How many keyboards?

Go-Kart

24 Feb 2021, 14:34

O.K., so imagine you're trying to justify a purchase of another new keyboard to the missus, or explaining why you have the number of keyboards you have to a normie friend who doesn't know how much of a weirdo you are; how many keyboards can you actually justify with "real" reasons?

My take:

1x Daily driver (a lot of functionality/macro keys, etc.)
1x Essay board (when I'm sitting down and strapping in for a long session and I want to enjoy the feel and sound of every keystroke)
1x Gaming (60/65 %, maybe a TKL, light actuation force, backlighting)

Three. That's what I came up with. I mean, I could argue for a second gaming keyboard for a different type of game; one for FPS, one for MMORPG, etc. but my daily driver would cover the latter territory... That was all I could muster.

Can anyone do any better? "Real reasons"?

fohat
Elder Messenger

24 Feb 2021, 14:57

3 categories is entirely acceptable. But then you need an alternate in each category for those times when you need a little change of pace, and also at least one backup for each of your favorites.

You deserve as many keyboards as your wife has pairs of shoes.

shine

24 Feb 2021, 15:36

fohat wrote:
Nice one

shallot

24 Feb 2021, 16:46

I can justify all 26, cause I want them

Touch_It

24 Feb 2021, 16:58

I have 20 give or take. If questioned, just start questioning her on her "silly" spending habits. 60% of the time it works every time.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

24 Feb 2021, 17:29

Last count was over 300. I have about 100 that I can sell, and should really get on that.

Go-Kart

24 Feb 2021, 18:06

:lol:

Maybe I put too much thought into it...

ddrfraser1

24 Feb 2021, 18:24

Yeah, I have over 60 now and I know that's low for a lot of folks here. I'm just lucky to have a wife who accepts me for who I am.

Reimu64

24 Feb 2021, 18:50

There shall be no limit!
It's a hobby for most of us...and it's healthy to have an engaging hobby like this, right guys?

ddrfraser1

24 Feb 2021, 19:24

Reimu64 wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 18:50
There shall be no limit!
It's a hobby for most of us...and it's healthy to have an engaging hobby like this, right guys?
Totally agree. 'Healthy' is the key. For me, as long as I operate within the bounds of a budget and balance time and don't become an obsessed shopaholic who is constantly chasing the next short-lived high or fad, I'm good.

In reality, this hobby has been a wonderful creative outlet that feeds into other hobbies such as electronics, computers, writing and some light gaming. Much better than just sitting in front of Netflix all day. Plus, this is hands down the best community on the internet.

mr_a500

24 Feb 2021, 20:13

fohat wrote:
That is exactly the same argument I used. It works pretty well. Another year, another 10 pair of shoes, another 10 keyboards. It really works great if she wants expensive Italian shoes - therefore, another expensive rare vintage keyboard. It really cuts down on arguments.

Go-Kart

24 Feb 2021, 21:38

I guess I'm just too utilitarian. More a keyboard appreciator than a collector. Though the surprising number of keyboards I have purchased over the past few days says otherwise. My excuse? Being only recently interested in vintage keyboards, they are so different from their contemporary counterparts, I legitimately don't know what I like yet ...it only makes sense that I have to sample what's out there, right!?

Also, this seems pertinent. I've only been on this forum for a week and it seems a good, engaging community.
ddrfraser1 wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 19:24
Plus, this is hands down the best community on the internet.

micmil

24 Feb 2021, 21:41

"I'm a grown-ass adult and can have however many of whatever I want. Also *click*click*click*click*click*click*click*click*click*click*click*click*click*click*click*click*click*click*"

That's my typical response, except the clicking never ends and they just back away slowly. I've now been banned from nine community pools.

mr_a500

24 Feb 2021, 22:20

Go-Kart wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 21:38
I guess I'm just too utilitarian. More a keyboard appreciator than a collector. Though the surprising number of keyboards I have purchased over the past few days says otherwise. My excuse? Being only recently interested in vintage keyboards, they are so different from their contemporary counterparts, I legitimately don't know what I like yet ...it only makes sense that I have to sample what's out there, right!?

Also, this seems pertinent. I've only been on this forum for a week and it seems a good, engaging community.
A week?? Oh, young grasshopper, you have much to learn.

I've been appreciating computer keyboards for over 40 years - since back when "vintage" keyboards were "the latest technology".

I think I've mostly made up my mind about the best keyboards, and own nearly everything, but I'm still looking...

ddrfraser1

24 Feb 2021, 22:38

I would argue more doesn’t necessarily mean better. If you have a small handful of keyboards that you love, great. You are probably happier than the rest of us 😂 but good luck not buying more 😁

micmil

25 Feb 2021, 04:15

ddrfraser1 wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 22:38
I would argue more doesn’t necessarily mean better. If you have a small handful of keyboards that you love, great. You are probably happier than the rest of us 😂 but good luck not buying more 😁
I luckily hit that point with guitars. Now I have all this extra money for keyboards laying around... :lol:

kbdfr
The Tiproman

25 Feb 2021, 08:41

fohat wrote:
[…] You deserve as many keyboards as your wife has pairs of shoes.
On the other hand, this would mean she deserves as many pairs of shoes as I have keyboards :mrgreen:

Which, well, of course she does.
I usually tease her when she considers buying new shoes, while she never said anything about me buying keyboards.

Go-Kart

25 Feb 2021, 08:50

Well, since I'm in good company, there is something that I'm still missing... I don't yet own and haven't even had the pleasure of trying a vintage linear keyboard of any description. If anyone has anything they'd think I'd be interested in, feel free to PM me.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

25 Feb 2021, 08:53

kbdfr wrote:
On the other hand, this would mean she deserves as many pairs of shoes as I have keyboards :mrgreen:

No please :(
Spoiler:

Scarpia

25 Feb 2021, 09:04

My number is around 10; I have two daily drivers that live on my home office desk 24/7.

Then there’s the ofice at work, which of course hasn’t existed for a year due to the pandy, but that’s another keyboard or maybe two, if we assume I’ll be rotating between two boards there as well.

I don’t game except on console, so I have no need for rgb-on-black linear bullclack, rather I rotate because click-click-click-click-thock-thock-clack-clack-clack!!!

So that’s four that I can defend because they’re actually in use.

Also one more which I’m saving for a future restomod of a Mac Classic II. So that’s five.

The rest are boards that aren’t converted, or ones that I plan to have on display once we remodel our home office. Beyond the ten I have maybe half a dozen that I’m going to sell, not because I need money or because I don’t enjoy them, but because I don’t see any point in the near future when I’ll be able to have them on display or in rotation.

Our house is not big enough that I can spare the room for a twenty-keyboard display, and frankly I feel bad for stuffing nice keyboards into cardboard moving boxes in the cellar for years with no end in sight. So I’ve imposed an arbitrary limit on myself of 10, because I will be able to put that number on display.

mcmaxmcmc

25 Feb 2021, 09:56

I think I might've gone three digits now, counting "partial boards" saved up for projects, but not counting the donor boards. For me, the limit's at how much I can store comfortably in my room... My shelf is already at its brim, and I'll be getting a few more keyboards in a few days. Gotta have to be creative now... :D

sharktastica

25 Feb 2021, 13:08

I have around 60 odd keyboards. If someone close asks, I try taking a reasonable approach by explaining that I'm enthusiastic about subject and how having a lot of keyboards to rotate with making my coding and writing experience just that little bit more interesting.

If they're a 'normie' friend, I just explain it's not really any different than collecting ornaments or whatnot, but because I like tech, this collection is of a tech nature. Perhaps, I might refer to other hands-on hobbies like assembling/restoring models as a point of reference since I had to restore a few of my older keyboards anyway.

And, if the person is just some jack-ass looking to put me down... Go on the offensive against Funko Pops? lol. Most people I know have them, and so you can just say "why do people collect a bunch of wasteful plastic when the item itself barely resembles the character it's trying to represent.", and more often than not, both sides laugh it off and they hush down. I don't like this option since I want to be respectful to anyone's (savoury) collections, but it's an effective strategy.

Muirium
µ

25 Feb 2021, 13:22

Is "I prefer not to think about it" a valid answer?

See, I've the boards I use, and then… ow, no, don't even, gah, it burns!

kbdfr
The Tiproman

25 Feb 2021, 15:36

Wodan wrote:
[…]
I appreciate like the quotation marks in your pic :lol:
Spoiler:
Wodan’s keebs.jpg
Wodan’s keebs.jpg (158.76 KiB) Viewed 6257 times

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

25 Feb 2021, 16:26

So, with enough boards, I got to a point where I started getting philosophical about my collection. What are my goals? What do I need?

I mentioned I have about 100 boards to get rid of. That's just deduplication, mostly. I don't need 22 examples of the Model M 1391401. At most I "need" one from each major revision to demonstrate the differences.

I like to have enough boards to be able to tell stories at various keyboard meetups. A common one is exploring how a switch evolved over time, or how layouts have evolved. Another is to do some sort of design study with different case materials.

This is all sort of moot right now since we're all stuck at home. In theory, if I were to set up a YouTube channel or similar and do a really good job of documenting, I could have fewer keyboards. There would be a sort of keyboard pipeline: board comes in, board gets photography and video, review gets posted, board goes out.

TNT

25 Feb 2021, 16:42

Wodan wrote:
kbdfr wrote:

No please :(
Spoiler:
That picture is funny and concerning at the same time :mrgreen:

I think of it that way: First of all, you shouldn't have to justify why you pursue a certain hobby. That's such a subjective thing it's kinda pointless to argue about ('de gustibus non est disputandum'). Of course, it might seem irrational to somebody else why one would need that many keyboards. But that goes for many things. I for example still can't understand why somebody would spend half of their life hoarding rare shapes of potatoe chips.

If you want to explain to someone the appeal of collecting vintage boards, just tell them why you personally like it. I have a friend who collects anime figurines (he more or less accepts or understands my quirk better than my other friends :D ) and shark already mentioned Funko Pops. Same thing really, more or less pretty pieces of plastic, except we have the benefit of being able to use our pieces of plastic in a "meaningful" way. Like a stamp collection but not just pretty/interesting to look at. Then there's the connection to electronics, computers, coding, and for me also "vintage" industrial design of that early computing era. Liking to spice up your interactions with your PC, enjoying the sound and feel of different switches and housings, wanting to explore and maybe preserve computing history ... There are many reasons why someone could get into this hobby.

I think a keyboard enthusiast is similar to someone who owns a big wine cellar with lots of expensive wines. A guy like this already knows what wine will complement his Sunday lunch best and he takes a whole lot of care in preserving and treating his collection. When it's time he steps in front of his shelf, takes out the carefully selected bottle, and celebrates the experience until the very end.

I imagine Thomas acting the same way: He steps in front of his keyboard rack, an ominous Tolkien-inspired cocktail in hand. "Mhh, which board will I have today to add more enjoyment to my Escape from Tarkov experience?" (trust me, he talks like this) "My yeees, my 1975 Decision Data 8010 with Honeywell dual magnet Hall effect switches should do the job." :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Then again, I'm more of a keyboard "appreciator" than a collector as I usually sell boards I don't use/don't like that much anymore.
And I guess it's an entirely different kind of challenge when you have to explain it to your significant other :lol:

ollir

25 Feb 2021, 20:25

TNT wrote:

I think a keyboard enthusiast is similar to someone who owns a big wine cellar with lots of expensive wines. A guy like this already knows what wine will complement his Sunday lunch best and he takes a whole lot of care in preserving and treating his collection. When it's time he steps in front of his shelf, takes out the carefully selected bottle, and celebrates the experience until the very end.
I think you just pretty nicely described the rituals of my remote working days (which is every day at the moment, because of things).

I just smell the air and feel out the morning vibes, reflecting a bit the work to be done today and then I choose the device of delivery.

Go-Kart

25 Feb 2021, 22:20

Well guys, you've convinced me, bravo. I told myself that I was just going to buy a few, see what I liked, and move the others on but yeh, my shelves may not be so bare in six months time :lol:

Also, this tickled me:
TNT wrote:

I imagine Thomas acting the same way: He steps in front of his keyboard rack, an ominous Tolkien-inspired cocktail in hand. "Mhh, which board will I have today to add more enjoyment to my Escape from Tarkov experience?" (trust me, he talks like this) "My yeees, my 1975 Decision Data 8010 with Honeywell dual magnet Hall effect switches should do the job." :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

AgentOrange96

28 Feb 2021, 21:50

Okay, so I'll skip keyboards built into laptops or my Commodore:

1. My WASD V2, this is my regular go-to keyboard. It's nice but not obnoxiously loud (MX Browns)
2. My WASD V3, this is my work keyboard for in the lab. So far so good.
3. USB Thinkpad Keyboard, this is used for my music creation PC, which is a ThinkCentre, so it matches.
4. Wooting One, this is going to be used for my gaming PC once Ryzen 5000 and Radeon 6000 stop being stupid expensive
5. IBM Model F XT, this is the ONLY keyboard for my IBM XT, and the one if came with
6. IBM Model M, now we get into less justifiable territory. But this was in the family, and it's kind of the gold standard, and I got it for free.
7. Model F Labs F77... It's the platinum standard? Yeah, IDK how to justify this one since I paid a lot for it. To be fair it'll be around forever?
8. Rii mini i8+, this I originally got when using my Raspberry Pi as a media computer. But nowadays I just use it when I'm lazy and don't want to sit properly at my desk during Teams meetings or whatever.

ddrfraser1

01 Mar 2021, 05:37

Noice. I’d say the commodore counts

Return to “Keyboards”