Should I lube my model f stabs?

dogskipper

26 Mar 2021, 09:38

I recently purchased and received a model f labs f77 which I've been using for around a month. I know this is sacrilege, but I'm contemplating lubing the stabs because the only thing I dislike about it is the slight grainy feel before I actuate the enter, shift, caps lock, and tab keys. I've found that this is present at least in model Ms I've tried before, so I assume it's normal in Fs as well, but over time I'm starting to dislike it slightly (although not so much that I'd prefer to use a different keyboard). I don't care about the ping sounds, just the slight graininess which I assume is from stabiliser friction. Has anyone had much success lubing only the stabs?

ddrfraser1

26 Mar 2021, 09:50

I’ve never felt this grainy feeling on the stabs. I assume they are thoroughly cleaned. It may be a good idea to just get some new ones from unicomp. I wouldn’t recommend it certainly on an M as any kind of moisture is bad for the membrane. I probably wouldn’t do it on the F either but I’m not sure. What do you mean about the caps lock and tab keys? They don’t have stabilizers

Bjerrk

26 Mar 2021, 10:05

I actually find the keys to be very well-stabilized and smooth on the new F77. I even just got it out to get a good feel (that came out oddly), and I can't say there's any graininess.

That said, I have previously lubed stabilizers on a (Unicomp) Model M. I found that at took an absolutely tiny amount of grease. Applying it, and then wiping off most of it seemed to have a beneficial effect. But it was fairly good in the first place, to be fair.

Muirium
µ

26 Mar 2021, 10:18

What's the preferred grease for stabs, anyways? My HHKB could really use a spot after so much use.
ddrfraser1 wrote:
26 Mar 2021, 09:50
What do you mean about the caps lock and tab keys? They don’t have stabilizers
True! Only keys 2 units and larger have stabs. Backspace, Right Shift, Return, Left Shift (if ANSI) and Spacebar on an F77.

If other keys are feeling a bit off, it's a manufacturing tolerance thing. Try swapping some caps around and see if the feeling changes.

dogskipper

26 Mar 2021, 11:42

I think this might just be a case where the typing feel is such a tremendous upgrade that I'm starting to notice minor stuff which I didn't notice on just about every other keyboard, despite it being equally or more present. I'm typing away on my other boards for comparison and they have the same grainy feel on the stabilised keys, it's just that I don't notice it so much because they are so mushy.

fohat
Elder Messenger

26 Mar 2021, 15:51

I lube the tabs that hold wires (tiny amount of this https://www.elitekeyboards.com/product- ... ant-w-ptfe and then mostly picked up with a toothpick) but I would not put anything into chimney stabilizers for fear that they would bind due to a suction effect.

Ellipse

14 Apr 2021, 00:02

For some keys that are originally less smooth or bind a bit, I recommend pinching the 2.25U and larger keys about 10-30 times - helps improve smoothness significantly - hold the key stem and stabilizer pole with your thumb and forefinger and squeeze 10-30 times. The pinching and releasing brings the outer key stem "ear" and the stabilizer pole a little closer together - be careful not to pinch too much or the key can break. This quick fix requires no other materials and has worked 100% of the time for me.

micmil

16 Apr 2021, 02:19

It's your keyboard. Do whatever the ass you want. Don't like it? Scrub the lube off. No big deal.

Return to “Keyboards”