suppose it won't be Spanish, as I can see no ñ. So what's the use of a ¿ key?

Rayndalf

07 Jan 2021, 09:44

evokee wrote:
> What are the benefits of the narrow top row?
It's how laptop keyboard are designed and I love such design.
The only problem with the narrow top row is that it cannot be easily prototyped using mechanical switches (either full size MX style switches or lower profile Kailh Choc switches). Since this probably won't see large scale manufacture (at least in the prototyping phase), you're somewhat reliant on what can be done using off the shelf parts. Unless this is strictly theoretical or used on a touchscreen.
evokee wrote:
> Consider splitting the spacebar..
I cannot doing that since I use the whole spacebar surface to type a space, especially in video game, same for enter keys, those both surface are really intensive zones during game sessions, also programming session.
If you prefer an unsplit spacebar that is fine, but I'd still reccomend making backspace and delete more accessible. No use in creating a totally unique layout and keeping the worst part of a QWERTY board (having to lift your entire right hand everytime you make a typing error).

Some other random questions in no particular order:

The blue label on the spacebar implies that Function + Spacebar = Enter(?). Is the only Function key above the Tab key?

What do the two blank keys to the right of spacebar do?

Some if the keys look like layer toggles, how does this board use layers, or are they compose keys of some sort?

Some of the punctuation keys look like ones I've seen on Japanese keyboards. Is this board designed to input a language other than English? Would those keys be better on layers instead or will you be typing different languages frequently?

Does 'show menu' (the key to the right of up arrow) need it's own key? I almost never use this key, is it something you use often? If you don't use it frequently then it might be better on a layer.

Have you actually typed on this alphanumeric layout? Replacing the number row with additional punctuation is a pretty bold move. Again I assume you use layers or a modifier to type closing brackets (I see keys for ( < [ { but not ) > ] })

I'd love to see a picture of your current prototype if you have one.

vvp

07 Jan 2021, 11:05

Since you do not have proper thumb clusters then +1 for a split space bar.
Even if you use it in gaming sessions then you probably do not use full width of it with one hand. If so then you can split it at the locations where it is not typically pressed.
Split space bar allows you to map one half of it to something else (e.g. backspace or shift) possibly in a separate layer.
The biggest problem of traditional keyboards is that most precious location of the keyboard space where thumbs rest and where thumbs are the most precise to hit keys is wasted by one big-ass space bar. What a nonsense!

depletedvespene

07 Jan 2021, 14:25

Two 2U Enter keys, one on top of another (plus other not as obvious signs)? Sorry, but this reminds me very much of a certain past thread...

evokee

07 Jan 2021, 14:55

evokee

07 Jan 2021, 14:59

Last edited by evokee on 03 Mar 2021, 04:24, edited 3 times in total.

evokee

07 Jan 2021, 15:32

Return to “Keyboards”