Intro+My Keyboards+Advice request from the experienced

Finners

27 Mar 2021, 21:59

Hi all

I am relatively new to the hobby and have a few Keyboards to my name :

A Matias Quiet Pro (daily driver) a Varmillo with linear switches, a topre clone (Abko). Enroute to me in the mail are both a Focus 7000P and a Packard Bell 5130, probably travelling across the Atlantic right now (I’m in Ireland).

I am not a gamer, just love typing on quality keyboards, and most of my typing involves my work. Working from home has really allowed me to open up into the hobby a lot more as I need not worry about disrupting colleagues with clicky switches, although on conference calls it can prove challenging hence I stick with my Matias quiet clicks as my daily driver.

Looking for advice from those of you who are in this hobby many years;

I have been hugely influenced by Chyrosran22 ‘s YT videos, but interested in learning more from other sources as to what are some great keyboards that have not been driven up in price from YT reviews!! (Clearly a buckling spring is missing from my collection)

PS don’t get me wrong on Chyrosran22 ; I find him entertaining and he definitely has been right on the money with recommendations so far (hence my Matias purchase, I would never had tried the board otherwise).

motoko

27 Mar 2021, 22:10

Well, all vintage boards that he gives good reviews to have clearly seen massive price inflation! So the only ones that haven't would be those that aren't so good. Maybe you'd like to try an AEK II M3501 with dampened Alps switches - the price usually keeps stable cause people pay more for M0116s and M0115s, or use push to talk when using your mic. The new Unicomp Mini M is sold at retail, and offers good value, IMO.

Palatino

27 Mar 2021, 23:23

You sound like me from about a year ago. I'm also not a gamer but have always liked a good keyboard, though mainly within laptops, where it's even harder to find a good one. Then I got hooked on Chyros's videos and now have about fifty keyboards! I can't help much as there will be people here who know much more than me, but I would say that it's still possible to get quite a few of the keyboards he's reviewed at decent prices if you're patient and then quick on eBay, if you see what I mean. Also, people selling on here generally charge reasonable prices.

Finners

27 Mar 2021, 23:29

Thanks Guys. @Palatino, what are your top 5 of the 50 you have? Go on!

Go-Kart

27 Mar 2021, 23:59

Welcome, Finners! I've only been into keyboards for a year or so but like you found Chyros' vids, and saw how much more there was to it all. I've only on DT for a few weeks myself but everyone on here is very friendly, but be warned, sharing company with these folk doesn't half accelerate you keyboard collecting :lol:

Palatino

28 Mar 2021, 00:02

Ooh, let me think.. ok, in reverse order for suspense, and using spoilers so you can't see the whole list at once:

5th place
Spoiler:
Epomaker GK68XS with Kailh Cream switches. This is my only hot-swappable keyboard so I like it for trying out different switches, and the cream switches which I just got are my current favourite linear switch, mainly because of their nice deep and loud sound.
4th place
Spoiler:
IBM Model M. The buckling springs feel and sound great, and I got this one untested so for a good price - and fortunately it works fine.
3rd place
Spoiler:
A Silitek keyboard - can't remember the exact model name or number at present - with complicated white Alps switches. The switches must be very free of dust as they feel very smooth and have a good click. Only drawback is the slight rattle on the space bar which I'll try to rectify some day.
2nd place
Spoiler:
Jointly, my Chicony with blue Alps switches, which has unbeatable sound, and good feel, and which is my first and only blue Alps board, which I finally got after several near misses; and my Suntouch Junior (rebranded Monterey K110) which has SMK 2nd gen switches, which feel almost perfect to me - plus I love the mini size.
1st place
Spoiler:
IBM Model F XT with internal Soarers converter. Sounds great (I actually prefer the sound to the Model M although many don't) and feels delicious. Also my most expensive purchase (from another member here). Also my first experience using Soarer's software - after some help from Muirium - which is great fun to play around with.
I'll add some pictures if I get a moment tomorrow. I also have some keyboards for sale which I must get round to documenting and photographing, if you're interested. Hope that's helpful!

Finners

28 Mar 2021, 00:03

Wow, that’s quite a list!1

Finners

28 Mar 2021, 00:05

Go-Kart wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 23:59
Welcome, Finners! I've only been into keyboards for a year or so but like you found Chyros' vids, and saw how much more there was to it all. I've only on DT for a few weeks myself but everyone on here is very friendly, but be warned, sharing company with these folk doesn't half accelerate you keyboard collecting :lol:
I really don’t need any more encouragement, I will be divorced if I continue at this rate

Go-Kart

28 Mar 2021, 00:11

Palatino wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 00:02
[...] I'll add some pictures if I get a moment tomorrow [...]
I would love to see the pics!

Rayndalf

28 Mar 2021, 00:27

As far as things worth trying:

Buckling Spring board of some variety (Model M, Model F, every one I've tried has been good)

An old G80-1800 or a G80-3000. OG doubleshots, good blacks and no plate make for a comfortable typing experience

Older/ more obscure OG Cherry. These boards sometimes have plates, lots of variety, but known switch and keycap quality make these easy to reccomend.

A G80-11800 (Compaq) or G80-11900 trackball or trackpad respectively, some 11900s have doubleshots. Cheaper than a 1800 and definitely worth a look.

Taiwainese Alps or Alps clone boards. Epic in variety, Chicony and other OEMs used whatever switches they had on hand, so no idea what you'll find.

Space invaders. Still cheap for what they are. Great dyesub caps, low wobble linears and clickies that are comparable to Alps or kailh box.

If you think you want to go ortholinear just buy an older Kinesis Advantage. Beats the planck and the ergodox handily if you have room for it.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

28 Mar 2021, 09:42

I have been into keyboards (and on DT) long before Chyros made a career on YouTube.
While I appreciate his dedication to keyboards, I do regret that his opinions seem to have become authoritative.
Such YouTubers are called "influencers" for a reason.

And by the way, like I would expect an influencer giving advice on e.g. guitars to play properly,
I would expect an influencer giving advice on keyboards to type properly.

I'm afraid I won't get much love for such a comment :lol:

Go-Kart

28 Mar 2021, 10:03

kbdfr wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 09:42
Spoiler:
I have been into keyboards (and on DT) long before Chyros made a career on YouTube.
While I appreciate his dedication to keyboards, I do regret that his opinions seem to have become authoritative.
Such YouTubers are called "influencers" for a reason.

And by the way, like I would expect an influencer giving advice on e.g. guitars to play properly,
I would expect an influencer giving advice on keyboards to type properly.
I'm afraid I won't get much love for such a comment :lol:
I think it's a fair enough comment. I'd wager the more people become interested in such a hobby and then gain some experience, such influence on the community based on one subjective opinion should lessen. "Oh, I thought these switches were supposed to be top tier but I prefer XYZ..."

Muirium
µ

28 Mar 2021, 11:45

Rayndalf wrote:
An old G80-1800 or a G80-3000. OG doubleshots, good blacks and no plate make for a comfortable typing experience
Nah. I've a G80-3000 and it's pretty lousy. Too big to be pleasing without a plate. Does look nice when well dressed, though…
Spoiler:

Those caps are worth a lot more than the keyboard. If you think you're bad now, don't even!
Space invaders. Still cheap for what they are. Great dyesub caps, low wobble linears and clickies that are comparable to Alps or kailh box.
Now this one I can wholeheartedly agree with! Black clicky space invaders are awesome sweet. And your influential friend is way ahead of you… :lol:

Rayndalf

28 Mar 2021, 12:45

Muirium wrote:
Rayndalf wrote:
Nah. I've a G80-3000 and it's pretty lousy. Too big to be pleasing without a plate. Does look nice when well dressed, though…
Spoiler:

Those caps are worth a lot more than the keyboard. If you think you're bad now, don't even!
A complete G80-3000 is in $120-150 range these days, a set of OG winkeyless doubleshots is worth $120 to a silly redditor, and the switches are worth another $100 to the right fool.

It feels cynical to view a board that way. I hate it when people kill boards for one part (RIP the 2 QX3s killed everytime someone builds a 60% with Hirose Cherry switches), but it's definitely worth having a G80-1800 or G80-3000. I have exactly 0 3000s and 6 1800s so for all I know I wouldn't like the G80-3000 either, I always assumed they'd feel similar.

G80-11800 and G80-11900 are cheaper and more solid, and some G80-11900 have doubleshot keycaps. If you're willing to proxy stuff from Taobao you can get a nice G80-11900 for $40 (assuming you're ordering other stuff and don't mind waiting a month or two). I can't reccomend it, but I did it and the board is great.

SA keycaps on a Cherry board feels like heresy, but I'd be doing the same if I completed my SA vomit set and didn't fry my GH80-3000 PCB.
Muirium wrote:
Now this one I can wholeheartedly agree with! Black clicky space invaders are awesome sweet. And your influential friend is way ahead of you… :lol:
So that's why all the NMB space invader boards vanished :lol:
I don't watch Chyros, but I've seen what he did to Fujitsu leaf spring boards.
Boards that "should" be cheap based on build quality and production numbers can easily become scarce. The fact that pre 1000 series Cherry boards and oddities like the Marquardt Mini Ergo cost me less than my F XT (or basically any Alps board that isn't junk) is funny.

To anyone new to the hobby, keyboards that where once a bargain keep going up, but a lot of the rarer stuff isn't seeing the same appreciation so go "big". If you want a Space Invader board buy one from another community member for a reasonable price instead of trying to save a $5 on ebay and getting something much worse (theres one on mechmarket for $55 right now), remember that the dome and slider ones look very similar to the mechanical ones.

As far as online shopping, generally Deskthority and Geekhack classifieds have the best prices, but Mechmarket isn't too bad. Ebay is pretty terrible, but you can find deals there too. Don't forget E recycling and industrial surplus websites, but the best deals will be found in trash piles and secondhand stores. My biggest mistake is buying several $35-50 boards on ebay instead of buying one nice board from someone in the community that isn't taking intentionally bad photos. I keep buying junk and project boards, and when all is said and done it costs more than buying complete boards the first time around.

Muirium
µ

28 Mar 2021, 17:29

Rayndalf wrote:
A complete G80-3000 is in $120-150 range these days
Probably not mine…

Its original caps are not quite all that! They’re thin PBT lasered with the oddest legends.

Rayndalf

28 Mar 2021, 23:29

Muirium wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 17:29
Rayndalf wrote:
A complete G80-3000 is in $120-150 range these days
Probably not mine…

Its original caps are not quite all that! They’re thin PBT lasered with the oddest legends.
In that case using SA makes a lot of sense.

For what it's worth those are probably some of the coolest lasered PBT caps out there. I remember reading the thread on those boards years later and regret not being around to buy one.

Muirium
µ

29 Mar 2021, 11:24

Rayndalf wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 23:29
For what it's worth those are probably some of the coolest lasered PBT caps out there. I remember reading the thread on those boards years later and regret not being around to buy one.
If but for the ocean between us, I'd sell you mine. Besides occasional keycap dressup and photoshoot, it's not a keyboard I ever actually use.

Return to “Keyboards”