access denied - xwhatsit's solenoid driver

PrivateCain

07 Apr 2021, 10:47

I got the new reproduction of F62 with solenoid. Keyboard itself is nice, solenoid is working but it's in default mode.
So I tried to run the utility from
https://static.wongcornall.com/ibm-capsense-usb/

but when I double click the exe file, it just returned:
Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file
I also tried running the file on Run as administrator, cmd(with run as administrator, which also returned "Access Denied").
Nothing worked so far.
I guess it's some kind of directory error, but I'm not sure and even if it is I have no idea how to fix it.
Is there anything I should do to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance

Muirium
µ

07 Apr 2021, 11:40

Try QMK. I think Ellipse is shipping them all with Pandrew's (capsense patched) QMK firmware now, instead of Xwhatsit's. Though my own experience is strictly vintage IBM hardware running this controller.

You could also flash it back to Xwhatsit's firmware if you prefer.

There should be links and info aplenty in Ellipse's documentation.
Last edited by Muirium on 07 Apr 2021, 11:41, edited 1 time in total.

PrivateCain

07 Apr 2021, 11:41

Thanks, I'll try and post the result

PrivateCain

07 Apr 2021, 12:25

turns out both xwhatsit and QMK failed to detect the keyboard (QMK found my XT with Soarer's converter though)

Muirium
µ

07 Apr 2021, 12:41

The controller needs to be in bootloader mode. There should be extensive instructions for this. But I don't have them as I've never bought an Ellipse repro Model F. Only seen people talk of them.

My Xwhatsit controller (whether running Xwhatist or Pandrew's firmware) is invisible to QMK Toolbox until put into bootloader mode. There are several ways to do that.

Here's how I did it with my 2 Model Fs and my Beamspring:

viewtopic.php?p=480228#p480228

PrivateCain

07 Apr 2021, 12:59

So, uh, according to the link I need to short prog or/and reset. Doesn't sounds right to short something but gonna give it a try.

PrivateCain

07 Apr 2021, 13:33

Both shorting prog or/and reset did absolutely nothing. Or I somehow failed to short them. Weird

Muirium
µ

07 Apr 2021, 13:40

It needs to be powered on and connected to the computer at the time. It will exit bootloader upon reconnection.

For what it's worth, I didn't need to open my keyboards to enter bootloader; even though I had Xwhatsit firmware installed on all 3. (Xmit's Mac build of) Pandrew's utility did the trick for me. Saw all the boards just fine and let me boot them with a button.

Oh: one more gotcha. Try another USB port. I found my Dell monitor's hub would block all this, while my Caldigit Thunderbolt hub worked fine.

PrivateCain

07 Apr 2021, 14:10

Yeah, it was connected to PC while shorted via prog & reset. (Not while trying to short only progs, since manual suggested connecting during short)
As far as I tested with my XT, QMK toolbox would immediately detect devices when they're connected, so it means I failed to short them properly.
I guess I'll give up for now and try it another time... Thanks for the help though!

PrivateCain

09 Apr 2021, 03:59

So I figured out how to put the keyboard in bootload mode and successfully flashed my first keymap. But now the keyboard and solenoid sometimes ignores my input or mixes the orders of inputs while typing.(especially solenoid, even when I decrease dwell time) I think the problem is the debounce time, but I'm not sure.

(I have no idea what this means but 2 keys bottom right are lower than average)

the keymap part of keymap.c file. I used QMK MSYS to make and flash keymap.

flashing hex file from https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/wp-cont ... rmware.zip makes the keyboard brick, and can only be reset by "util for xwhatsit running QMK firmware"'s Enter bootloader button.

PrivateCain

09 Apr 2021, 05:54

Gave up on QMK, and found out that you need to flash firmware first then run the ibm capsense usb util. Now it works perfectly. Thanks all for helping me out :)

Muirium
µ

09 Apr 2021, 10:09

Hey, can't argue with "and finally, it just works!" You're welcome.

Ellipse

13 Apr 2021, 23:47

PrivateCain please check out the main project thread - I just updated the QMK firmware a couple days ago to fix the weak solenoid default firmware setting - link in one of my recent posts. I also noted the new firmware's key press combinations to enter bootloader without having to short any pads on the controller.

Unfortunately firmware created by the main QMK project web site will not work as Model F has not yet been submitted to the QMK project, and firmware created by pandrew's QMK web site won't have firmware settings that allow a working solenoid by default. More details on the project thread.

billm

10 Oct 2023, 01:57

PrivateCain wrote:
09 Apr 2021, 03:59
So I figured out how to put the keyboard in bootload mode
You did? How? I've tried everything I can thing of for the last 6 hours. How do you put this thing in bootload mode? I'm not even sure I'm shorting correctly because the god damn manual doesn't really make it clear what pins. The red ones in the box to each other no? Are you supposed to short them while the cable is plugged in? That's not what the manual says.

billm

10 Oct 2023, 15:44

OK well I finally got into bootloader mode by shorting the PROG pins. I had to find a pair of sharp tweezers to do this as the manual suggested. I also had to use a usb-c cable directly to my mac, not the usb-c to usb-a cable I typically use to plug the keyboard into the hub in my monitor. Even with this setup it takes serveral tries until it works. If you leave QMK Toolbox open you can see if it's switched modes or not on each attempt.

I've now re-mapped everything I need using vial. I can toggle the solenoid on/off, set the dwell, and use the other layers I'm used to.

Return to “Keyboards”