Unicomp Mini M / New Model M Tenkeyless

Tahoma

25 Mar 2021, 00:19

I have three Model M keyboards from Unicomp; an 'old' classic 101 (2010, which I am using now) and two 'old' ultra classic 104-key (2015 & 2016). I like them, a lot. I'm considering buying a 122 key from them if my work on a IBM-made 122 key Model M doesn't work out.

Chyros

26 Mar 2021, 10:30

Bit late to this discussion I see; it does look good in black, I think. Here's a picture I posted on Twitter a while ago:

Muirium
µ

26 Mar 2021, 10:33

If it actually looked like that, even I'd be sore tempted to get one…

ddrfraser1

26 Mar 2021, 12:58

Unicomp needs to bring back black key caps

Thorogrimm

26 Mar 2021, 14:35

I bit the bullet and got myself a New Model M, which came today. I'm super happy with it, albeit being a bit louder than most boards I'm used to and the lock lights being blindingly bright. Types like butter though. Image

Thorogrimm

26 Mar 2021, 14:37

Chyros wrote:
26 Mar 2021, 10:30
Bit late to this discussion I see; it does look good in black, I think. Here's a picture I posted on Twitter a while ago:

Damn, I'd love to get my hands on some black key caps in future if anywhere produces them still.

Bjerrk

26 Mar 2021, 14:53

Thorogrimm wrote:
Types like butter though.
I don't get it.

Thorogrimm

26 Mar 2021, 15:20

Bjerrk wrote:
26 Mar 2021, 14:53
Thorogrimm wrote:
Types like butter though.
I don't get it.

Palatino

26 Mar 2021, 23:20

Thorogrimm wrote:
I bit the bullet and got myself a New Model M, which came today. I'm super happy with it, albeit being a bit louder than most boards I'm used to and the lock lights being blindingly bright. Types like butter though. Image
Nice. I got one of these too, the classic beige rather than the black, and although quality control isn't perhaps up to original standard (one of the keys on the numpad will only register if pressed firmly on the top edge) I'd say the keyfeel is as good as ever - in fact, as it's a new board, it actually feels smoother and lighter than a couple of my second-hand, heavily used original Model Ms. I know some people will mention weight and thickness of steel backplates, but sometimes you actually want something you can move easily from room to room or chuck in a bag, rather than a potential murder weapon à la Chyros videos (not suggesting he's a murderer. Not worth the risk - I bet you get lousy rubber domes in prison, or zero computer access so you're left tapping madly on your cell wall day after day until your fingernails forge some bloody inverted key-domes into the brick.)
Last edited by Palatino on 26 Mar 2021, 23:30, edited 1 time in total.

Thorogrimm

26 Mar 2021, 23:27

Nice. I got one of these too, the classic beige rather than the black, and although quality control isn't perhaps up to original standard (one of the keys on the numpad will only register if pressed firmly on the top edge) I'd say the keyfeel is as good as ever - in fact, as it's a new board, it actually feels smoother and lighter than a couple of my second-hand, heavily used original Model Ms.
All the keys seem functionally sound on my model, but the lock light sticker came a bit askew from the edge which you can vaguely make out in the picture. I managed to fix that by rubbing it with a cue-tip around the edge so it slid in the border a bit better.

Finners

29 Mar 2021, 20:46

Without owning any Model M or F, would you recommend this Unicomp over a used vintage IBM? Not for nostalgia, only for feel and use

Weezer

29 Mar 2021, 21:29

I like that their kerning is improving.

I'm glad they're putting out new products that will keep them afloat into the 2020's

I am glad they left off their god awful logo from the keyboard

I wish they would have adjusted the size of the windows, alt, etc keys on the righthand side to be less awkwardly sized, but I'm glad they are in the right order this time.

I wish they would have moved the lock lights to a less awkward spot further to the right. Even dead center in the keyboard would be less awkward then where they are now.

Palatino

29 Mar 2021, 22:44

Finners wrote:
Without owning any Model M or F, would you recommend this Unicomp over a used vintage IBM? Not for nostalgia, only for feel and use
I'd go for a new Unicomp in that case, yes. You don't need to hunt around, it'll be clean and fully working, it may well be cheaper, and the feel is pretty much the same i.e. great. As you've never tried buckling springs before, that will be the biggest difference over any of your other keyboards. The modern cases are more lightweight than vintage ones, but not at all flimsy. The appearance is a bit different and not everyone's cup of tea, but they have a range of styles. I would say that while typing on one is a lot of fun, it does reduce my speed a bit, compared to say basic linear red switches, but speed isn't everything!

Palatino

29 Mar 2021, 22:47

Oh, and if you meant specifically the new Mini M versus the original Space Saver, then definitely the newer, as it's almost a third of the price.

Finners

30 Mar 2021, 00:57

Palatino wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 22:44
Finners wrote:
I'd go for a new Unicomp in that case, yes. You don't need to hunt around, it'll be clean and fully working, it may well be cheaper, and the feel is pretty much the same i.e. great. As you've never tried buckling springs before, that will be the biggest difference over any of your other keyboards. The modern cases are more lightweight than vintage ones, but not at all flimsy. The appearance is a bit different and not everyone's cup of tea, but they have a range of styles. I would say that while typing on one is a lot of fun, it does reduce my speed a bit, compared to say basic linear red switches, but speed isn't everything!
And just to add another level to it, how about a new F77 over a Unicomp? Worth the extra $ to most tastes? Again, key feel is the only thing important, and I already know I like click and tactility so I really do think either a new F or a new M are a good idea.

ddrfraser1

30 Mar 2021, 01:37

I agree. But unfortunately that’s not their business model/market.

Edit: imagine a world where someone made ‘Brand New Beamspring Keyboards’ 🤩

Return to “Keyboards”