Walking the street, what do I see - an old Model M, staring back at me

Bjerrk

04 Mar 2021, 19:18

The other morning, I was talking an early stroll around the neighbourhood, as I often do during this pandemic.

Apparently, this was the day you put out all sorts of bulky trash.

Not really paying attention, I suddenly came across this treasure:

... but, even more importantly, this thing was lying in the street, staring at me:

I felt an adrenaline surge - better grab it fast! And sure enough, a minute after picking it up, the garbage truck rolled around the corner:

I took the keyboard home, and I'll be damned, it worked perfectly! Feels just like it should!

I got it cleaned up:

It even still had its model sticker and turned out to be a 1987 model:

It is identical to one I recently came across in the classifieds, at an asking price of 1250DKK (~ 200USD). These things are expensive over here!

Goes to show, getting a bit of fresh air is good for something.

depletedvespene

04 Mar 2021, 20:25

Congratulations! Rescued Model M keyboards do hold a special place in one's hobbyist heart. Now enjoy it for the decades to come. :D

Palatino

04 Mar 2021, 20:31

Nice! It reminds me of that post on reddit somewhere where someone newly into keyboards finds a new-in-box blue alps board in a thrift shop on his first search. One day I hope to join the ranks of the lucky.

Muirium
µ

04 Mar 2021, 21:33

I exercise every day. Haven’t once seen a keyboard worth nabbing, just lying outside, in all my years. You lucky git! :lol:

Mind, my first mech was an XT my old man had in his garage from goodness knows back when, so I shouldn’t complain too much.

viewtopic.php?p=117273#p117273

dcopellino

04 Mar 2021, 23:42

Wow, your post reminded me of karlmartin95 finding on the other side of the world.
https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22176
I won't see landfills/piles of garbage at the same manner from now on, I swear, even though the best I can hope to find in my area may be an old Olivetti keeb....

Rayndalf

05 Mar 2021, 01:24

Nice find. I guess you'll spend the rest of your life wondering if you'd have seen it if you weren't aware of what it was :twisted:

I'm always amazed what people throw away and what other people try to sell.

I've found I have to buy all my garbage (yellowed old keyboards, old test equipment), but I have found some real treasures (Scarlett 18i20 rackmount audio interface and a mechanical Remington Rand typewriter) by the local dumpster.

Guess I shouldn't complain, it saved me the indignity of buying a more compact audio interface :D

micmil

05 Mar 2021, 02:14

I have to call BS on this... not the story, just the fact it doesn't happen to me. :D

Tristor

05 Mar 2021, 04:59

Very nice find, congrats on the new-to-you board :)

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

05 Mar 2021, 05:26

Hooray, congrats!

Jacobalbertus1

05 Mar 2021, 05:29

Muirium wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 21:33
I exercise every day. Haven’t once seen a keyboard worth nabbing, just lying outside, in all my years. You lucky git! :lol:

Mind, my first mech was an XT my old man had in his garage from goodness knows back when, so I shouldn’t complain too much.

viewtopic.php?p=117273#p117273
DUDE SAME we in the same boat I got an f xt first in box from a neighbor.

Bjerrk

05 Mar 2021, 08:58

dcopellino wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 23:42
Wow, your post reminded me of karlmartin95 finding on the other side of the world.
https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22176
I won't see landfills/piles of garbage at the same manner from now on, I swear, even though the best I can hope to find in my area may be an old Olivetti keeb....
Ah, thanks, man! That was heartwarming :D

Reshala

16 Mar 2021, 23:17

I will use this thread as a reminder to exercise more lmao

Return to “Keyboards”