How to improve MX Blacks?

BrBurr

08 Apr 2021, 16:30

Hi Everyone, I recently acquired 4 Cherry G80-11900 keyboards with MX Blacks for 6USD from my local recyclers. I'm not a fan of Blacks due to them being to heavy for a linear switch in my opinion as well as scratchy. So What can I do to improve them? I'm already thinking about changing the switches in 2 of them (eyeing some box jades), improving the blacks as much as I can in 1, and keeping one stock. What do you all think I should do with them?

Cheers.
Last edited by BrBurr on 15 Apr 2021, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

08 Apr 2021, 16:34

Replacement switches sounds like the right idea for all of them. Experiment a bit and find out what you like.

So how are the caps? Cherry’s full code tells you want kind they are.

wiki/Cherry_article_numbers

ntv242ver2

08 Apr 2021, 17:20

Spring swap, lubing, and filming can help. Pretty much the same thing applies to most mx clones linear as well

Go-Kart

08 Apr 2021, 17:50

BrBurr wrote:
Hi Everyone, I recently acquired 4 Cherry G80-11900 keyboards with MX Blacks for 6USD from my local recyclers. I'm not a fan of Blacks due to them being to heavy for a linear switch in my opinion as well as scratchy. So What can I do to improve them? I'm already thinking about changing the switches in 2 of them (eyeing some box jades), improving the blacks as much as I can in 1, and keeping one stock. What do you all think I should do with them?

Cheers.
I had a similar query a few weeks ago. Here are the various responses from a few members.

Bjerrk

08 Apr 2021, 18:56

BrBurr wrote:
I'm already thinking about changing the switches in 2 of them (eyeing some box jades)
Remember to factor in the mount type/number of pins. Box jades are not available as 5pin/PCB mount, are they?

I have a few Cherry G80-xxxx boards, and I swapped the MX Blacks for some (5pin) Kailh Polias in my G80-1800. I'm even typing on it right now - great little keyboard.

Return to “Keyboards”