Split kb controlllers?(srry for not being a vintage question)

A_Person

24 Mar 2021, 15:24

I know that this isn't about vintage kbs, but I had a question about split keyboards. When handwiring split kbs, do you need 2 microcontrollers? If not, how would you go about wiring it with one? Here is my layout for reference:

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/# ... 29da37af64

Muirium
µ

24 Mar 2021, 15:50

We're not *only* vintage, just *mostly*…

Split keyboards tend to (always?) have just one controller. The two halves are typically (always?) wired, using a TRRS cable. Here's a good one:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21368&p=440685&hilit=trrs#p440685

I'm not into split keyboards myself, but several folk here are. If it were me, I'd demand wireless. (And not get it… :lol: )

Edit: That keyboard does in fact have 2 controllers. Fancy!

A_Person

24 Mar 2021, 16:01

The reason I asked bc over on geekhack someone told me that most split kbs have 2, but I looked at some handwired builds that were split and a lot of them had one. I'll def check out that thread.

A_Person

24 Mar 2021, 16:04

Also, as a side note, what microcontroller does anyone recommend?

A_Person

24 Mar 2021, 16:05

And I saw another post where someone observed that you name is the same backwards as it is front. Cool!

Muirium
µ

24 Mar 2021, 17:11

Symmetry is a thing for me for thing a is symmetry.

Anyway, the controllers people tend to use for everything in keyboards is the Teensy / Arduino Pro Micro / 8 bit ATmega boards. They’re small, cheap (Pro Micro is $5 I hear), have native USB on board and the software is already written.

Findecanor

24 Mar 2021, 17:12

I think you got adequate answers over on Geekhack. Why the need to post here as well?

A_Person

24 Mar 2021, 17:19

I posted here first. But thanks!

kelvinhall05

24 Mar 2021, 21:46

Any keyboard that is split and connected with a TRRS cable has one controller on each half, almost always a pair of Pro Micros.

Muirium
µ

24 Mar 2021, 22:16

Makes sense. It must be a serial connection with so few pins. (I’d imagined multiplexing but I was wrong.) What sort of firmware are these running? And are you free to pick either one to plug into your computer?

kelvinhall05

24 Mar 2021, 23:32

Muirium wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 22:16
Makes sense. It must be a serial connection with so few pins. (I’d imagined multiplexing but I was wrong.) What sort of firmware are these running? And are you free to pick either one to plug into your computer?
QMK and yes you can pick either side to plug in

Muirium
µ

24 Mar 2021, 23:37

Neat!

vvp

25 Mar 2021, 15:47

• two controllers - most expensive and most firmware work (if it is not already supported but it probably is already supported); only 4 wires
  • one controller and one IO expander - probably the best option; only 4 wires
  • one controller and two shift registers - the most easy and cheapest but needs 6 wires
There is some discussion about it here as well: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=111913.0
And there are many other options, but the 3 above are the most reasonable.

Findecanor

25 Mar 2021, 16:46

A_Person wrote:
No, you posted here yesterday, and on Geekhack on Monday. That's the same link to Keyboard Layout Editor.

And that's twice that you have tried to make me look like a fool.
First, I had given you an elaborate answer on Geekhack specifically for another layout you posted. Then you changed the layout, but didn't mention it, leaving my post dry.
Second, you claim that you posted here first, which you obviously didn't.

And this is not the first time that you're acting like a total asshole on this forum.

vvp

25 Mar 2021, 16:58

Ach, "A_Person" is the same as "Me". I did not know. Only a kid according to Nevin.
Thanks for info Findecanor.

kelvinhall05

25 Mar 2021, 21:58

Findecanor wrote:
A_Person wrote:
No, you posted here yesterday, and on Geekhack on Monday. That's the same link to Keyboard Layout Editor.

First, I had given you an elaborate answer on Geekhack specifically for another layout you posted. Then you changed the layout, but didn't mention it, leaving my post dry.

And this is not the first time that you're acting like a total asshole on this forum.
Stop freaking out over some dude asking a question on a forum, completely normal to ask in multiple places at the same time when doing research, you're making a fool of yourself.

Bjerrk

26 Mar 2021, 06:52

kelvinhall05 wrote:
25 Mar 2021, 21:58
Findecanor wrote:
A_Person wrote:

Stop freaking out over some dude asking a question on a forum, completely normal to ask in multiple places at the same time when doing research, you're making a fool of yourself.
Stop freaking out over some dude complaining about some dude asking a que.... Wait a minute...!

Bjerrk

26 Mar 2021, 06:58

As for the question about hand-wiring, I believe you have all your answers if you read matt3o's excellent hand-wiring guide (thanks, man!) as well as the QMK documentation pages on hand-wiring and split keyboards.

A_Person

01 Apr 2021, 19:08

Fincandor, I am really sorry if I offended you in any way. I was not trying to. I am just a kid that has questions, and I might be a bit blunt sometimes, im srry for that. But please don't take any offense from what I say, I just ask questions, and respond with more questions about the answers that I get until I get answers that fill my questions(i am saying this bc I understand that people don't have the exact answers that I am looking for, so I just average them out and ask more questions). I'm only 13 so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

A_Person

01 Apr 2021, 19:12

Also, on geekhack I had questions about split kbs in general, and then I got 2 choices. 1 controller, or 2. I then asked a separate question here specifically about the controllers, and then after that asked the same thing on geekhack. Also, I did notify people on geekhack that I changed my layout. In my opinion, when you get info that will make what you are doing better, and you haven't made any big decisions yet, you should change it! But anyway, that was just to clarify the timeline.

A_Person

01 Apr 2021, 19:29

And lastly, just for further reference, I will take all criticism and praise from everyone. I do not get offended easily, so if you have something to say, say it.

Return to “Keyboards”