Wikipedia Model F article shows modded F AT?

Rayndalf

31 Mar 2021, 00:55

I understand that the Deskthority wiki is the best reference for most keyboard related items (unless of course you're trying to keep track of GMK buys or the newest Durock recolors), but my search engine showed be a rather suspicious picture of a Model F AT. Nothing unusual except that its featured in a Wikipedia article as an original example.
IBM_Model_F_AT.png
IBM_Model_F_AT.png (1.12 MiB) Viewed 1361 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_F_keyboard

As far as I can tell it is a Model F wearing 2 part Model M keycaps. I don't believe they were ever sold "ANSI modded" or QWERTOY, but this example clearly is.

It looks like someone in the article talk page noticed the same thing.

Does anyone have a picture they could submit to replace this atrocity so no one sees it when they search for images of the Model F?

Weezer

31 Mar 2021, 01:04

Atrocity? I prefer the descriptions "charming" or "brimming with character"

Rayndalf

31 Mar 2021, 01:15

Weezer wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 01:04
Atrocity? I prefer the descriptions "charming" or "brimming with character"
I'm sure it's using a Soarer's converter (which is required for the ANSI mod to work?) and is totally functional the way it's set up, but I will never accept left column F keys doing that 2 tone crap.

I guess I'm being petty, but people assume Wikipedia is accurate, and it should be accurate.
If I had an F AT I'd photograph it, but mine will be missing the space bar and probably get ANSI modded too :lol:

As an aside if I have various boards should I add photos of them to the Deskthority Wiki? A lot of my crap is pretty common but I have a few rare pieces.

ddrfraser1

31 Mar 2021, 01:46

It’s a fair point. We should probably have an authentic stock F there

Weezer

31 Mar 2021, 01:55

While we're editing, lets put a note that they are worth $75 USD for our eBay seller friends to read.

Rayndalf

31 Mar 2021, 02:33

Weezer wrote:
While we're editing, lets put a note that they are worth $75 USD for our eBay seller friends to read.
Grey IBM keyboards are typically worth less than white examples because the cases have discolored from extended use in poorly ventilated factories and industrial centers.

SSKs are less desireable than fullsize model Ms because they are smaller and lack the numpad which most vintage computer enthusiasts need to do math stuff
:evilgeek:

I think you're on to something.

Weezer

31 Mar 2021, 02:38

"All warfare is based on deception...The opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself." - Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

31 Mar 2021, 07:37

Rayndalf wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 02:33
Weezer wrote:
Grey IBM keyboards are typically worth less than white examples because the cases have discolored from extended use in poorly ventilated factories and industrial centers.

SSKs are less desireable than fullsize model Ms because they are smaller and lack the numpad which most vintage computer enthusiasts need to do math stuff
:evilgeek:

I think you're on to something.
APL keycap model M and F variants are near worthless, as they have confusing legends that decrease productivity for modern applications.

Muirium
µ

31 Mar 2021, 13:37

I just tried editing the wikipedia page myself, and oh boy now do I remember why I never contribute to DT's Wiki either! That interface… shudder… and all this stuff about licences. I need a drink.

Anyone with wiki chops care to go fix their mistake? I'm getting hives…
Spoiler:

Return to “Keyboards”