Recreating the Lisp keyboard (10 years later)

inozenz

11 Jun 2021, 09:48

lispnick wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 00:25
Finally, I got the time to make video on making a keycap! I have been asked to make a custom ESC key based on an SVG graphics. I took this as an opportunity to make video of the whole process. Here it is:
Also, I have made a new mix featuring all different types of switches used so far:
WOW I'm speechless. The first video is so valuable and full of knowledge condensed into 5 minutes. I am very greatfull for your work. It was one of my goals to create my own keycaps. I had a slight idea on how to do that, but your video isn't missing a single step and it's fool proof. Thank you!!

Bjerrk

11 Jun 2021, 11:03

lispnick wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 00:25
Finally, I got the time to make video on making a keycap! I have been asked to make a custom ESC key based on an SVG graphics. I took this as an opportunity to make video of the whole process. Here it is:
That. Was. Amazing.

inmbolmie

11 Jun 2021, 12:21

I thought the process had to be ridiculously complex, but the reality is beyond my imagination.

How in the hell do you manage to get rid of air bubbles? Are you using extra equipment not shown in the video like pressure pump/vacuum chambers?

lispnick

11 Jun 2021, 12:28

inmbolmie wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 12:21
I thought the process had to be ridiculously complex, but the reality is beyond my imagination.

How in the hell do you manage to get rid of air bubbles? Are you using extra equipment not shown in the video like pressure pump/vacuum chambers?
Yes. The silicone is degassed in a vacuum chamber before pouring and the polyurethane cures in a pressure chamber at 60 PSI.

Go-Kart

11 Jun 2021, 13:23

God damn dude. What you're doing is so damn cool.

TNT

11 Jun 2021, 13:57

It blows my mind that you're doing all of this on your own

darkcruix

11 Jun 2021, 15:00

TNT wrote:
And the quality of the outcome ... wow!
If you didn't have all the tooling available, I bet there was some investment required...

inozenz

11 Jun 2021, 15:41

darkcruix wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 15:00
TNT wrote:
And the quality of the outcome ... wow!
If you didn't have all the tooling available, I bet there was some investment required...
If i saw everything right, its quite inexpencive if you exclude the cnc machine.
At my university we got a cnc machine open for the public, so if you have a project, you are able to use it.
In my case that is waht i am going to do. I got more then enough legos xD

SneakyRobb
THINK

12 Jun 2021, 22:57

Hi,

This thread is amazing. Your keycap making abilities are super excellent. Absolutely outstanding work!

Robb

darkcruix

12 Jun 2021, 23:28

SneakyRobb wrote:
Hi,

This thread is amazing. Your keycap making abilities are super excellent. Absolutely outstanding work!

Robb
Now Robb, I hope you get the same game up for the BeamSpring caps ;)

SneakyRobb
THINK

13 Jun 2021, 00:24

darkcruix wrote:
SneakyRobb wrote:
Hi,

Robb
Hah. Feel very attacked!!! I actually have all the chemicals to make these sort of keycaps, just need the time and will. I am also building an acid etching station to directly make beamsprings now.

darkcruix

13 Jun 2021, 17:14

SneakyRobb wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 00:24
darkcruix wrote:
SneakyRobb wrote:
Hi,

Robb
Hah. Feel very attacked!!! I actually have all the chemicals to make these sort of keycaps, just need the time and will. I am also building an acid etching station to directly make beamsprings now.
Just teasing you ;) Love what you do...

Return to “Keyboards”