How do I add LEDs to my Corsair K60 keyboard?

huttala

27 Apr 2012, 21:23

off wrote:
huttala wrote:I got the MK-80 today, and man it was a pain to remove the switches. The solder went trough the hole and on the other side of the PCB on all switches when I tried to suck it away from the switch.
I'm planning to change all the blue LEDs to green, and use white leds on WASD the arrow keys and number 5 on the numpad.
Gotta say hut, I like your style; second brand new board in a row that you're diving in to mod (well first is still to come in, but that's not your fault ;)).

But; please tell me, why desolder the switches when you want to get a ledswap done? Or is there somfin' you're not letting on?
Oh, also, how much did this q cost you delivered (seeing same country as factory/shop and all)?
I took the whole switch off because I had to, the solder went down the hole on the LEDs to, so I had to rip them off instead, well not rip, but pull with more force then usual.

The board didn't cost me nothing, changed it from a guy that didn't like mechboards. He got an old computer from me for it.

The board is 1300kr(146€) with shipping in Sweden.

And thanks! Nonmodded things just doesn't work for me. Heres a pic of my computer: :P

huttala

28 Apr 2012, 20:51

It's getting somewhere.. one row done. :)

J0hn

28 Apr 2012, 21:33

Looks very nice, I think I will do this with mine too, do you have a link to the green diodes you are using or did you pick them up locally?

off

28 Apr 2012, 21:44

Looking pretty good, have a pic with the full overview? Plus one from reclined position; the way you'd see it when gaming. ;)
And nice case; how's the cabletop working for ya? :)

huttala

29 Apr 2012, 07:37

J0hn: I picked them up from Kjell C:O, so you can pick em up from there as well. I saw that You live in Sweden.
But keep in mind, this is not easy, so far I've had to rewire 4 LEDs because the PCB cant take the heat very well, and the LEDs are soldered at both sides of the PCB, so you have to rip them off.

off: I'll post more pics when I get home from work. I'm done with 2 rows now.

To everyone else (j0hn and off included), I'm thinking about making 12345 white as well, so I get "gaming lighting" IE, WASD and 12345 white, the rest green. What do you think about that?

Oh, and I forgot to tell you that I'm soldering ergoclears on the PCB atm. :)

off

29 Apr 2012, 16:33

dang ergoclears... how do you like those so far?
And what you refer to as gaming lighting doesn't fit my gaming; I always use QERF more than 1-5, and most times zxcv as much as 1-5.. so in my case that'd look quite shite I imagine; just 1/3 of the board in white, with 5 sticking out ;)
No rush on the pics for me, I'll be off for a bit to party a li'll.

ripster

29 Apr 2012, 18:17

Damn dude. I thought you said in the title you were getting a K60? Biiiiig difference between a K60 and K80. The main one being it ships without LEDs!
Hi!

I have an Corsair K60 keyboard on the way (that I got for free, yay), that I'm going to mod as much as possible.
So the first thing I'm going to do is change all the stems to clear ones, so I get ergoclears, thats easy peasy.
But yah, nice job!

off

29 Apr 2012, 18:37

Damn rip, losing your touch! (or just lack of coffee?)
Attachments
losing it.jpg
losing it.jpg (359.3 KiB) Viewed 6492 times

ripster

29 Apr 2012, 19:28

Hah QPAD, not Corsair.

And any mistakes I blame on my iPad.

Ü

off

29 Apr 2012, 20:23

ripster wrote:on my iPad.
W.T.F. is that.
Attachments
wtf ripster ipad sign.png
wtf ripster ipad sign.png (58.95 KiB) Viewed 6473 times

huttala

29 Apr 2012, 21:34

ripster wrote:Damn dude. I thought you said in the title you were getting a K60? Biiiiig difference between a K60 and K80. The main one being it ships without LEDs!
Hi!

I have an Corsair K60 keyboard on the way (that I got for free, yay), that I'm going to mod as much as possible.
So the first thing I'm going to do is change all the stems to clear ones, so I get ergoclears, thats easy peasy.
But yah, nice job!
Try reading the thread ripster.
The K60 is still going to get modded, but I need something to do while its on its way here.
But thanks anyway! :)
huttala wrote:The keyboard is still missing... Don't know what the postal services here in Sweden does. It's the second time I get something sent without tracking and it's the second time the package suddenly "dissapears". Last time it was a Radeon 5850(when they were new and expencive).

Oh well, if it doesnt show up I'll just get an quickfire rapid and mod that board instead. :(

EDIT:
I spoke to the postal office in Sweden and they didn't send the keyboard, they forgot about it.. Sigh.. Well, it's on it's way now, guess I'll get it monday or tuesday.

And I got another board as well, a shitty Qpad MK-80 (xarmor) but I'll mod away everything stock from it exept the PCB. :)

ripster

30 Apr 2012, 01:20

Now the Corsair will be a challenge....

And this is a Tibetan exclamation point.

༒༓༔༄

Or a smiley. : ) 8D

huttala

02 May 2012, 21:13

I havn't got the corsair board yet... Fucking idiots at the post office in Sweden..

Well I got an update on the MK-80 anyway.
Dunno what colors I want on the arrow keys, I'm thinking white. And Im thinking aabout leaving the numpad blue, what do you guys think about that?

off

03 May 2012, 12:29

Sounds good; but hard to judge without a full pic :D
Gotta say, the white on 1-5 does quite nicely complement the white wasd.

huttala

03 May 2012, 13:48

I'm done with this f*cking keyboard now. This was the worst mod I've done in my whole life, Qpad raelly did e verthing they could to make this board hard to mod, the LEDs were really stuck there. But oh well, 40 hours later I got this:

I still got some work to do tho, the number 1 on the numpad doesn't light up and the key "a" shatters.

EDIT:
Oh, and the K60 hasn't arrived yet...
And I haave to say that Ergoclears on a plate mounted board is WAY different then ergoclears on a PCB mounted board, the tactile feedback is atleast twice as big.. Feels kinda strange.

off

03 May 2012, 15:34

sound like regular clears on a plate seem like the way to go :D I mean :( since I'll have to get a load of those of 7b..
Your enter seems funky btw? And what do you mean with the '"A" shatters', looks the same on the pic as w/d/s, to me..?
Should do your mouse as well in the same colour ;)

huttala

03 May 2012, 15:54

off wrote:sound like regular clears on a plate seem like the way to go :D I mean :( since I'll have to get a load of those of 7b..
Your enter seems funky btw? And what do you mean with the '"A" shatters', looks the same on the pic as w/d/s, to me..?
Should do your mouse as well in the same colour ;)
A shatters = when I write "A" it goes "AAAAAA" sometimes.

And the mouse would be nice to mod, dunno if I have the balls for it tho. :P

off

03 May 2012, 15:59

Yuck. Maybe resolder the switch? Sounds like you funked up that one somewhere, maybe a dirty soldering, I really don't know; did you even touch the switch soldering there?

ripster

03 May 2012, 18:08

itlnstln

03 May 2012, 18:44

huttala wrote:A shatters
Damn, you have some strong pinkies.

ripster

03 May 2012, 19:21

I first read it as Ass Hatters.

itlnstln

03 May 2012, 19:24

ripster wrote:I first read it as Ass Hatters.

Ha!

A cafe nearby my office (it's pretty good, too):

off

03 May 2012, 21:19

ripster wrote:For chattering try this.
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title= ... Characters
You might want to re-up that, (also these from your masterlist: mx wiki & brodragon's mx switch collection) 'cause at least now, that cherry switch & board wiki is n/a afaik. Would be appreesh ;)

nice gif though.

ripster

03 May 2012, 22:06

Not my wiki anymore. Have at it.

huttala

04 May 2012, 00:51

Hrm.. I've replaced the switch, but it seems like it's not the switch thats the problem.

Kinda feels like the spring doesnt have enough force to pull the switch all the way upp when i rest my fingers on the keys.. Really annoying.. :(

ripster

04 May 2012, 00:53

Oh, and I forgot to tell you that I'm soldering ergoclears on the PCB atm.
This is your problem. Ergoclears were a 2011 GH trend like Beam Spring Keyboards in 2010.

huttala

04 May 2012, 01:26

ripster wrote:
Oh, and I forgot to tell you that I'm soldering ergoclears on the PCB atm.
This is your problem. Ergoclears were a 2011 GH trend like Beam Spring Keyboards in 2010.
They worked just fine on my G80-8113 board, that is not platemounted. So I don't see the problem there. But IF this problem is related to platemounted ergoclears I think I should have seen it.

Or am I blind ? :?

beta

13 Jun 2012, 22:11

I registered just to ask if you have completed the K60 mod. I am wanting to do this also as was wondering what specs for resistors and diodes you used.

thanks
Cris

huttala

28 Aug 2012, 16:55

NOW I got the K60 board, after a lot of time, but at least it came to me.

So now I'm going to do some modding, and I'm even thinking about doing it TKL.
I have not opened it up yet, I don't want to do that before I know if this is a "easy" mod or if it's a 50h+ mod.

So here to the question, where is the controller? Can I just cut the board off and then use it as TKL or do I need to rewire the whole board?

kyriptic

28 Aug 2012, 17:04

i believe the controller is between Delete key and left arrow key? Someone else on here (Aleksander) did a tkl mod on it but used a Chameleon board to replace the controller.

He sent me this pick when i asked him about it.
http://oyen.in/K30.jpg

Return to “Keyboards”