Is this unremarkable?

Palatino

28 Mar 2021, 12:08

Does anyone have any tips for removing marker pen from a keyboard case? It looks as though it was written on decades ago. Alcohol? (either to rub on the board or comfort myself if it doesn't work) I'd rather something that doesn't alter the colour of the case itself, though this may be too much to ask.
Attachments
IMG_20210328_104115.jpg
IMG_20210328_104115.jpg (969.56 KiB) Viewed 2891 times

Muirium
µ

28 Mar 2021, 12:26

I used disc brake cleaner (an alcohol spray of some sort) and elbow-work with the soft scourer on a sponge to take off some much nastier green from one of my beige boards. In this case it was colour bleed from a sticker that had been there for decades. Something to watch out for is the texture of the surface. A good bit of scrubbing will flatten it down, sooner than you think.

Findecanor

28 Mar 2021, 13:19

Isopropylalcohol might work to some degree and should not affect the plastic.

micmil

28 Mar 2021, 20:27

Soap and water is first. Alcohol is next. If neither work move to something like Goo Gone. Still there? Well... at that point you're likely screwed and whatever it is has entrenched itself in the fine bumps on the surface. Low level very fine abrasive. Whitening type toothpaste, for example. Still there? Go for one of those abrasive cleaning sponges and be gentle.

If at that point it's still not good enough, paint the sombitch and get on with your life.

Weezer

28 Mar 2021, 21:27

You want to use ethanol and a pencil eraser.

Ethanol (ethyl alcohol) can be found in most cheap hand sanitizer and does not evaporate as rapidly as isopropyl alcohol. While the plastic is wet with the ethanol, take a pencil eraser and rub it vigorously. The eraser will get into the pores without damaging the texture.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

29 Mar 2021, 00:56

I'd be really careful with any automotive cleaners. If they have acetone in any substantial quantity, it will ruin your day as you watch your ABS plastics melt into oblivion. Acetone attacks styrene.

Rayndalf

29 Mar 2021, 07:08

I've had good luck with brasso and a bit of scrubbing (assuming soap + water, rubbing alcohol and goo gone all fail). Not sure if it's the grit or the ammonia, but it removes the marks and doesn't damage abs like acetone does. It takes the printing off Legos, so it's absolutely not safe on pad printing.

Palatino

29 Mar 2021, 13:19

Thanks everyone. I'll be making a trip to the supermarket to grab all these different products, and try them in the suggested least-to-most-abrasive order. Results to follow!

Weezer

31 Mar 2021, 00:41

I trust that the pencil eraser will kick ass

motoko

31 Mar 2021, 00:44

Magic Eraser - lightly scrub in warm water - don't go nuts cause it's abrasive

gipetto

01 Apr 2021, 22:40

I'd try real melted butter, not the fake spread kind. I use it to remove tar from my hands.

Weezer

04 Apr 2021, 22:30

I'm working on restoring a Displaywriter system right now, and I remembered this thread. I intentionally marked the keyboard case with a Sharpie, let it dry, and then took pictures of ethanol and an eraser removing it completely. The final picture is after about 3 minutes of work. Posting this here to solidify the efficacy of this method over brake cleaner, brillo pads, magic erasers, butter, etc. Alcohol works very well to dislodge 95% of grime and the eraser works to get into the rough surface without ruining the texture. As you can see even the powder coating of paint wasn't harmed, so it will be completely safe on any type of plastic.

Marked with Sharpie:
30 seconds of work:
Roughly 3 minutes of work:

Riptide666

04 Apr 2021, 23:02

Stunning!
Weezer wrote:
04 Apr 2021, 22:30
I'm working on restoring a Displaywriter system right now, and I remembered this thread. I intentionally marked the keyboard case with a Sharpie, let it dry, and then took pictures of ethanol and an eraser removing it completely. The final picture is after about 3 minutes of work. Posting this here to solidify the efficacy of this method over brake cleaner, brillo pads, magic erasers, butter, etc. Alcohol works very well to dislodge 95% of grime and the eraser works to get into the rough surface without ruining the texture. As you can see even the powder coating of paint wasn't harmed, so it will be completely safe on any type of plastic.

Marked with Sharpie:
30 seconds of work:
Roughly 3 minutes of work:

Muirium
µ

04 Apr 2021, 23:24

You didn’t show us the dirty eraser. ;)

I presume rubbery is good, versus those flaky ones which are a bit stiff. And cleaning ethanol, rather than just booze, right?

Bjerrk

05 Apr 2021, 00:25

You're saying I can stop using Chartreuse now?

Weezer

05 Apr 2021, 19:28

lmao I mean if you want to keep using Chardonnay I'm all for it, but it will have a lower alcohol content. Ethanol and Isopropyl Alcohol have basically the same properties, but the Ethanol doesn't dry as quickly, which allows you to use less. I use hand sanitizer because it comes in a gel and doesn't drip everywhere. The eraser I'm using is just your standard 25 cent wedge thing from the office supply store.
Last edited by Weezer on 05 Apr 2021, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.

raoulduke-esq

05 Apr 2021, 19:36

Thanks for this! Had great success last night using goo gone and an art gum eraser. Sharpie is gone!

Weezer

05 Apr 2021, 20:25

Awesome!

Return to “Keyboards”