Keyboard packaging

Thorogrimm

26 Mar 2021, 05:15

I'm looking for some appropriate packaging boxes for full size keyboards to store. Does anyone know what the best options are? I've had a look on Ebay and Amazon, and I've not luck finding any with the size that I need.

TheInverseKey

26 Mar 2021, 06:02

Either USPS or some from U-Line.

Rayndalf

26 Mar 2021, 06:07

I get all my boxes from past amazon or keyboard purchases. Don't be afraid to steal a cardboard box out of a local dumpster and cut it down to a smaller size.

Palatino

26 Mar 2021, 11:32

This same issue has been on my mind for months. When I can, I reuse boxes that keyboards have arrived in, but often they're too big once I've removed the bubble wrap, or they're not robust enough to take another box sitting on top. There was a thread I found with a link to some suitable ones which I'll try and find, though it was US only I think. I can't find any new boxes of the perfect size in the UK, and I've tried ebay, various online retailers, B&Q and other DIY and hobby shops, but nothing's perfect. I've started checking the top shelves of supermarkets now as most products come in biggish cardboard boxes. Most are too short or tall, but this baby formula one is made of strong cardboard and good for two small-bezelled boards with a bit of bubble-wrap between them!
Spoiler:
IMG_20210326_102829.jpg
IMG_20210326_102829.jpg (4.17 MiB) Viewed 2559 times

Thorogrimm

26 Mar 2021, 12:25

Palatino wrote:
26 Mar 2021, 11:32
This same issue has been on my mind for months. When I can, I reuse boxes that keyboards have arrived in, but often they're too big once I've removed the bubble wrap, or they're not robust enough to take another box sitting on top. There was a thread I found with a link to some suitable ones which I'll try and find, though it was US only I think. I can't find any new boxes of the perfect size in the UK, and I've tried ebay, various online retailers, B&Q and other DIY and hobby shops, but nothing's perfect. I've started checking the top shelves of supermarkets now as most products come in biggish cardboard boxes. Most are too short or tall, but this baby formula one is made of strong cardboard and good for two small-bezelled boards with a bit of bubble-wrap between them!
Spoiler:
IMG_20210326_102829.jpg
That looks promising. Usually i have just reused old boxes that either other keyboards came in or random boxes from other parcels that I've made do with. Right now I've got a bunch of keyboards on a shelf stacked on top of each other (which isn't ideal :D ). I might try cutting some down to size to see if I can get a suitable fit, but of course it doesn't beat having a proper box which is made for keyboard storage. I'll update on what I find.

clickykeyboards

26 Mar 2021, 15:00

Uline sells good keyboard boxes.

I use them for archival storage of IBM Model M keyboards and they are relatively compact and efficient.

..but would recommend them for STORAGE and not SHIPPING because of the dimensions are a little too close and does not allow for sufficient side protection when shipping 6-pound keyboards either domestically or internationally.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S- ... oard-Boxes
S-6496. 19 1⁄8 x 9 1⁄8 x 2 3⁄16" Keyboard Boxes

Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 9.56.17 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 9.56.17 AM.png (137.22 KiB) Viewed 2520 times
IMG_1968.JPG
IMG_1968.JPG (4.26 MiB) Viewed 2520 times
IMG_1967.JPG
IMG_1967.JPG (2.66 MiB) Viewed 2520 times
IMG_1965.JPG
IMG_1965.JPG (3.59 MiB) Viewed 2520 times
IMG_1964.jpg
IMG_1964.jpg (2.95 MiB) Viewed 2520 times

Palatino

26 Mar 2021, 22:48

Yikes, those are all Model Ms in that cupboard! I have 6 and I thought that was a bit ridiculous, but that's about 25 - and they are only the ones we can see! Thanks for demonstrating the box dimensions: most of the boxes I've saved/pilfered won't hold Model Ms, AT101s etc.

Thorogrimm

26 Mar 2021, 22:55

clickykeyboards wrote:
26 Mar 2021, 15:00
Uline sells good keyboard boxes.

I use them for archival storage of IBM Model M keyboards and they are relatively compact and efficient.

..but would recommend them for STORAGE and not SHIPPING because of the dimensions are a little too close and does not allow for sufficient side protection when shipping 6-pound keyboards either domestically or internationally.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S- ... oard-Boxes
S-6496. 19 1⁄8 x 9 1⁄8 x 2 3⁄16" Keyboard Boxes

Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 9.56.17 AM.png

IMG_1968.JPG

IMG_1967.JPG

IMG_1965.JPG

IMG_1964.jpg
Oh sick! I hope the shipping won't cost too much though, cause I'd be having them sent to the UK

Palatino

26 Mar 2021, 23:15

On their shipping estimate tool, you can only enter US zip codes. I haven't tried going to checkout and entering a UK address, but I have emailed them with a query about UK shipping, or if they know of a European/UK based supplier.

TNT

26 Mar 2021, 23:43

I've bought a whole bunch of em from a generic supplier for cardboard boxes and logistics equipment. The ones with the lid on top were sold out, unfortunately. I'd definitely recommend those, because "sideloaders" are a bit of a hassle tbh. Because you had to buy a minimum amount before you could even go to checkout, I still have around 25 of them stashed away on my wardrobe :D

Maybe I went a little overboard. That, or I do not have enough keyboards...

Together with the boxes, I bought a bunch of bubblewrap-bags, which are quite useful as cushioning. On my most precious boards, I added additional cut-to-size foam pads.

Please excuse my mess, my floor needs some mopping.
IMG_20210326_233857.jpg
IMG_20210326_233857.jpg (616.64 KiB) Viewed 2445 times

Palatino

27 Mar 2021, 00:05

Nice. Do you have the details of that company at all? Or would you be willing to sell some of those 25 (though I appreciate the significance of the decision: a turning point between amassing and shedding!)

U-line looks like a dead end for non US buyers - too much red tape and expense to be worth it. Here's their reply to my query:
Spoiler:
Uline does not ship internationally at this time.

Option 1: Ship to a US Freight Forwarder.

You will receive a US invoice.
Pick up/collection at Uline locations is not available.
Your company is responsible for providing address for US freight forwarder.
Your company is responsible for arranging delivery to the final destination with the freight forwarder.
Export paperwork is not provided. It must be provided by your freight forwarder.

Option 2: Ship to your facility in the US from one of our local warehouses.
You will be invoiced in US Dollars.
Your company is responsible for exporting to the final destination.

Payment:
Pre-payment by Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) is required for all orders billing outside the US.
Proforma Invoice is provided upon receipt of required information.

Required Information for Orders:
Company Name
Billing Address
US Shipping Address

micmil

27 Mar 2021, 00:21

Palatino wrote:
Yikes, those are all Model Ms in that cupboard! I have 6 and I thought that was a bit ridiculous, but that's about 25 - and they are only the ones we can see! Thanks for demonstrating the box dimensions: most of the boxes I've saved/pilfered won't hold Model Ms, AT101s etc.
It's literally their business. :D

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

27 Mar 2021, 00:48

The ubiquitous keyboard shipping boxes can be had cheaper by Googling around for the dimensions.

I use them for Model Ms, those are the largest board these boxes can fit. Push the board as far as it will go to the “hinge” of the box and put the cable in “front” for best fitment.

These boxes are fine for shipping lighter keyboards, up to a Model M2, if the rest of the volume is filled with bubble wrap or packing peanuts. For anything heavier I would double box. 20x12x3 is the minimum outer box dimension.

thefarside

27 Mar 2021, 02:25

I’ve been able to get free keyboard boxes from my local IT department that we’re getting recycled. The only problem with that is most desktop keyboards are thin and come is small boxes.

Palatino

27 Mar 2021, 10:41

micmil wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 00:21
Palatino wrote:
It's literally their business. :D
Ah, I see. Makes more sense now - though my assumption of compulsive collector given the membership here was fair!

Thorogrimm

04 Apr 2021, 18:59

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

04 Apr 2021, 20:12

These are nearly identical to the ULine keyboard box but cheaper.
https://www.esupplystore.com/19-18-x-9- ... _3112.html

The price has slowly gone up. I paid $44.00 for a bundle of fifty in 2016.

This exact discussion has come up before, here's the last version of this thread that I was on :P

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14310&start=#p322528

Return to “Keyboards”