How many keyboards?

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

01 Mar 2021, 06:25

I have around 100, and really I'd say the honest reason of why you have them. If you collect them, say yeah I like to collect old computer keyboards, the switches are fun to type on and each has a little bit of history attached to it.
If you are running a business(selling or refurbing) say yeah I am good at finding or working on these keyboards and I like to help others that can't find or refurb them by themselves.
I have over 100 because some are project boards that I need to get to and others are just something I want to have, maybe I'll give it to a friend one day or sell it to another member. I spent about a week putting together my massive keyboard shelf, and now that I have the ability to store them properly(before they were sprawled about like a huge mess) I'm not in any hurry to unload them or sell them all off.
IMG_2370.jpg
IMG_2370.jpg (2.49 MiB) Viewed 4900 times

Go-Kart

01 Mar 2021, 09:18

AgentOrange96 wrote:
28 Feb 2021, 21:50
Okay, so I'll skip keyboards built into laptops or my Commodore:

1. My WASD V2, this is my regular go-to keyboard. It's nice but not obnoxiously loud (MX Browns)
2. My WASD V3, this is my work keyboard for in the lab. So far so good.
3. USB Thinkpad Keyboard, this is used for my music creation PC, which is a ThinkCentre, so it matches.
4. Wooting One, this is going to be used for my gaming PC once Ryzen 5000 and Radeon 6000 stop being stupid expensive
5. IBM Model F XT, this is the ONLY keyboard for my IBM XT, and the one if came with
6. IBM Model M, now we get into less justifiable territory. But this was in the family, and it's kind of the gold standard, and I got it for free.
7. Model F Labs F77... It's the platinum standard? Yeah, IDK how to justify this one since I paid a lot for it. To be fair it'll be around forever?
8. Rii mini i8+, this I originally got when using my Raspberry Pi as a media computer. But nowadays I just use it when I'm lazy and don't want to sit properly at my desk during Teams meetings or whatever.
Skip laptop keyboards? I'd argue you could justify additional keyboards to use WITH said laptops :lol:

Bjerrk

01 Mar 2021, 11:19

I think a better way of looking at it is, "How many keyboards do I not have?".

When you think about it like that, our collections are extremely modest.
8-)

depletedvespene

11 Mar 2021, 18:05

Bjerrk wrote:
01 Mar 2021, 11:19
I think a better way of looking at it is, "How many keyboards do I not have?".

When you think about it like that, our collections are extremely modest.
8-)
Well, that can be used to partition the collection in two groups, as well. If not more...

- My main "daily drivers" are the IBM F122, the Model M XXK, the F77... and a (modded to be extra silent) WASD v2 that I bought specifically for the office (which I haven't seen in almost a year now — hopefully it hasn't died of loneliness and/or dust accumulation). I ain't getting rid of them because, duh, daily drivers.

- Then there's the large bunch of Model M full-size, SSK and M122 keyboards that I rescued, or that I bought for some unique feature. All those COULD be the daily drivers, should an "opening" show up. I ain't getting rid of them because, duh, could be daily drivers.

- Then there's the stuff that I bought for lustalgia — more than one Apple M0120 keypad, a couple M0110A keyboards (plus an M0110 I don't talk about) and a few other elsewhere-branded keyboards. I ain't getting rid of them because, duh, valued items in my collection (even if I don't intend to put them on regular usage).

- Then there's the stuff that fills in important spots in one's collection (pingmasters, Monterey 75% keyboards). I ain't getting rid of them... unless they can be traded away for something cooler (for my meaning of "cooler").

- Then there's the junk I got for cheap knowing it'd be either salvaged keyboards OR parts donors. I ain't getting rid of them because one day (any day now) I might actually process them and might even put them back in working order.

- Then there's the inventory of parts and pieces that were obtained with the intention of building custom keyboards or keypads. Any day now...

- And many sets of IBM Model F/M keycaps. Of course.

Keybug

11 Mar 2021, 20:00

TNT wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 16:42
That picture is funny and concerning at the same time :mrgreen:
I've been in that basement and, yes, at the time I was wondering if that was healthy. Now one large room in my basement looks very similar - though it probably only contains about one third of Wodan's keyboard storage volume.

And yes, XMIT, I also keep telling myself I have to sell around 100 boards tomorrow, but no one ever gets round to it, do they? In the end we'll all end up posting here looking for someone to give us 500 bucks and pick up all the stuff at once in lorry just so we're rid of it. A bit like what's happening to Deskthority now - the one hope will be that it all ends up in good hands...

lhutton

11 Mar 2021, 22:42

A lot, I've got to get them better organized though. Bought some storage boxes but the shelf I have isn't adequate.

hellothere

12 Mar 2021, 23:46

I currently have about 25. I still insist that I'm NOT a collector and just enjoy repairing old keyboards.

I can justify maybe five: I have two computers, so a daily driver and a backup for each. I also have the keyboard I'm currently typing on: it's a stock USB keyboard that I swapped the MX-brown clones out of and installed Kailh box Jade switches. I mainly use this one for testing in case I need to swap out something immediately because I know it has no problems of any kind. It's also a 75%, so I could take it with me, if I needed to.

Out of the 20 left, I have approximately 6 that I can say are currently in sell-able condition. I've got 5 or so that'll take about another two or three months to repair.

I've been scheming to get a KB with Alps plate springs and an Omron-based one, as I've never tried one of those. I'd like to eventually get a beam spring, but that's waaaay down the road.

Reshala

14 Mar 2021, 07:51

Simple answer: Way too many.
Ok, let me count:
new f62, epson bfk, rf rgb, variable weight, rf 30g, rf 45g tkl, short throw(two actually), jdl, juki, hhkb jp, sharp 68k, libertouch, chicony, 5576 001, a01, dell model m, 3178... there are a few more not in my hand so... Seriously considering selling most of these since most are not really that interesting and are just me trying to find a perfect daily lel. Plus, I got addicted to libertouch since receiving it.

Go-Kart

14 Mar 2021, 16:36

hellothere wrote:
I still insist that I'm NOT a collector and just enjoy repairing old keyboards.
It was only a few weeks ago when I first started being interested in old keyboards. I started this thread shortly after. I fear now I that I unconsciously fallen into the latter category...
Reshala wrote:
epson bfk
My goodness! I've only just had my first try of a Topre board and I'm not quite sold on the concept yet. However, it was love at first sight when I saw Chyros' video on the BFK. Just the right about of modularity too in my humble opinion.

wobbled

14 Mar 2021, 21:04

I downsized from just over 100 to around 6 and couldn't be happier!

Go-Kart

14 Mar 2021, 21:28

My goodness! What were the venerable six that beat out the rest?

AgentOrange96

14 Mar 2021, 23:35

Go-Kart wrote:
01 Mar 2021, 09:18
AgentOrange96 wrote:
28 Feb 2021, 21:50
Okay, so I'll skip keyboards built into laptops or my Commodore:

1. My WASD V2, this is my regular go-to keyboard. It's nice but not obnoxiously loud (MX Browns)
2. My WASD V3, this is my work keyboard for in the lab. So far so good.
3. USB Thinkpad Keyboard, this is used for my music creation PC, which is a ThinkCentre, so it matches.
4. Wooting One, this is going to be used for my gaming PC once Ryzen 5000 and Radeon 6000 stop being stupid expensive
5. IBM Model F XT, this is the ONLY keyboard for my IBM XT, and the one if came with
6. IBM Model M, now we get into less justifiable territory. But this was in the family, and it's kind of the gold standard, and I got it for free.
7. Model F Labs F77... It's the platinum standard? Yeah, IDK how to justify this one since I paid a lot for it. To be fair it'll be around forever?
8. Rii mini i8+, this I originally got when using my Raspberry Pi as a media computer. But nowadays I just use it when I'm lazy and don't want to sit properly at my desk during Teams meetings or whatever.
Skip laptop keyboards? I'd argue you could justify additional keyboards to use WITH said laptops :lol:
My 11 year old cheap shitty Acer Aspire actually has a kick-ass keyboard! xD

hellothere

15 Mar 2021, 18:49

I guess it would be nice to post the daily drivers.

* SteelSeries Apex Pro (Hall effect). Linear.
* Chicony 5161 blue Alps. Clicky.
* Apple Extended Keyboard II orange Alps. Tactile.
* Wang 724/725 salmon Alps. Tactile.
* Apple Extended Keyboard II cream damped Alps. Tactile.
* Custom Kailh Box Jade Thick Click TKL. Clicky.

All the above are in really good condition. The AEKs could use some retr0brighting, but I'm not caring too much.

If I sell enough stuff AND Wooting can get their act together (one of their suppliers will no longer produce one of their parts, so they will miss their April ship date), I'll probably buy a Wooting Two HE (Hall effect). The Wooting has 60cn springs vs. the SteelSeries' 45cn springs. You can't swap out the springs on the SteelSeries.

I also really like my Futaba MA clicky. It's just fun to type on, so I'll try to justify keeping it. Even if I have to do some logic bending :D. I just don't care for the spacebar.

Reshala

16 Mar 2021, 01:49

Go-Kart wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 16:36
hellothere wrote:
I still insist that I'm NOT a collector and just enjoy repairing old keyboards.
It was only a few weeks ago when I first started being interested in old keyboards. I started this thread shortly after. I fear now I that I unconsciously fallen into the latter category...
Reshala wrote:
epson bfk
My goodness! I've only just had my first try of a Topre board and I'm not quite sold on the concept yet. However, it was love at first sight when I saw Chyros' video on the BFK. Just the right about of modularity too in my humble opinion.
Personally, I feel like stock topre 45g was beaten by libertouch from a typing perspective completely... However, libertouch is based on membrane tho so only 3KRO. The greatest thing about the BFK is that the numpad can be configured to the left, I think ASUS made a gaming board with a similar idea recently.

Go-Kart

16 Mar 2021, 09:46

Reshala wrote:
Personally, I feel like stock topre 45g was beaten by libertouch from a typing perspective completely... However, libertouch is based on membrane tho so only 3KRO. The greatest thing about the BFK is that the numpad can be configured to the left
Interesting that you hold the Libretouch in such high regard. I have only come across one on eBay recently having not even heard of them before. Although, what I would like to know is, where did you find a BFK!? They were only available in Japan, right?

Muirium
µ

16 Mar 2021, 10:26

See if Chyros has a vid about it. I expect so. He's an obsessive! Which means he's got relevant boards on hand to compare it to. His opinion's just his own, but he's gathered quite a bit of knowledge too.

Go-Kart

16 Mar 2021, 11:49

Do you know, I think we may have found a glaring omission in his video catalogue! The DT WIKI has a good bit on Libertouch boards but the only things I could find on YouTube were typing demonstrations.

Reshala

16 Mar 2021, 23:03

Go-Kart wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 09:46
Reshala wrote:
Personally, I feel like stock topre 45g was beaten by libertouch from a typing perspective completely... However, libertouch is based on membrane tho so only 3KRO. The greatest thing about the BFK is that the numpad can be configured to the left
Interesting that you hold the Libretouch in such high regard. I have only come across one on eBay recently having not even heard of them before. Although, what I would like to know is, where did you find a BFK!? They were only available in Japan, right?
Well, AFAIK Libertouch is never sold outside of Japan lol so it's understandable that there is almost no review in English. I got most of my Japanese stuff like Juki, BFK, Libertouch, etc. from yahoo auction.

Go-Kart

16 Mar 2021, 23:16

Reshala wrote:
Well, AFAIK Libertouch is never sold outside of Japan lol so it's understandable that there is almost no review in English. I got most of my Japanese stuff like Juki, BFK, Libertouch, etc. from yahoo auction.
Yahoo auction? I'll have to have a look. Though, from what I understand about BFK pricing, I will never be able to afford one!

Libertouch must've made it outside Japan as they do ANSI models as well as JIS though, right?

How much would someone expect to pay for a BFK or a Libertouch?

Reshala

16 Mar 2021, 23:20

Go-Kart wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 23:16
Reshala wrote:
Yahoo auction? I'll have to have a look. Though, from what I understand about BFK pricing, I will never be able to afford one!

Libertouch must've made it outside Japan as they do ANSI models as well as JIS though, right?

How much would someone expect to pay for a BFK or a Libertouch?
I can DM you lol

Chyros

17 Mar 2021, 14:28

About 350 by now.

Send help.

depletedvespene

17 Mar 2021, 14:34

Chyros wrote:
About 350 by now.

Send help.
I was about to send you a keyboard.

Bjerrk

17 Mar 2021, 14:38

depletedvespene wrote:
Chyros wrote:
About 350 by now.

Send help.
The correct definition of help.

JP!

17 Mar 2021, 15:29

Chyros wrote:
About 350 by now.

Send help.
:o :shock:

It's too late. :cry:
depletedvespene wrote:
:lol:

vaultboyoverencmessedwithgreen.jpg
vaultboyoverencmessedwithgreen.jpg (43.56 KiB) Viewed 4270 times

Muirium
µ

17 Mar 2021, 16:12

Takes a special kind of reviewer to hold on to everything he tries… mind, he's come to the right place!

We're all waiting for the great Chyros Keyboard Sale ahead of you. That's the best kind of help there is.

Maybe then you can reward yourself (and us) with that Libertouch. One out: one in!

ddrfraser1

17 Mar 2021, 16:14

I was board (lol) during covid lockdown so I had my own keyboard meetup. Here is some footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyi2VNt ... DrewFraser

derzemel

17 Mar 2021, 20:43

Chyros wrote:
About 350 by now.
and I was feeling proud of my 21 keyboards

Muirium
µ

17 Mar 2021, 20:46

21? That sounds like serious curation. Something to be proud of!

That or you were visited by the Keyburglar.

derzemel

17 Mar 2021, 20:51

Muirium wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 20:46
21? That sounds like serious curation. Something to be proud of!

That or you were visited by the Keyburglar.
nope, I have a wife and she is smarter than me

Muirium
µ

17 Mar 2021, 20:53

Curation then!

Return to “Keyboards”