Epson PC286KB2 - Mitsumi KKQ Switch?

vdublove37

11 Feb 2021, 09:39

Imgur: http://imgur.com/a/r12hDyr

I think I hit something quite strange with this one! Found on ebay nearby, and then sent to a fellow here on DT for cleaning, retrobrite, conversion, and lubing. The keycaps are pad-printed, but held up well to the retrobrite process. The before and after pics can be see in the Imgur link above.

It's from a PC-98 compatible Epson system, the board manufactured by Mitsumi. At first we thought it was a KPQ board, but after some thought I realized it had a PCB (and a full diode set for NKRO, although the controller is limited to 6KRO), so it must be one of the few non-Commodore KKQ boards! I found very little info on this board, besides some Yahoo Japan auctions.

So far, it types wonderfully. Very tactile, thocky, quiet, and no mushiness to speak of. Looks great too! Figured it's worth a share with the community.

Jan Pospisil

11 Feb 2021, 14:39

Nice! Reminds me I should finally open up my own early K?Q board and see what exact type it is. (mine is Acer)

vdublove37

11 Feb 2021, 16:54

How did you like yours? I know the K-Q switches get some flak around here, but so far I find mine to be pretty nice! Although I am still pretty inexperienced, and have only really tried a Model F, FLS 2nd gen, and a couple of modern switches.

Jan Pospisil

11 Feb 2021, 19:48

vdublove37 wrote:
11 Feb 2021, 16:54
How did you like yours? I know the K-Q switches get some flak around here, but so far I find mine to be pretty nice! Although I am still pretty inexperienced, and have only really tried a Model F, FLS 2nd gen, and a couple of modern switches.
I'm not sure yet, I didn't try it a ton. If felt a bit light and rubber dome like, but not unpleasant.

Lynx_Carpathica

11 Feb 2021, 20:05

The one on my commodore 128 felt good. untill it gotten dirty that is.

vdublove37

11 Feb 2021, 21:00

The tactility is definiteoy rubber dome-like, SUPER rounded. My board is nearly spotless inside and lubed, so hopefully with good care the switch feel will last for years.

Return to “Keyboards”