Whats up with the whole Typewriter thing

Lalaland124

04 Feb 2021, 12:48

Heyo,

I hear a lot of people are collecting Alps Switches from old electrical typewriters, which got me into the hobby as well :3.

Can you even reuse such switches in modern-day keyboards or is it just a collectors thing?

Do they have the same pins as Alps in old mechanical keyboards (for which I've heard one can get Pcb's etc.) or is it possible to desolder them and reuse them in such PCBs ?

Would appreciate it if someone could explain to me, why they are so desirable and what you can do out of them when you for example just found an old typewriter with green alps :)

Rayndalf

04 Feb 2021, 22:20

Electric typewriters are keyboards, just directly wired to the "writing" part of the typewriter :lol: .

The switches are often just older variants of switches that later appeared in conventional keyboards. Cherry M7 / M8 or the older Alps variants (SKCC and SKFF) and others appeared in some early terminal / microcomputer keyboards and other devices (my Yamaha QX1 has SKCC switches).

Pin compatibility is a pain though. For "normal" Alps (SKCL/SKCM) they're totally compatible with many PCBs (but the OG keycaps might only cover a weird typewriter layout). SKCC and others will probably required a new PCB. Generally tracing / converting the original PCB might be the best way to reuse the switches and keycaps (assuming you can stomach the layout).

zrrion

04 Feb 2021, 22:32

a lot of the nicer typewriters actually have n-key rollover, so a new PCB might not be required. Biggest issue for use will be layout and making a case. Depending on your standards a case could be as easy as adding some stick-on feet to the bottom and rocking it basically bare so a case is really only as hard as you make it. Layout is going to be the biggest factor, especially since a lot of typewriters don't have too many switches in the bottom row.

For me I really like a lot of the older switches in typewriters. SKCC and SKFF mostly, but M9 and some of the proto-topre switches are good too, as well as a bunch of switches I haven't managed to get a hold of. Biggest obstacle to getting typewriters is honestly shipping since they are so heavy. It is hard to justify shipping something that heavy when all it ends up being is parts, but sometimes deals present themselves.

mcmaxmcmc

04 Feb 2021, 23:07

Lalaland124 wrote:
04 Feb 2021, 12:48

Can you even reuse such switches in modern-day keyboards or is it just a collectors thing?
There's a whole niche section of custom mechanical keyboards that support Alps switches, some even supports only Alps switches. I think that answers your question. :)

Yasu0

05 Feb 2021, 03:08

Broken old typewriters have low values.. old switches and keycaps can be expensive. It makes perfect sense.

Lalaland124

05 Feb 2021, 12:46

Thx guys!!

Return to “Keyboards”